May 16, 2024, 01:23:24 AM

Author Topic: Are creature abilities (eg card text) turned off by Incapacitated?  (Read 2755 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
From Codex 3.1:
Incapacitated (Effect)
An Incapacitated creature cannot take any actions, including moving, attacking, guarding, or casting spells. It cannot make a counterstrike. It cannot use any Defenses, except for mandatory-reveal enchantments that count as a Defense. It cannot guard; remove any guard markers on it. A Flying creature loses, and cannot gain, the Flying trait as long as it is Incapacitated. Any damage barrier on an Incapacitated creature continues to function normally. Other creatures may ignore an Incapacitated creature, and it cannot hinder the movememt of enemies. An Incapacitated creature still takes an Action Phase (normally, the action marker is simply flipped over). Conjurations cannot be Incapacitated. Mages are affected by Incapacitation differently. A Mage's mind is so powerful that even if he is Incapacitated he can still work his magic! An Incapacitated Mage can still use actions to cast quick non-attack spells. He cannot cast full spells or attack spells.

I've highlighted the key part in red.... which doesn't seem to apply to my question (see *edit* below).

Example case: Sherean Leviathan:

If Sherean Leviathan becomes Incapacitated (say, by [mwcard=MW1I26]Sleep[/mwcard]) while in a zone with an aquatic terrain attached, does it still restrain enemy non-Mage non-aquatic creatures?
(Aside: It's interesting that Sherean Leviathan also restrains Flying creatures, which causes them to lose Flying... so he's kind of like a Knockdown + Tanglevine in one - albeit far more difficult to destroy and with a powerful bite!)

Similarly, the same question applies to lots of creatures, from friendly affects like [mwcard=MW1C20]Highland Unicorn[/mwcard] to damaging effects like Disciple of Radiance. Does Incapacitate turn off their card text - e.g. allow enemies to ignore it, and/or prevent friendly creatures from being affected by it?

*edit* Partially answered my own question, as the codex states that Ignore is a game term:
Ignore (Game Term)
An ignored enemy creature cannot hinder movement of friendly creatures. An ignored enemy creature that is guarding does not have to be attacked when making a melee attack.

This implies that the card text of an Incapacitated creature still applies, since nothing in the codex states otherwise (e.g. it can't guard and can't hinder anything and can't take actions and loses some traits like Flying and any defenses, but nothing explicitly says it loses any other abilities).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Are creature abilities (eg card text) turned off by Incapacitated?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Dont have the rulebooks with me.

What does unstoppable do?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
Dont have the rulebooks with me.

What does unstoppable do?

It doesn't do anything that prevents getting Incapacitated - although it does have fewer ways of getting Incapacitated; e.g. Unstoppable is immune to [mwcard=FWI03]Force Bash[/mwcard], which is a way to get Incapacitated via Slam.

Unstoppable (Object Trait)
This creature is exceptionally large, heavy, and/or strong, possibly animated by powerful magics. It is virtually impostible to hold or push. This creature cannot be hindered. It also has both the Unmovable and Uncontainable traits.

Also, even if Sherean Levithan has some trait that includes being immune to Incapacitate in some way, my question still applies to non-Unstoppable creatures like any of the Unicorns or Disciple of Radiance or countless other creatures that have card text describing a passive ability. E.g. Does an Incapacitated Wychwood Faerie still grant a mana discount if in the same zone as your Beastmaster?

*edit* Unmovable just means "can't be Pushed." Uncontainable doesn't really have a definition in the codex other than to say that some spells will explicitly specify that they don't work against Uncontainable creatures... oh, and Uncontainable cannot be Restrained (this isn't mentioned in the codex under Uncontainable, but is addressed under Restrained). (e.g. [mwcard=MW1J22]Tanglevine[/mwcard],[mwcard=FWJ07] Quicksand[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E16] Force Hold[/mwcard], etc specify they don't work against Uncontainable creatures, as does the Stuck condition). As far as I can tell, Uncontainable can still become Incapacitated.

P.S. Current versions of all rule books, codex and rule supplements are available here in .pdf format:
http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:54:02 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
As far as I know, being incapacitated does not stop card text from triggering. Similar to how being incapacitated does not stop flame immunity or regenerate etc.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:57:14 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest