May 26, 2024, 12:05:56 PM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels Livechat with Aaron Brosman  (Read 12951 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Arcane Duels Livechat with Aaron Brosman
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Tomorrow at 9PM Eastern / 8PM Central I'll be livechatting with the wonderful guys from Arcane Duels! If you have a question please feel free to post it here. I promise I'll answer as much as I'm able. We're hoping to make this a regular thing. One of the best things is that if you have questions while we're chatting we'll try to cover any topics that you guys bring up. I'm very excited to be doing this and can't wait to hear from all of you!

You can find the Arcane Duels YouTube page >>HERE<<.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Duels Livechat with Aaron Brosman
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
If you had the choice of being a meal for Kralathor or a Ravenous Ghoul, which would you choose and why?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »
A lot of people have been curious about new options for the warlock and holy school. What can we expect out of the next Academy set?  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
So, there will be Warlock x Priestes expansion.

1) Is it true that those mages will be separate? Each mage in single expansion? If yes, was this image just a first version?

2) If single, what will package contains? Only cards + tokens?

3) Will there be only small expansions now for academy or there will be "big" and "small" expansions?

4) Will be next mages for academy Warlord and Forcemaster?

5) Are there any novels or comic books under development?ยจ

6) Will siren have Kraken under her command?

7) Is it true that after reaching 3000 posts, user of this forum is invited to Hellfire club?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:43 AM »
1) I think many people would love a spoiler about a level 2 holy creature that has the potential to become an amazing holy avenger. Either from Paladin vs. Siren or priestess vs. warlock.  :D

2) Will the siren have mind creatures or only water creatures? aka: will they be (cheaply) usable for the forcemaster

3) How will the higher level water attack spells differentiate from the lightning/air/rock spells? 

4) We already have the earth elemental and the fire elemental is a promo card. Will there be a water elemental?

5) Dragons! Are there dragons in the set? Either putting that paladin on some kind of golden dragon or some sorth of water dragon for the Siren. (and of course intel about that kraken)

6) I'm pretty sure the backriding of the paladin was only a rumor, but what will the actual powers of the mages be?

Since that time is in the middle of the night here I won't be able to listen live. Will you guys post it later?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:09:38 AM by Halewijn »
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
Since that time is in the middle of the night here I won't be able to listen live. Will you guys post it later?

Yes, it's the plan to post this up later. However, I don't know how long that might take, but I do know that we want to post it once we're done.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
1) What does a day in the life of Aaron Brosman look like?
2) Take a couple of your favorite cards that have already been printed and walk us through the design and testing process for each one.
3) Is there a particular promo card that you are hoping to get printed soon?
4) What are some of the decisions you make when designing a spell book?  Mage First?  Combo First?  etc.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:18 AM »
1. Ideas for future expansions
2. Absolutely anything P vs S
3. DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

Thanks.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »
Local and variant metagames. They need more coverage. People don't talk about them enough.

Some lore would be nice. And some previews/spoilers of future sets and variant formats.

And some discussion about how academy, domination, and future sets will impact the wizard and his tower? A lot of people seem to still be very worried about the wizard and his tower, and I think it would help to give people some idea about what you're doing about it.

Also, Arcane Ward! Talk about Arcane Ward! And the Academy Priestess and Warlock set(s)!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:49:05 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
Local and variant metagames. They need more coverage. People don't talk about them enough.

Not a question ;-). In general that is something that hinges on the community. We find out about local metagames from people in those metagames. So, having me talk about them isn't particularly helpful as I'm not really involved in, for instance, your local metagame.

As for variant metagames, people don't talk about them a ton, because players are invested in the "standard" way to play Mage Wars. If you look at Magic: the Gathering, you end up with all of these variant game versions with their own metas because the community took it and ran with it. Look at how developed EDH was before WOTC officially made it Commander.

So, right now these two things are really more about the actions of the community and responding to where they lead. It's not really something you can force. Though I would encourage everyone to really jump in and participate as that's what shows just how amazing our community really is.

Some lore would be nice. And some previews/spoilers of future sets and variant formats.

Lore is in the hands of our loremaster, but with that in mind maybe I can convince him to join us sometime.

And some discussion about how academy, domination, and future sets will impact the wizard and his tower? A lot of people seem to still be very worried about the wizard and his tower, and I think it would help to give people some idea about what you're doing about it.

Understandably so. I don't know that I'll have too much more to say, but I'll try to hit on this tonight.

Also, Arcane Ward! Talk about Arcane Ward! And the Academy Priestess and Warlock set(s)!

What about the Arcane Ward do you want us to talk about? I'm planning to hit on the Priestess and Warlock sets a little bit tonight.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

Not a question ;-). In general that is something that hinges on the community. We find out about local metagames from people in those metagames. So, having me talk about them isn't particularly helpful as I'm not really involved in, for instance, your local metagame.

As for variant metagames, people don't talk about them a ton, because players are invested in the "standard" way to play Mage Wars. If you look at Magic: the Gathering, you end up with all of these variant game versions with their own metas because the community took it and ran with it. Look at how developed EDH was before WOTC officially made it Commander.

So, right now these two things are really more about the actions of the community and responding to where they lead. It's not really something you can force. Though I would encourage everyone to really jump in and participate as that's what shows just how amazing our community really is.

Lore is in the hands of our loremaster, but with that in mind maybe I can convince him to join us sometime.

Understandably so. I don't know that I'll have too much more to say, but I'll try to hit on this tonight.

What about the Arcane Ward do you want us to talk about? I'm planning to hit on the Priestess and Warlock sets a little bit tonight.

What about arcane ward? How about how awesome it is! I suspect that this card will singlehandedly make enchantments a more viable counter to enchantments, which means that people won't have to rely on dispel so much. Especially nature mages because of Felllela. I'm really looking forward to the ability to directly protect enchantments.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:24:53 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
directly protecting enchantments... You can only protect 1 enchantment with it, costing you an extra action + 2 mana.

On the other hand, I would consider it for some very specific ones: Mind control, force crush, ..

I don't think enchantments need a buff, quite the contrary! If a warlock is casting curses on you or force crushes etc, it will cost you more/the same amount of mana it had cost him. Still he had good effects from it during that time. Upkeep is a wonderful mechanic to counter this though.

If you ever try to purge magic, you could lose it to a nullify or an enchantment transfusion! happened to me.. I started crying right before I died 8)

I really don't see how you would not have to rely on dispel anymore, or how the ward is a counter?  ???
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
directly protecting enchantments... You can only protect 1 enchantment with it, costing you an extra action + 2 mana.

On the other hand, I would consider it for some very specific ones: Mind control, force crush, ..

I don't think enchantments need a buff, quite the contrary! If a warlock is casting curses on you or force crushes etc, it will cost you more/the same amount of mana it had cost him. Still he had good effects from it during that time. Upkeep is a wonderful mechanic to counter this though.

If you ever try to purge magic, you could lose it to a nullify or an enchantment transfusion! happened to me.. I started crying right before I died 8)

I really don't see how you would not have to rely on dispel anymore, or how the ward is a counter?  ???

Because if you can counter enchantments with enchantments, then you won't necessarily need to dispel those enchantments so much. I.e. arcane ward on a poisoned blood, instead of dispelling a regrowth.

arxiducs

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
Some questions....

1) When are the minis of the mages going to see the light? Is there any advanced info you can provide?
2) In order to create some predictability on the availability of new cards, is there a release schedule already shareable for 2016?
3) How do you conceive organized play on OCTGN? Sometimes there are community-designed cards. Do you think OCTGN players participate in community-designed lore? But using the organized play concept. i.e. OCTGN players could influence with the result of their combats the design of new lore tales.
4) how to rescue "gate to hell"? it is such an epic concept!

thanks in advance!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Awesome questions! I have them written down so we can grill Aaron tonight. If you can, try to make it into the stream. I'll be moderating chat to take on real time questions if anything comes to mind. Come join us!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster