May 17, 2024, 02:06:41 AM

Author Topic: Rubber play mats.  (Read 11922 times)

Brazil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Rubber play mats.
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
Will the rubber play mats sold at GenCon be sold on-line?   (Available to non-GenCon attendees)

I love the idea of a rubber play mat.    And my current cardboard game board is getting pretty trashed.   (Mostly because it's an awkward size to pack around....the rollable mat sounds ideal for me.)

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber play mats.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
I hope the AW realizes the sales potential and makes them available to all players.

Nothing against those who had the time and funds to attend, but the rest of are all part of the communityand are just as deserving as the attendees.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
It was a limited print run to test the waters. I think they had about 1000 made. I am hoping more will get printed also
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
shut up and take my Money if this becomes available in the shops.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
It was a limited print run to test the waters. I think they had about 1000 made. I am hoping more will get printed also

So was the test successful? Did they sell (close) 1000 matts at Gencon if not please let me spend more money!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »
They're also talking about 6 player mats, so might be worth waiting and seeing what these look like/are priced at...
It could be worth having both, but I'd probably lean towards having one larger mat and blocking off sections for smaller play.

shut up and take my Money if this becomes available in the shops.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
Even as a kid I never cared for battle royals in wrestling. To me the game is a duel between two mages. I am really not interested in more than 2 as it already takes a long time to play.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
Even as a kid I never cared for battle royals in wrestling. To me the game is a duel between two mages. I am really not interested in more than 2 as it already takes a long time to play.

I completely agree with this. I still cant seem to get below 1.5 hour.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
Be interesting to see how the time issues with more players change with AW's plans to put out more support and rules for multiplayer.  Brian seems to really enjoy multiplayer and it seems they're keen to support it more.

flamespeak

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:52 AM »
Back to the mats.

A nice cloth or leather mat would be preferable to me, personally. Plenty of space to wrap it around the spell books and a few low profile pockets to hide the dice, markers, and tokens when folded and it would make the game a lot more portable. Still kinda bulky, but easy enough to throw in a backpack for easier transport to a friend's house for gaming if you are walking, riding a bike or motorcycle, taking public transportation, etc.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »
Back to the mats.

A nice cloth or leather mat would be preferable to me, personally. Plenty of space to wrap it around the spell books and a few low profile pockets to hide the dice, markers, and tokens when folded and it would make the game a lot more portable. Still kinda bulky, but easy enough to throw in a backpack for easier transport to a friend's house for gaming if you are walking, riding a bike or motorcycle, taking public transportation, etc.

Since I sort of doubt that they are going to release another playmat in cloth I would suggest doing it yourself.
It is just rectangles of a certain size (and the exact size isn't that important even) with some sort of background. You could get just about anything printed on a piece of canvas. Here is an article on how to print on a piece of fabric at home http://makezine.com/craft/how-to_print_on_fabric_with_an/ or these guys can print custom stuff for about $16 a square yard http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome.

flamespeak

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »
Oh, I was already going to do that with a piece of leather and a wood burner to mark the zones and what not. Was thinking about making a travel box out of wood with different removable compartments for the tokens, dice, cards, etc and putting the spell books wrapped up in leather at the bottom with the mage boards. Slap a lock on the whole thing and I should be able to make it a lot more mobile. Either burn or carve the box on the outside to and put a simple latch on it to give it some flare. Just some nice little down time creation stuff with a purpose you know?

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:09 AM »
You could also check our this image as a variant map that could be printed to cloth or signage fabric pretty cheap:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93528/forest-themed-gameboard-5x4-for-mage-wars

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

Since I sort of doubt that they are going to release another playmat in cloth

In the BGG interview Patrick says they are planning to make more matts but art work will be with different arena's from around Etheria.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »

Since I sort of doubt that they are going to release another playmat in cloth

In the BGG interview Patrick says they are planning to make more matts but art work will be with different arena's from around Etheria.

Nice I guess there is a possibility then ^_^ though I would still assume they are planning to release more with variant artwork on the same substrate. I suppose if people really showed a strong preference we might get cloth, though leather seems like a stretch.