May 02, 2024, 07:51:06 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363209 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
Here's my thinking:

In an agro deck, I'm usually doing something to get my mage hurt: attacking into a guarding Iron Golem, walking into caltrops, taking attacks from a Gorgon Archer, getting set on fire, etc. Once I've taken even a small amount of damage, it seems much more efficient to heal 2 than to gain 1. Regrowth Belt will negate a Poison Gas Cloud, for example, while Sunfire Amulet won't be able to keep up. And if an Agro deck gets back down to 0 damage, it's probably winning already and doesn't need to go further.

In a control deck with other healing spells, though, Sunfire can be threatening. A Wizard with Sunfire Amulet and a Mage Staff of Heal is potentially really troublesome because once he stabilizes the game, he can heal himself better than he started.

It's also worth considering that regen from the belt can be used to remove bleed tokens, but life gain can't. On the other hand, if your opponent is doing lots of tainted damage, it's possible that you'll run out of vanilla damage to heal and it'll be more efficient to gain life instead.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:12:34 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:25 AM »
"Spiked pit can only target a zone with no enemy non flying creatures"

Wow, this trap can be played in zone with enemy creatures!

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
I really like spiked pit, it has a lot of uses, it will definately be in my beastmaster deck. On the other hand my problem with the sunfire amulet is, that it will potentially lengthen the already long priestess games. I only play for fun, and not competetively (I don't have any enemy in my region:( ). In competetive games I see how it can be a game changer in longer matches.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2013, 04:50:44 AM »
Sunfire Amulet! Holy Moly Batman! That can just about guarantee Deathlock coming out and then getting an Explode/Dissolve! Let that go for a 3-4 round and the game will quickly get away from the opposing Mage.

Spiked Pit: 7 Mana for a 4 dice unavoidable Piercing +2 attack, a bit pricey but with even a decent roll would break even add in the 100%  chance of getting Stuck: Restrained and Unmovable. Roll a 7+ to remove and a 4 removal cost. Not sure of what type of spell you could use to remove Stuck. Now a Knockdown (typically not that useful) + Spiked Pit could be quite a interesting combo against the big flyers!

Spiked pit cannot be used together with knockdown to trap a flying creature - although it would make perfect sense if it could.
A flying creature enters the zone flying - only ground units trigger trap. When you knockdown the creature in your next action phase, then the creature aint "entering the zone" and again trap wont trigger.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »
These are both pretty cool.  The Sunfire Amulet will certainly see its way into a lot of spellbooks (at least initially), but we'll have to wait and see what kind of impact it has on the game, if any.  Having both Sunfire Amulet on and some form of Regeneration will be a nice combo.  I look forward to trying it, especially in my Priestess who will enjoy the potential of gaining two life a turn.

Spiked Pit...finally, another trap!  I like this one quite a bit, mostly due to the 100% chance of a Stuck condition.  The damage isn't bad either.  All in all, more traps are a good thing, makes it harder for the opponent to know exactly what you've played.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »
A flying creature enters the zone flying - only ground units trigger trap.

Very interesting, this would then apply to Manger Caltrops, Quicksand and any other of the Traps? I have considered the loss flight as entering in to zone as a ground unit.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
sIke, I think it would be nice and thematic in some ways to make that a rule. Although that would completely screw up a flying unit that guards like the Guardian Angel, unless it was worded in such a way that this only applies when they involuntarily lose flight.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »
Honestly, since it is a trap, if your opponent decided to Guard that to would be entering the zone. to me the idea of a trap is a deterrence of movement. Most of the time Flyers get to ignore most hindrances, once they are on the ground they should be fair game and open to all of the rules of the ground pounders, they just enter the zone a bit differently. 

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Well that would make Caltrops a lot more powerful.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »

Adding life. Wow..

We already have a long game play with the normal life. We even cut our game life by half to speed the game up. This item will add more game time. Can't believe I will have to bring more dissolves or steal item. We may ban this item locally to speed up the game. If both mages play this, the game will not end in time.

At round 3 you have 3 more life. Normally aggressive play does start til round 2~3 so the opponent already has 2 to 3 additional life you have to worry about.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
As I've played more, the game has sped up dramatically. I'm not too concerned by Sunfire Amulet slowing down the game. I'm trying to figure out whether it's too slow to be worthwhile or not.

Spiked Pit is very cool. The Warlord should get some mileage out of it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
I recall you can get more mana then what is the max on the cards but can you get more than 41 life. this could be a problem because the warlock would only need 3 turns to max his life......of sweet Jesus I get it now sun fire + blood reaper. the 5 cost you pay will in turn make its money back by allowing you to spam the blood reaper buff
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

patrickconnor

« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
We finally have out first attack card from the upcoming Conquest of Kumanjaro and an interesting card it is. 5 Mana for 3 dice of damage with a very good chance to Slam (not one of my favorites) and a bit under a 50% chance of an additional Push. This puts it in the in the lower half of attack spells. 

Of interest is that this card and Geyser are the only spells with the Hydro trait and we see a new trait "Extinguish". Need more detail on this trait before I can come to a final conclusion about the over all usefulness of this card.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
I'm liking it... mostly. The fact that it is a Water card and relatively cheap is nice, we need more water cards! I'm guess extinguish is probably the text from Geyser turned into a keyword. If so this card is fairly versatile giving a slightly longer range option with an almost guaranteed slam (a marginally better effect then Geyser's Daze) and possible push effect, though I'm not crazy about the fact that it can't target flying creatures.

Given it's general cost effectiveness I guess we'll just have to accept that it's no good against flying creatures... or flying allies for that matter (if extinguish is what I think it is).