May 16, 2024, 06:53:44 PM

Author Topic: All kinds of maximum-rules  (Read 2768 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
All kinds of maximum-rules
« on: October 04, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
Hey guys,

For clarification I need some help with allowed maximum quantities in different ways.

On the counter:
- Maximum life is infinite (i found out in this forum via sunfire amulet).
- Maximum mana also?
- Maximum channaling also? (I will never reach that last marker anyway. More theoretic)

On gameboard:
What happens when markers and? No more expansion on board possible or switch to using helpers?
- More creatures possible? (Action markers run empty)
- More burn and other effectmarkers possible? (Playing with 2 mainsets gives more markers here)
- more vine-markers possible? (That question brought me here and i nearly forgot it)
- more mana and damage markers possible?

Cards maximums are clearly ruled.

I guess these were are all things that can get empty while playing too slow ;D.

Thanks for a summery!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: All kinds of maximum-rules
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Aside from that last one, all are technically infinite. However, the base game should come with more than enough for all or at least the vast majority of 1v1 games. You might not have enough action markers for every team game, but you can buy extras of those separately, or use coins to represent the extra action markers if you want to be cheap lol.

Generally speaking, if in a 1v1 game players end up with more actions, mana, life or channeling than they can keep track of on the status tracker or with the action markers that come with the core set, both players are probably turtling WAY too much. Don't forget that the objective in the base game is to kill the enemy mage.

If you go over on any of these things, don't hesitate to write down the number instead, or purchase extra components. Although if you want to save money, I would advise practicing more so that you know when to go on the defensive and when to go on the offensive. You could also buy the battlegrounds:domination set, since unless I'm mistaken it already has extra action markers that come with it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Oh, sweet!

Especially for life, vines and level1-swarm-creature-markers reaching those maximums happens sometimes. Even when trying to rush against it.

We had no problem helping out with helpers like coins, but good to know the ruling!

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »

Generally speaking, if in a 1v1 game players end up with more actions, mana, life or channeling than they can keep track of on the status tracker or with the action markers that come with the core set, both players are probably turtling WAY too much. Don't forget that the objective in the base game is to kill the enemy mage.

I disagree here, a mage who is attacking each turn and has permanent sources of damage on the board, will start to rack up mana quite quickly. I have played with a Beastmaster book that had ~40 mana on his status board. I used a mana token on the 35 to signify that I had looped the track once.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »

I disagree here, a mage who is attacking each turn and has permanent sources of damage on the board, will start to rack up mana quite quickly. I have played with a Beastmaster book that had ~40 mana on his status board. I used a mana token on the 35 to signify that I had looped the track once.

Consider adding some quick action attack spells or incantations to your spellbook. This will use between 8 and 16 mana a round during your quickcast action on top of your attack action and kill your opponent faster.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin