May 02, 2024, 03:09:58 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363199 times)

patrickconnor

Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
Wow! A Harpy finally! Wow a Daze on 4+ a 2:3 chance! It doesn't hit hard, but can shutdown the big guys with that daze for a mere 11 Mana. I think we finally have something to easily counter the LOF opening or teleport a Big (Vamp/Hydra/Angel) opening. I am not even sure of what kind of damage the purple circle thing causes :)

I like it a lot!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:01:13 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »
I believe the purple damage is Psychic, like the Psylock does.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
@sike purple with the eye is psychic attack (page 26 rule book)

so this could stop all large teleports apart from arguably the best rush teleport the iron golem (psychic immunity) additionally it would be soon countered by mind shield enchantment (but I forgot if it is a permanent enchantment or like block)
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »
Huh!
The Harpy is interesting! I don't know what to make of it.
4+ daze seems pretty great, and it's unavoidable, so slapping on a defense enchantment isn't going to help.

It seems pretty durable for the cost, even if it can't contribute a whole lot of damage on its own.

I guess this joins the Psylock as a flying creature with a ranged attack. Interesting that it's a full round action (like all ranged attacks?). You can run from a Harpy, and if it follows you, it can only claw.

Is this being printed as Forcemaster hate, or is it just a coincidence that it halves the solo Forcemaster's damage output, is unavoidable, and flies? It's vulnerable to push/pull because of its full action attack and 0-0 range, and Forcefield still works against it, but daze is only removed at the end of the action phase so double strikes from Galvitar or the second attack from Battle Fury both have a 50% chance of failure. The Scimitar is autonomous, though, so it's immune to the daze condition on the Forcemaster.

In re-reading the daze rules, I just discovered that the -2 to defenses from daze markers stacks if you have more than one daze, even though a single 7+ roll is enough to act normally no matter how many markers you have. If you use the Harpy to hit a creature that has already acted, and have initiative next turn and hit it again before it acts, you can then quickcast a spell at it with -4 defense. That's a long way to go to for a small benefit, but if you're desperate it's something to remember.

Arcane gets all the naked-lady status-inflicting creatures, I guess.

I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »
So many good arcana spells, and not so good nature spells in this expansion. Maybe wizard will be instead beastmaster.  :)

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2013, 07:16:26 AM »
I like the new nature spells, I can build a better canine spellbook now, and we will get some good bigger creatures aswell (only one I don't like so much is the new lion). However I'm still waiting for some new holy spells. The new priest looks like he has a more agressive approach than the priestess, so I hope we will get at least 1 new holy attack spell, and some more agressive holy cards. I felt that in the original game beastmaster and the priestess had less choice than the other new mages, but it seems like this expansion will change it. I already see a lot of potential for new beastmaster decks, and I hope the same will happen to holy aswell in this expansion.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Wow, I like both of these last two previews.  The boots are effectively a Cobra Reflexes that can be cast from a Battleforge and another way to stack more Defense dice.  I can see putting this card in a lot of builds, especially ones running Battleforge.

The Harpy is an excellent addition to the Air Wizard (or any Wizard for that matter).  4+ Daze to go along with all the Lightning stuff?  Yes please!  This gives an excellent option for the Wizard to stall the aggro-beat-down mages and the "one big" builds that are so popular.  It's possible to add to her ranged attack too with a Hawkeye or a Marked for Death if you really wanted to, but clearly not necessary.

As for previous previews, I think the bow is pretty cool and will be fun to play with (it's obviously meant to go with the new Beastmistress).  The Lion I don't think is very good.  Too expensive for what it does and how duable it is(n't).  Should probably only cost 14 or 15

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »
Dire Wolf does kinda make Makunda look bad, but I wonder if we aren't undervaluing the defense some? When I first started, I thought Bitterwood Fox made Feral Bobcat look bad, but the kitty has grown on me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:37:45 AM by ringkichard »

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
Or maybe there will be a new cat type creature in the set we haven't seen yet. If it's powerful enough, than Makunda's buff could be better than we think. But it's only speculation, based on that there is only 1 other legendary and 1 other common cat creature in the game if I'm right. We would need more for Makunda to shine.

patrickconnor

« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

patrickconnor

« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
Sunfire Amulet! Holy Moly Batman! That can just about guarantee Deathlock coming out and then getting an Explode/Dissolve! Let that go for a 3-4 round and the game will quickly get away from the opposing Mage.

Spiked Pit: 7 Mana for a 4 dice unavoidable Piercing +2 attack, a bit pricey but with even a decent roll would break even add in the 100%  chance of getting Stuck: Restrained and Unmovable. Roll a 7+ to remove and a 4 removal cost. Not sure of what type of spell you could use to remove Stuck. Now a Knockdown (typically not that useful) + Spiked Pit could be quite a interesting combo against the big flyers!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:29:00 PM by sIKE »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
Sunfire Amulet: Regrowth Belt for control books?

Spiked Pit: I was just thinking the other day that there would be a good combo with a card like this. Wish I could remember what.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
ring more than regrowth add to your over all Life. Which in the game means a lot, at least to me.