May 21, 2024, 02:30:24 AM

Author Topic: Queen City Beast Master II  (Read 11575 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Queen City Beast Master II
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
So this is the most recent version of my Straywood Beast Master. I think pretty much every expansion save Academy Warlock is in here. I've found it to be incredibly versatile and strong:

Queen City Beast Master II

EQUIPMENT:
Packleaders Cowl
Enchanters Ring
Chitin Armor
hunting Spear
Leather Gloves
Leather Chausses
Eagle Claw Boots X2
Regrowth BeltX2

CONJURATIONS:
Lair
Wall of Thorns
TanglevineX4
Rajans FuryX2
Mana FlowerX2

CREATURES:
Thunderift FalconX6
Cervere, The Forest Shadow
Steelclaw Grizzly
Wooly Rhinoceros
Slavorg, Fang of the First Moon
Timber WolfX2
Darkfenne Asp

ENCHANTMENTS:
Lion Savagery
Mongoose Agility
Cheetah Speed
Hawkeye
Divine Protection
Iguana Regrowth
Regrowth
Brace YourselfX3
Akiro's Favor
Bear StrengthX2
Rhino HideX2
Falcon Precision
Nullify
Marked for Death

INCANTATIONS:
Seeking Dispel
TeleportX2
Force Push X2
Purify
Remove Curse
Minor HealX2
Rouse the BeastX2
DissolveX2
DispelX2

ATTACKS:
Hurl RockX2
Acid BallX2
Hurl Boulder

Well what do you know every time I post a spell book I see stuff that needs to come out. Spear is getting changed out for Mage Staff thus eliminating my need for Hawkeye. The extra Eagle Claw Boots are left over from fighting Biblofilter but I've new ways to deal with his hijinks next Mace. Maybe I'll remove it and the Asp for some Elephant Grass. Every so often I wonder if Cervere has lived past his prime, so I run him and quickly remember why he's in the book.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Queen City Beast Master II
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
No mage wand or purge?
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
Is the primary strategy to go with Falcons and 2x Rajan's Fury? If you occasionally start with a different hunting party (e.g. perhaps a Pet Rhino?), then I'd be tempted to swap the 2x Fury's for Tooth & Nail, since even your non-Flying (or Elusive), non-Fast creatures can benefit. Of course, Fury is better vs Skellies and Zombies and other armorless foes, so I guess it depends on your meta - and I know Necromancers are popular in Darkfenne your neck of the woods.

If you do go Pet Rhino, do you tend to put Mongoose Agility and Cheetah Speed on the Rhino?
(Move out + Trample, move back in, attack with Charge bonuses?)

I personally run Force Hammer over Hurl Boulder because I'm afraid of some Conjurations, but ymmv. Boulder is a better finisher, if that's what you find you use it for most often. And I guess the Rhino can take care of most Conjurations. But Mind's Eye might make you wish for a Hammer (or 2 or 3)! Hmmm... I guess the Mage Wand covers that base, too.

No Lesser Teleports? You could swap out 1x Force Push for 2x Lesser Teleport, but then you wouldn't be able to push through a Wall of Thorns (if anybody lets you do that anymore). In terms of moving friendly creatures, I guess you assume you have enough evasion through Elusive and/or Flying...

Really nice book!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:47:14 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
I took out the Mage Wand and Purge Magic yes. I'm not able to defend a wand like a war mage and frankly the curses can come faster than I can dispel em even with a Purge Magic. Pick and choose the most annoying ones and Dispel those is my philosophy.

I use to run Force Hammer but found the boulder to be basically as effective against most things and better against creatures. The Mage Staff and Akiro's Favor can take the edge off incorporeal for the most part.

I use about 3-5 different openings with this book depending on what I'm facing. Yes Falcon Swarm and Pet Rhino are two of the most popular. I also like to Super Mage sometimes and Deadly Cervere. Pet Grizzly happens a decent amount as it more or less makes my mage invisible or at least brings out problem cards like Exile, Force Hold, etc early so I can get them out my opponents book.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
I took out the Mage Wand and Purge Magic yes. I'm not able to defend a wand like a war mage and frankly the curses can come faster than I can dispel em even with a Purge Magic. Pick and choose the most annoying ones and Dispel those is my philosophy.

I use to run Force Hammer but found the boulder to be basically as effective against most things and better against creatures. The Mage Staff and Akiro's Favor can take the edge off incorporeal for the most part.

I use about 3-5 different openings with this book depending on what I'm facing. Yes Falcon Swarm and Pet Rhino are two of the most popular. I also like to Super Mage sometimes and Deadly Cervere. Pet Grizzly happens a decent amount as it more or less makes my mage invisible or at least brings out problem cards like Exile, Force Hold, etc early so I can get them out my opponents book.
I assume this book is made for timed play. On OCTGN, I think you will need more removel or a wand of some sorts.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
Not if I can kill them before I need all that :) This book has done well in timed and un-timed play.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »
Not if I can kill them before I need all that :) This book has done well in timed and un-timed play.
Hmm I see.  I guess charlotte in general perfer less dispel/dissolve (at least all of the books I have seen.)
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Have you ever found you wished you had a Poisoned Blood or two? Especially with all the new Holy spells, but also Siren regen, Druid regen, ... even AC Warlock with Demonic Link "Blood Reaper" + Regrowth + Vampirism can heal a surprising amount per round. Or are you afraid PB won't stick due to Remove Curse or similar?

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
Have you ever found you wished you had a Poisoned Blood or two? Especially with all the new Holy spells, but also Siren regen, Druid regen, ... even AC Warlock with Demonic Link "Blood Reaper" + Regrowth + Vampirism can heal a surprising amount per round. Or are you afraid PB won't stick due to Remove Curse or similar?
Most people don't run remove curse (at least that I have run into)
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »
Hmm I see.  I guess charlotte in general perfer less dispel/dissolve (at least all of the books I have seen.)

He has remove curse, purify and 2 dispels. I think a purge on top would be too much.
And 2x dissolve is pretty normal. I run 3 generally but never cast all 3, even on octgn. If you plan well, 2 should be good and his creatures are sturdy  and hard hitting enough to make up for something like that.

Also if a super buddy is charging in he has, currently, 2 telelorts, 2 pushes, 2 tanglevines, and attack soells to take care of it. And rajans fury and 6 falcons are tough to deal with. 

All in all there are multiple ways to work around differnt problems. And kill yhem fast with creatures amd dice seems like what he is going for and it looks awesome!
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »

He has remove curse, purify and 2 dispels. I think a purge on top would be too much.
And 2x dissolve is pretty normal. I run 3 generally but never cast all 3, even on octgn. If you plan well, 2 should be good and his creatures are sturdy  and hard hitting enough to make up for something like that.

Also if a super buddy is charging in he has, currently, 2 telelorts, 2 pushes, 2 tanglevines, and attack soells to take care of it. And rajans fury and 6 falcons are tough to deal with. 

All in all there are multiple ways to work around differnt problems. And kill yhem fast with creatures amd dice seems like what he is going for and it looks awesome!
Well charlotte is like the exact opposite of charm's builds. I assume if you go few big you don't cast the lair?
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »

Well charlotte is like the exact opposite of charm's builds. I assume if you go few big you don't cast the lair?

That would be a poor assumption. If I go big I'll cast the lair later and have some peace and quiet while they focus on the big. The Lair is for getting out falcons and wolves. I'll cast the big guys myself half the time.

Also Mambo....thought I'd give you a little peek at what's coming to Con Carolinas. ;D ;D ;D

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »

That would be a poor assumption. If I go big I'll cast the lair later and have some peace and quiet while they focus on the big. The Lair is for getting out falcons and wolves. I'll cast the big guys myself half the time.

Also Mambo....thought I'd give you a little peek at what's coming to Con Carolinas. ;D ;D ;D
Well my reasoning was you wouldn't cast the big from the lair.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
Not bad reasoning. I don't always Lair I'll admit. But I've been known to start with a big animal and Lair like Turn 3.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
Not bad reasoning. I don't always Lair I'll admit. But I've been known to start with a big animal and Lair like Turn 3.

Unless you get stunned out of casting your grizzly :)