May 06, 2024, 01:37:37 PM

Author Topic: Just got my lost grimoire! Let's discuss!  (Read 8262 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Just got my lost grimoire! Let's discuss!
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
I am leafing through my newest acquisition and there are so many great new things i wanna talk about! Right out of the gate i want to mention Meridias blessing! This thing looks like a druids best friend at first, but at a second glance this might make mana flower a more favorable option than mana crystal when both are out of school. I have to see if i can find board space to fit it into, but this thing looks like the swarm runners new go to tool. I'm really looking forward to giving it a try, anyone else had any luck with it yet?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Just got my lost grimoire! Let's discuss!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
Mind's Eye has so many possibilities.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
The top 3 (4ish) cards that I'm most excited about.

-Waterfall Cloak + Chitin Armor is a possibility. I never liked Chitin Armor that much, but the clock gives you -5 acid, that means acid ball have 1 corrode at 6+ and 2 corrode at 11+, not great but a lot better. (also the poor Devouring Jelly have the minimum of 1 atk dice and 1 corrode at 11+)

-Mordok's Tome should make guessing the opponents move a lot harder. (I think people at just going to have a seeking dispel or minor teleport)

-Hunting Spear!!!!!  Awesome, the melee cripple chance is not great but throwing it :). Think of this, you can make this into a 6 dice attack with the J-beastmaster. Also this could be are "first" Nature Attack Spell's, and it has a cantrip type ability! I only wish my Druid could use it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
Excellent choices! I've got to throw some love Joseph Truebloods way! Holy crap is this guy efficient against dark and non living things. And a 2 dice heal at range 2? That's insane! He's a bit squishy if you're not against a dark mage but wow is he a baller for what he does. Anyone else feel like he might see a lot of play?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:14 PM »
So many awesome cards in this set. 

Top three for my swarm master

Meridas blessing
Hunting spear
Mountain ram

Top three for my necro

Altar of infernia
Demonic bloodlust
Wall of Poison gas

Love to experiment with

Minds eye
Summoning circle
Trample ---Titandon and the rhino

Most likely  to be in most of my books

Clear mind
Critical strike
Waterfall cloak or gloves of skill

Arcane wonders is killing it this year in content!!!!

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
Ok my Top 3 in no order

Demonic Bloodlust: This NOT something you wanted me to lay hands on! My goodness this will go a long way to making certain creatures horrifying.

Hunting Spear: Know what I like? Curse Items not a good idea here. I'll just throw it back into my book. Oh the Johktari fun.

Woolly Rhino: It's a large angry rhino that trampled people. Can't wait to make him a pet in competitive play.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 03:47:01 AM »
For me the standouts are Ballista, Chitin Armour, Waterfall Cloak, Vorpal Blade and Critical Strike.

Meridia's Blessing, Altar of Infernia, Confused Mind and Messenger of Bim Shalla all get honourable mentions. Mountain Goat and Magma Golem are fantastic answers to specific problems.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
Chitin Armor+Waterfall cloak combo looks amazing.

Mind's eye is amazing for thoughtspores.

Critical strike is really good for anyone who wants to melee.

Mordok's Tome is a wonderful spell. It's like having an extra wand, except the "attached" spell doesn't get reused, but the spell can be anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
Top cards i really like for me are

Critical Strike! Its better then Rust for my Warlord! Its ignoring 3 armor :)
Gloves of Skill! Dwarf with runed elemental staff with Hurl Rock... hell yea :)
Mountain ram has a special place in my hearth, so third place is for him :) ,,

All other cards are also cool. Wooly, Wall of poison gas and Altar of Infernia are cards i can build a book around them  :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
Mordok's Tome is a wonderful spell. It's like having an extra wand, except the "attached" spell doesn't get reused, but the spell can be anything!

Imo this card is best early game,  gets less useful as time goes on, and is only really useful cast from a battle forge. Remember that it gives you more options but no extra actions. This why I say it best played early game or in time where you need to have answers to an opponent you are not sure what there next move will be or you fear something but only enough for it to be a possible action that turn. However with experience this will come more naturally. It's not a bad card just not something you will see in a lot of builds.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
Seeking dispel is my extra card of choice 90% of the time
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
Seeking dispel is my extra card of choice 90% of the time

However isn't Hugin better? Peek and see if it is worth dispelling and an extra action for casting incantations and an extra mana.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Thats fair.
Ive never used him that way though. Its usually to teleport or force push into my zone or walls. Have you had success with hugins peek ability?

As far as the tome or hugin the spells get discarded after use so its really where you want to put the spell. And the fact that the wiz can take 2 seeking dispels for what most mages pay for 1 is great

https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Thats fair.
Ive never used him that way though. Its usually to teleport or force push into my zone or walls. Have you had success with hugins peek ability?

I haven't personally, however it is a viable use. The only caveat to this play is any card planned on Hugin will "Bind" to him until the end of turn and if he is killed then that card is also discarded. On the other hand if you do not plan a plan then you could telegraph how you intend to use him this turn.

And the fact that the wiz can take 2 seeking dispels for what most mages pay for 1 is great

The can of worms about Arcane spells I will leave shut as it could easily derail the thread. All I will say is that is something that still gives the wizard its viability and high tier status.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
I tend to have a few Seeking Dispels on a Wizard, and loads on a build with Huginn. I'm happy to spend 2 mana and an action to counter your 2 mana, and what was probably a more valuable action.

Then when your opponent starts revealing them immediately, you switch to Disperse and make a profit against your opponent!