May 17, 2024, 08:44:19 PM

Author Topic: Flexible Forcemaster  (Read 10662 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Flexible Forcemaster
« on: July 24, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
So as many people know, solo kill a mage is not a very viable strategy with forcemaster. As a result of that, I made this book. I wanted to mix high armor with lots of attack spells and creature support. I will talk about the strategy after.

A Mage Wars Spellbook, built using the OCTGN SBB 7/24/2016 7:22 PM

Spellbook points: 120 used of 120 allowed

Key: Quantity - Spell Name - Spell Level - Spellbook Cost - Total Spellbook Cost

Forcemaster

---  Attack  ---
2 - Hurl Boulder - 2 - 4 - 8
3 - Hurl Rock - 1 - 2 - 6
1 - Surging Wave - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Flameblast - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Acid Ball - 1 - 2 - 4

---  Conjuration  ---
1 - Mana Crystal - 1 - 2 - 2

---  Creature  ---
1 - Sir Corazin, Blademaster - 4 - 12 - 12
1 - Necropian Vampiress - 4 - 12 - 12

---  Enchantment  ---
2 - Forcefield - 4 - 4 - 8
2 - Rhino Hide - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Divine Protection - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Enchantment Transfusion - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Rust - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Akiro's Favor - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Falcon Precision - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mongoose Agility - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Force Orb - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Poisoned Blood - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Arcane Ward - 1 - 1 - 2

---  Equipment  ---
3 - Chitin Armor - 1 - 2 - 6
1 - Leather Chausses - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Leather Boots - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Veteran's Belt - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Deflection Bracers - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Elemental Cloak - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Galvitar, Force Blade - 3 - 3 - 3

---  Incantation  ---
3 - Dissolve - 1 - 2 - 6
5 - Dispel - 1 - 2 - 10
1 - Seeking Dispel - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Purify - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Minor Heal - 1 - 2 - 2

So the basic strategy for this books is to drop a mana crystal and enchant T1. Turn 2 really depends on what the opponent is doing. Usually I drop Sir corzan with necro or anyone focused on melee. The force orb is in this book specificly to protect sir corazan from ranged. Then, if the opponent has a brogon or something else that counters sir corazan, I will drop the vampiress as a counter. She is super surviviable and can deal out a lot of punishment. Most likely, I will drop her anyway. Some thoughts, maybe I want a purge?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:19:32 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster Attack!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
What do you mean solo aggression isn't viable? It's definitely viable especially with the forcemaster. Or at least it's viable as long as people don't abuse spellbind with high armor. Or in other words as long as no one uses another equivalent of blasting banker. I already have a couple ideas for how to do that with other mages besides the wizard, but I haven't tried them yet because they would be boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
I've been having a lot of success with [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard] lately.  That counteracts some armor you run into.  If you're mostly playing on OCTGN, however, you'll run into Chitin Armor (I see you have 3 of them) which nerfs the jelly pretty badly.

This runs against what you're trying to do a bit, but if Chitin Armor seems to be your trouble, you can exchange the short game for a longer game and take a page from Sailor and run a few copies of [mwcard=FWE04]Force Crush[/mwcard], [mwcard=DNJ10]Stranglevine[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E19]Ghoul Rot[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard].  Armor is no good against Direct Damage as Mystery proved in the ADMW Open a while back.

I've always been a fan of Necropian Vampiress because she can sustain herself--nice choice.  Sir Corazin is an interesting pick, but you're right he needs help against those ranged attacks.  Force Orb is a good start.  Have you considered a Thoughtspore (with Blur/Gator Toughness) with Minor Heal?  Another thing I've seen grow a little in popularity is the [mwcard=FWJ08]Renewing Spring[/mwcard].  Might not be worth it for Forcemaster, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

What have been some of your experiences with the book?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »
Spell book creation is fun. However, have you actually played the books you have been creating? My opinion is generally no spellbook survives contact with the enemy, and it becomes a work in progress until you get it to a state where it fares well against most mages.

Solo mages are very viable as pointed out, forcemaster is one who can handle that job.

EDIT: This was for @Reddicediaries
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:57:02 PM by zot »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
I've been having a lot of success with [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard] lately.  That counteracts some armor you run into.  If you're mostly playing on OCTGN, however, you'll run into Chitin Armor (I see you have 3 of them) which nerfs the jelly pretty badly.

This runs against what you're trying to do a bit, but if Chitin Armor seems to be your trouble, you can exchange the short game for a longer game and take a page from Sailor and run a few copies of [mwcard=FWE04]Force Crush[/mwcard], [mwcard=DNJ10]Stranglevine[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E19]Ghoul Rot[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard].  Armor is no good against Direct Damage as Mystery proved in the ADMW Open a while back.

It's viable, but probably not optimally competitive. You're basically ignoring her force pull if you go this route. If you want to do a tank that uses damage over time and few or no creatures, I would recommend going for a more controlling forcemaster strategy. Stick some dot on the enemy Mage and keep them from moving, then destroy any action economy they have or try to bring out. Creatures? Use mind control, charm, sleep, daze/slam, or just destroy them. You can attack three creatures in one action with galvitar and scimitar, and a fourth if you use your quick cast for invisible fist or force hammer. By keeping the enemy at an action disadvantage you end up not needing to summon much if anything of your own. I'm probably going to try a deck like this and see how it goes.

Something else worth considering is using force crush on big, non Mage psychic immune creatures. Gets them out of the way and softens them up before you're ready to take them out with your galvitar. Use force pull on a creature that you want to melee attack.

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »
Force Crush is so expensive to use on anything but a mage.  You'd be spending 27 mana to kill a Zombie Brute (22 with Psi-Orb).  I suppose you could set yourself up for it.  Many people I see are actually only running 3-6 creatures unless it's a swarm book which is easier to deal with as the FM.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
27? Force crush costs 5 to reveal on a non Mage creature. Costs 2 more on a Mage. Of course when you were ready to get rid of the zombie brute you would choose not to pay upkeep or shift the crush to another creature.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
27? Force crush costs 5 to reveal on a non Mage creature. Costs 2 more on a Mage. Of course when you were ready to get rid of the zombie brute you would choose not to pay upkeep or shift the crush to another creature.

Yes it costs 5 to reveal and then 4 per turn to do damage.  I was thinking of Force Crush as a way to outright kill those troublesome brutes but it's prohibitively expensive.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
Zot- yes I have been playing the books I have posted. I like to get feedback, update repost and repeat. I haven't gotten to that point with any of my books yet, I hope this will be the first.
I like the idea of turning this book down a more DoT route. However, I still want the creatures and maybe a thought spore or two for extra support.
When I said solo isn't really viable, I meant that it isn't really top.notch. It can work, but not optimal. Vulcan can you help give me a link for the forcemaster fatigue.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:17:59 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »
it has become more viable with the changes to wizard tower. since it cannot just keep casting surging wave anymore. that spell is the bane of the fm.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
Zot- yes I have been playing the books I have posted. I like to get feedback, update repost and repeat. I haven't gotten to that point with any of my books yet, I hope this will be the first.
I like the idea of turning this book down a more DoT route. However, I still want the creatures and maybe a thought spore or two for extra support.
When I said solo isn't really viable, I meant that it isn't really top.notch. It can work, but not optimal. Vulcan can you help give me a link for the forcemaster fatigue.

Don't remember where it is. Look for Thunderdome I round 1 henry_ketchup vs sharkbait.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
Updated version thoughts on sbp? Things to add/remove.

A Mage Wars Spellbook, built using the OCTGN SBB 7/25/2016 6:15 PM

Spellbook points: 119 used of 119 allowed

Key: Quantity - Spell Name - Spell Level - Spellbook Cost - Total Spellbook Cost

Forcemaster

---  Attack  ---
2 - Hurl Boulder - 2 - 4 - 8
2 - Hurl Rock - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Surging Wave - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Flameblast - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Acid Ball - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Invisible Fist - 1 - 1 - 2

---  Conjuration  ---
1 - Mana Crystal - 1 - 2 - 2

---  Creature  ---
1 - Sir Corazin, Blademaster - 4 - 12 - 12
1 - Necropian Vampiress - 4 - 12 - 12

---  Enchantment  ---
1 - Forcefield - 4 - 4 - 4
2 - Rhino Hide - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Divine Protection - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Enchantment Transfusion - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Rust - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Falcon Precision - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mongoose Agility - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Force Orb - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Poisoned Blood - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Arcane Ward - 1 - 1 - 2
1 - Force Crush - 3 - 3 - 3
1 - Magebane - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mind Control - 6 - 6 - 6

---  Equipment  ---
3 - Chitin Armor - 1 - 2 - 6
1 - Leather Chausses - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Leather Boots - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Veteran's Belt - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Elemental Cloak - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Galvitar, Force Blade - 3 - 3 - 3
1 - Dancing Scimitar - 2 - 2 - 2

---  Incantation  ---
3 - Dissolve - 1 - 2 - 6
4 - Dispel - 1 - 2 - 8
1 - Seeking Dispel - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Purify - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Minor Heal - 1 - 2 - 2
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) When using DoTs your first one will not stick unless you've already run them out of dispels some other way.  Having one copy of your DoT spells is not recommended.  However this is not your main strategy so you might be okay

2) I've run some small amount of DoT in my FM books and I must say that the ever present threat of Nullify makes it difficult to time the enchant unless you have a good number of Nullify finders which I just never find space for.  I see that you also don't have very many probes for Nullify in the current book.

3) If you really want to hone in on the DoT effect you need to bring lots of copies of your enchantments.  To do so you'd have to sacrifice either creatures or attack spells.

Keep us updated on your findings.  I'd love to know if they match or differ from mine.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 07:03:39 AM »
Thanks puddhn! The book isn't complete so spell amounts are'nt up to what I want yet. Decoy is actully a decent way to probe for nulilfies and arcane wards, they save you limited seeking dispels.  Also, swarms have been a big problem for me, mordok's obelisk?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:31:34 AM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
Decoy is actully a decent way to probe for nulilfies and arcane wards, they save you limited seeking dispels. 
Enchantments in general are a good way to probe for a nullify.
You might as well play a curse. If it's a Nullify you trigger, too bad, if not ... well then you have a curse on him.
Better than wasting an action to probe with a Decoy, no ?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:48:22 AM by Borg »