May 02, 2024, 05:32:15 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363206 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »
The 2 new heroes seem rather balanced compared to the "old" ones. Good to see there's not too much power creep already in the Mage area.

The Holy Avenger seems a little hard to pull off. The phrase "another friendly creature" suggests the holy avenger is not included as the legal trigger condition.

It's not, so basically you have to wait for another friendly creature (your mage included) to be hit before attacking.  While it's certainly not convenient, it's not all that difficult (having another creature on Guard works).  Obviously a clever opponent may be able to use your targeting restrictions to his advantage.   

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:15 AM »
i.....need.....moar.....spoilers.....nauw!

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »

I think we've seen all the cards from this set at this point.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »

I think we've seen all the cards from this set at this point.

then my life serves no purpose until we see the next expansion :(

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
That would be sad, where is the invading priest army? :D Or a new holy attack spell I was waiting for :). I think (hope) there are still some cards left, probably around 5-10. If we have seen all the new cards, it is still an awesome expansion, but we have seen much more nature spells than holy, so it makes me wonder if there will be more.

Edit: I guess we will know it in 1-2 days when the first lucky guys get their expansions at origins.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:04:26 AM by szendroib »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
Wizard's Tower looks very cool, and should probably be an auto include (although not necessarily an auto play) for every Wizard. Using cheap attack spells will generally be the order of the day, but you can switch into burst damage if appropriate, plus it acts as fantastic swarm suppression.

The new Beastmaster looks interesting. She'll have a better reason to use the Lair than the original BM, and I can see playing Lair in FC on the first turn being a way to really pressure your opponent quickly. The lack of Quick Summoning will make it harder for her to swarm, but Wounded Prey is great innate swarm support. It's basically a free Marked for Death for your animals. The new bow will synergize nicely with her animal options.

The new Priest looks like a much better fit for my play style than the Priestess. Holy Avenger is worse than Pet, but still a valuable ability. Malakai's Fire sounds amazing. I'll need to think a bit harder about how to manage mana efficiently with him, since he has more things to spend mana on and lower channeling, but I'm looking forward to playing him.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
I find it a little disappointing that there are only half as many card in this set as the Forcemaster vs. Warlord. Looking at it comparatively one might think that for 75% of the cost you would get close to the same number of cards but no spellbooks and heck even if we call the spellbooks from FvW freebies that would still indicate that we should get 75% as many cards. I'm sorry and I don't mean to be offensive, but it seems like a huge drop in value per dollar.

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
If you put it that way it definately is, but on the other hand this set will bring much more changes and possibilities to the game than the previous one did. So I am much more excited for this set than for Forcemaster vs Warlord. That said I really don't think they should include spellbooks in future expansions. I will have 6 after I get my copy, and it will be more than enough. I get it that if someone only gets the base game and a later expansion, they need more books, especially if they only play with the starter decks and than they can have all the books ready. But even than they wouldn't need 2 new spellbooks with the spelltome expansions.

I would like it more if the expansions would be a little cheaper and the books were sold separately, but it is still worth the money for the variety it brings. Without the books you would get 100ish cards in a small, card sized box. It would be harder to put some epic artwork on it, it wouldn't look that good on the store shelf, and the lower cost probably wouldn't worth the lot of time they invested in the expansion. So I guess one needs to consider a lot of factors :).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:15:12 PM by szendroib »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
Perhaps a large part of the price in any given set is the cost of the cards themselves....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
Might be, they have really great quality.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »
from my manufacturing knowledge I would assume that the price really does not 100% relate to the amount of cards. I always assume 50% of the cost is the fixed cost (set up, boxes, construction etc) while the rest is variable depending on the contents. I would be shocked if they are paying more then 1c per card to produce so I know the amount of cards really doesn't effect the price. and Lets not forget they are trying to make a profit like every good company should. and compared to other games in Australia every mage wars accessory is so cheap compared to the FF and WOTC counterparts
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »
from my manufacturing knowledge I would assume that the price really does not 100% relate to the amount of cards. I always assume 50% of the cost is the fixed cost (set up, boxes, construction etc) while the rest is variable depending on the contents. I would be shocked if they are paying more then 1c per card to produce so I know the amount of cards really doesn't effect the price. and Lets not forget they are trying to make a profit like every good company should. and compared to other games in Australia every mage wars accessory is so cheap compared to the FF and WOTC counterparts

how many cost MW in Australia? do you know any web?

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »
If any lucky individual got the expansion at Origins, could he/she share if there are other cards in the new set besides the spoiled ones?

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »
If any lucky individual got the expansion at Origins, could he/she share if there are other cards in the new set besides the spoiled ones?
And rules please.