May 05, 2024, 09:30:29 AM

Author Topic: Eye in the Sky - Forcemaster  (Read 23024 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Eye in the Sky - Forcemaster
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
So you adapt your standered opening vs war mages or what?
One note: I just saw a really nice warlord that t1 forges and ballista's. How would you deal with that?
I adapt what I put on the Spores. That should not be so hard to understand.

A Forge R1 means a Dissolve Spore will come out very likely. (R2 or 3)
Ballista can be no further than B2 or A3-zone so can't hit me in my zone C4.
Second Spore ( Flameblast or Piercing Thunderstrike ) can handle the Ballista, maybe in combination with Vampiress.
That specific warlord uses lots of jet streams and the like. Jet stream is really good vs spores and mind's eye.

Any boom that uses Jet stream, especially with a wand, can good vs any incorporeal, much less a flying incorporeal
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
So you adapt your standered opening vs war mages or what?
One note: I just saw a really nice warlord that t1 forges and ballista's. How would you deal with that?
I adapt what I put on the Spores. That should not be so hard to understand.

A Forge R1 means a Dissolve Spore will come out very likely. (R2 or 3)
Ballista can be no further than B2 or A3-zone so can't hit me in my zone C4.
Second Spore ( Flameblast or Piercing Thunderstrike ) can handle the Ballista, maybe in combination with Vampiress.
That specific warlord uses lots of jet streams and the like. Jet stream is really good vs spores and mind's eye.

Any boom that uses Jet stream, especially with a wand, can good vs any incorporeal, much less a flying incorporeal
Very true, but I'm talking about specifically vs this book.
Jet stream I think is a card that might become meta if people struggle to find other good mind's eye counters.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 03:30:49 AM »
Jet Stream is a possible counter to Mind's Eye ( still takes two casts to destroy one )
Jet Stream on a Wand isn't likely to survive for long, though.

Other options :
Mage Staff + Bear Strength on a Battle Skill Mage can take out Eyes in 1 strike.
Divine Might on a Flyer.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
Borg, I just wanted to say that I very much like your point on the 7-dice target amount.  7 Dice is the tipping point in a lot of situations and I've been mulling that over a lot recently.  Thanks for the food for thought!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:15 AM »
Borg, I just wanted to say that I very much like your point on the 7-dice target amount.  7 Dice is the tipping point in a lot of situations and I've been mulling that over a lot recently.  Thanks for the food for thought!
Bear with bear stregnth, divine might, and eagle wings would be decent vs the eyes i think.
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »
Would you ever consider a [mwcard=MW1E21]Hawkeye[/mwcard] on a [mwcard=FWC16]Thoughtspore[/mwcard]? Or would that be painting too big a target on it?
*edit* Or would that not work with Mind's Eye? (e.g. if Mind's Eye is the source of the attack spell, does it get Thoughtspore's "Ranged +1" trait?)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:44:28 AM by iNano78 »

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
I also think if you can kill the spores, the eyes become a lot less scary.
Ofc, that won't be easy, but there are several ways to do it.
1. Jet Stream Hawkeye: 5 dice even with glancing blow.
2: Chant of Rage: check for mind shield first.
3. Shoot them with creatures.
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
2: Chant of Rage: check for mind shield first.

By "check for Mind Shield" - you mean Seeking Dispel all the face-down Enchantments on the Thoughtspore first, right? Or prepare more than one Chant of Rage... ([mwcard=FWE08]Mind Shield[/mwcard] isn't a mandatory reveal).

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
There's some counterplay to Mind's Eye that I think people are overlooking--getting in close so that the Mind's Eye itself was a wasted action.  Now, that means you'd have to be capable of running your book at that range.  I wonder if we will see an increase in more aggressive playstyles because of Mind's Eye.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
Well, the way I like to play druid, I play her very agressively so that should work out.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:44 AM »
My pleasure, Puddnhead.
Thanks for sharing your thought. ;)

Bear with bear stregnth, divine might, and eagle wings would be decent vs the eyes i think.
A B-52 loaded with nukes should do it too.
You're talking here about a Full Cast and three Quick Casts for a total of 33 mana and at least 9 sbps to take on a 6 mana , 2 sbp card lol.
But even then, I would like to see you take that approach though and see how it works out, just don't blame me if he's put to sleep right before he can hit anything :)

There's some counterplay to Mind's Eye that I think people are overlooking--getting in close so that the Mind's Eye itself was a wasted action.  Now, that means you'd have to be capable of running your book at that range.  I wonder if we will see an increase in more aggressive playstyles because of Mind's Eye.

I can only speak for myself here but I see a significant change in bookbuilding taking place at this moment.

The early years were dominated by Solo Mages, Tanks, Buddy or few buddy builds but my gut feeling tells me that was never the way the game was supposed to be played. ( by the designer ) Want proof ? Think back on how many creatures are in the core box ( more than 50% of all cards ? ) and yet so few of them saw gameplay. Swarm books in general were not successful.

We have a lot more cards at our disposal now to neutralise one or a few creatures strategies.
To be successful today, you need a small army in support imo or a way to deal damage consistently without creatures. It's still possible to go with fewer creatures but those creatures better do a lot of damage then cfr Titanodon.
It's my belief this is how the designer originally envisioned the game to be played.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
My pleasure, Puddnhead.
Thanks for sharing your thought. ;)

A B-52 loaded with nukes should do it too.
You're talking here about a Full Cast and three Quick Casts for a total of 33 mana and at least 9 sbps to take on a 6 mana , 2 sbp card lol.
But even then, I would like to see you take that approach though and see how it works out, just don't blame me if he's put to sleep right before he can hit anything :)

I can only speak for myself here but I see a significant change in bookbuilding taking place at this moment.

The early years were dominated by Solo Mages, Tanks, Buddy or few buddy builds but my gut feeling tells me that was never the way the game was supposed to be played. ( by the designer ) Want proof ? Think back on how many creatures are in the core box ( more than 50% of all cards ? ) and yet so few of them saw gameplay. Swarm books in general were not successful.

We have a lot more cards at our disposal now to neutralise one or a few creatures strategies.
To be successful today, you need a small army in support imo or a way to deal damage consistently without creatures. It's still possible to go with fewer creatures but those creatures better do a lot of damage then cfr Titanodon.
It's my belief this is how the designer originally envisioned the game to be played.
Well eagle wings and bear strentgth will likely go on him anyway.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Vs Warlord, I might even start with 2 dissolve spores. Your goal is to get rid of the gauntlets and wands, his is to kill the spores faster than you can dissolve his stuff.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
Vs Warlord, I might even start with 2 dissolve spores. Your goal is to get rid of the gauntlets and wands, his is to kill the spores faster than you can dissolve his stuff.
Not a good idea.
One dissolve per round will do.
You have 3 Dissolves total in the book.
If you really want to Dissolve twice in 1 round let the FM spend one too.
Don't put a spore in play that will be useless after a few rounds.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
Have you seen my match vs enti? That might change your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_uLGZmm2s&t=2206s
The Phoenix shall rise.