May 02, 2024, 10:55:17 AM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363191 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:34 AM »
Not that exciting, but it's probably not supposed to be. This continues the "every ability has an enchantment" theme. It's only a matter of time before the equal and opposite, "This creature gains incorporeal" enchantment is printed.

3 mana for the reveal seems kinda high, but the spell level is right to include it as a silver bullet in most control decks. Agro decks will probably continue to play Mage Staff or curses.

Who plays mage staff in an aggro build?

Depends on the mage.  Obviously the Warlock and Forcemaster have better weapon options (although I think some people pack Mage Staff as a backup even in Warlock).  I play it in my Beastmaster aggro build, although there are some more options coming out for him in the form of Vorpal Blade and the mace that might be better options.  Still, Reach + Ethereal is pretty good on a 5 cost weapon...

As for the card itself, I LOVE the art.  Awesome.  For the ability, it's decent and can have it's uses, but will be tough to include in a lot of builds just because space is always so tight in spellbooks as it is.  It might make it into some Holy mage builds just because it is only 1 point for them.

Obviously the strength of this card will depend on how prevalent Incorporeal creatures will become.  Right now, there just aren't very many, so they are often not a problem (and there are plenty of Ethereal spells for the ones that are around).  I suspect that will change at some point (I'm hoping the Necromancer will have some ghost/specter type creatures).

One thing going for the card is that you can cast it on a creature, which you can't do with equipment.  I guess that way your Grizzly can go melee the crap out of that Wall of Fire  :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:02:53 AM by Koz »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
Who plays mage staff in an aggro build?

I do in Beastmaster, but I guess that might be nonstandard?  :o
It's cheaper to play than Staff of Beasts, and for the same spellbook cost. It hits flying familiars (Huginn, and Fellella obviously, but Thoughtspore, too), Poison Gas Clouds, and Whirling Spirit, all of which are good in control decks or midrange decks pushed into the control role.

Forcemaster and Warlock have better options, but I can see how I'd give it a try for Warlord too, maybe.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »
I keep forgetting not everybody has Gavikor. Sowie.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
Yet
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
I want to get these promos in the hands of players.  It is just with 23-25 cards to a sheet it is hard to fit them into a set. A while back AW did a explanation of how a print run was done.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
I suddenly understand why you want promos to be tournament legal.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
Divine Might will be nice for the Beastmaster and potentially the Warlord when they focus on playing and supporting creatures rather than attacking things directly. Mage Staff is pretty standard equipment, but the option to get your powerful creature you were supporting anyway to deal with incorporeal targets will be extremely helpful against mages that focus on those cards. There aren't that many yet, but they can already be somewhat problematic if you don't have a good card to deal with them. There are plenty of attack spells with ethereal, but I like to have a longer term solution both in case the attack spell doesn't kill the incorporeal target, and in case my opponent plays another incorporeal card that I want to destroy.

The Wizard, Priestess, and Forcemaster have easy enough access to ethereal attacks that Divine Might probably won't matter to them. It's more expensive to include in a Warlock build, so it's less likely to make the cut, particularly since most Warlock's will wade into combat, so Mage Staff is a cheaper solution to include in their spell book.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
If there was a beefy incorporeal agro creature, that'd really make an enchantment like this necessary. Is there anyone playing Bear Strength on Whirling Spirit? That could be mean. And the reason no one is doing it, is Bear Strength only goes on living creatures. Duh.

Incorporeal turns the expected value of a die (1d3-1) from 1 to 1/3. Now that I think about it, does that mean that without Ethereal attacks, Whirling Spirit is as durable as an Earth Elemental?  ???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:39:56 PM by ringkichard »

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
good wand!!! i need a hand for elemental wand, a hand for mage wand, for dispel wand...... XD

I need to be Dr. Octopus.....New character idea!!! XD

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
Sounds like a good use of a Battleforge....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

patrickconnor

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
Hello. And goodbye.

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
Hello. And goodbye.

Well Joe will definitely like this one.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
I think Drain Soul is too expensive to see much use, at least with the Warlock. I'd much rather play a Necropian Vampiress than Drain Soul with the Warlock. Maybe it will be better for the Necromancer.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »
gaining life +6 is different then healing +6 I think. so this card will be nice because it restores your max HP lost due to blood reaper. I haven't seen blood reaper's used in a game for a long time due to there being no easy way to restore your lost life.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
Do we know how this interacts with the life track if you cast it on your opponent?
It'd weird to have tainted markers on your mage and also have a life track. Does having a tainted marker reduce your life by 3 instead?