May 19, 2024, 12:36:20 AM

Author Topic: Some help with my AC if you would be so kind?  (Read 3089 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Some help with my AC if you would be so kind?
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Demons run[/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]1 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]4 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a04]4 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j12]2 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]2 x  Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c01]1 x  Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]2 x  Blood Demon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]4 x  Infernian Scourger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c16]1 x  Flaming Hellion[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]2 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE01]1 x  Adramelech's Touch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]2 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ02]1 x  Bloodfire Helmet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q28]1 x  Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q10]2 x  Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]2 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i25]1 x  Shift Enchantment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i15]1 x  Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I feel pretty dumb having sat down to make a book, finishing it and deciding to post it and ask for help now. because once i got here I saw that Sharkbait just posted his kick-ass book a little while ago. And though these big tournament winning/placing/representing  names are daunting , and i do feel a bit sheepish with my admittedly newbie construction here. But never the less perhaps you adepts might lend me a suggestion or two.

Basically i think its lacking in focus. i tried to focus on the demons in a different way, and the first draft had a Gate to Hell in it, but darn it if i didn't need those 6 SP elsewhere. i feel like i may need to make room for another battle forge because they are such a huge surging wave target, i also eddited a force hammer and a mage wand. i wanted to try something themey and i think i ended up a bit too generic. Any thoughts everyone?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Some help with my AC if you would be so kind?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »
One thing that often helps focus a spellbook is to plan an opening. In an ideal world, how do you start the game? How does that change against different mages?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
Ultimately what I've found to help focus my builds are to plan out an opening, like RingKichard suggested. However, when I'm first building a book, it may also do well to plan out an ending. How do you plan on ending the game?

Are you planning on casting more than one demon when Adramelech comes into play? Are you ever going to cast 4 scourgers? My experience with scourgers is limited, but I haven't found a way to use them that I've liked. It might be good to draw down a little on the creature selection. I would personally run 2 Blood Demons, the Hellion (the gator toughness card in academy is really good on these guys), and maybe Adramelech if you actually plan to cast him. Keep in mind though, he's legendary so you'll want to cast a blood reaper as well which will accrue quite a mana investment.

Another thing that people seem to overlook is how beneficial practicing with a book is. Find out what works and in what situation, then figure out what you can change. If you end up never casting something, cut it and replace it with something you will use to make the end-goal engine run.

Plan out a few openings, and a few ways you'd like to end and we can go on developing from there.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »
I guess the Cloak doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I am wondering why it is in the book if you plan to melee the opponent as evidenced by the Gauntlets and multiple Lashes, etc. Is there a specific reason for including it?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:09:59 AM »
Ok so i played it this evening against my buddys FM. I won after a good match, but i booked it too quickly and after the game i realized i forgot to put in the Marked for deaths. i swapped out one Infernian Scourger, the Hurl rock, and Adramalechs touch for another nullify and a mage wand.

The cloak is there in case i need to maintain  distance for a few turns to get curses or fireballs thrown out, its pretty situational, and yeah it could probably get edited for something more useful.

I have a few openings in mind, one for each wildly generic reaction type.
I can do the first turn sprint/ mana crystal. 2nd turn Adramalech, nothing, 3rd turn fd enchantment on either, punch or fireblast or ball. Thats if i see an obvious economy play 1st turn but to be honest LoF doesn't usually hit game if hes not played in this manner.
I could go Mana crystal battle forge 1st turn, which is the one i used tonight, 2nd turn mana crystal, Infernian Scourger, and either ring off the forge (this game was curses first) , 3rd turn Scourger, fd enchant.

As for endgames, theres the burns and direct damage with poison blood route. the death by buffed demons route (which was the original idea, but i get sidetracked when building sometimes). and the full agro fire and LOF rush.

I cant really give a comprehensive account of how well this book will do against others though, because neither I nor my buddy are very good with a forcemaster, and the inherent likelihood of a thoughtspore dying to a fireball being so high, the strategy worked out a bit better than it probably would have against one of his better mages.

the helmet didnt get used at all and will probably get replaced by something else, but what?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
Don't judge the usefulness of one spell or another on one game. If you play several times against different Mages and perhaps different opponents and don't find yourself using it, then you might want to look at switching out the equipment. It might just be in that particular game that it wasn't useful, whereas in another it will be very much so.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess