May 02, 2024, 12:53:43 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363196 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
If this and Poisoned Blood are attached to the same creature, how does the timing work if both players choose to reveal at the same time?

It goes initiative order. So one player says I am going to reveal an enchant (if the other player has initiative) do you have some you want to reveal? If you have initiative the other player has to wait till after the reveal. It is clean and simple.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »
I believe the timing reverts to whoever has the initiative marker in that case.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
Couldnt you just wait and reveal Poison Blood during the "roll dice" step of the healing to let it go off and then make them gain 0 no matter what they roll?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Healing Charm can triple-dip from Divine Favor (priestess ability), Ring of Asyra and Enchanters Ring. This in and of itself makes it far superior to Bull EndurAnce.

The triple dip is appealing, but if you were going to cast two rings, would they really be Ring of Asyra and Enchanter's Ring and not a Dawnbreaker Ring?

I'm always happy to be proven wrong about cards I doubt: I like a diverse meta. I guess we'll see when it's available to everyone. 

The other notable thing is that while Healing Charm can be seeking dispelled, it is "resistant" to purge/destroy. When a purge or destroy is declared, you can reveal healing charm and resolve the healing prior to the Resolve Spell step.

That's a good point, and one I totally missed.

The main reason you'd keep healing charm unrevealed is if your creature hasn't taken 8 damage yet. (Since there is a 0.4% chance you could roll 8 healing)

You'd wait till 8, really? This seems like a "push your luck" situation. A bad surprise or an unlucky roll could kill your creature while you were looking for a .4% improvement to your expected value. It's obviously context dependent, but generally if I healed 7 on a creature with only 6 wounds, I'd just be happy to have rolled the 6 and write off the wasted point.

The other reason is to trick your opponent into not killing your unit, for example if it has 1 health left and is stuck in a poison gas cloud. Your opponent might not bother finishing it off if he thinks it will die anyways, so you save healing charm until just before the next Upkeep phase.

Yeah, that's what I meant by misallocation of resources. And it's an okay tactic, but in this case the creature's still going to be awfully near death. In your example, my creature heals ~4 and then takes 2 damage is is left at ~3 health. (There's a chance I only heal 1, but let's not worry about that too much.) Then, if I have initiative, I get to try to rescue it with teleport/force push/whatever in my quick cast phase, or I can use it for one more attack before you kill it. If I don't have initiative, you get a second chance to kill it in the quick cast phase, but you're probably not prepared for that unless you have Arcane Zap or an elemental wand/thoughtspore. Then you get to activate a creature before I do and probably just finish the injured critter anyway.

I mean, sometimes it'll work beautifully, but it doesn't seem like the reason to include the card. Minor Heal seems better, and that's only borderline playable?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
Couldnt you just wait and reveal Poison Blood during the "roll dice" step of the healing to let it go off and then make them gain 0 no matter what they roll?

Quote from: Rulebook p. 18-19
If both players want to reveal an enchantment at the same time, the player with the initiative goes first. He may reveal as many enchantments as he wants, one at a time, resolving each one before revealing the next. When he is finished, then the other player may reveal any enchantments, revealing and resolving them one at a time. Then the first player can reveal again, and so on. Each enchantment is resolved as soon as it is revealed.

Enchantments don't seem to have resolution steps. This comes up in Piusflea's recent question about Enchantment Transfer and Nullify.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

Quote from: Rulebook p. 18-19
If both players want to reveal an enchantment at the same time, the player with the initiative goes first. He may reveal as many enchantments as he wants, one at a time, resolving each one before revealing the next. When he is finished, then the other player may reveal any enchantments, revealing and resolving them one at a time. Then the first player can reveal again, and so on. Each enchantment is resolved as soon as it is revealed.

Enchantments don't seem to have resolution steps. This comes up in Piusflea's recent question about Enchantment Transfer and Nullify.

Derp.. I was thinking of the attack sequence.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
Are the previews all done?  We haven't seen one in about three days so I'm not sure if that's it or not

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Are the previews all done?  We haven't seen one in about three days so I'm not sure if that's it or not

+1. But I'm sure the next will be Makunda. :)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

+1. But I'm sure the next will be Makunda. :)

Lol, don't jinx us ;)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
They tend to come down 21:00-22:00 EDT.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
They tend to come down 21:00-22:00 EDT.

I know, but the last preview was three days ago  :-\

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »
Two new spoilers on Facebook:
Remember to lead your target...
The true king of Kumanjaro...
I'm not sure those links will work if you haven't become a fan of Mage Wars on Facebook. If not, that's easily corrected!

patrickconnor

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »

patrickconnor

« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »

patrickconnor

« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »