May 18, 2024, 09:47:10 AM

Author Topic: Trying to decide what expansions to buy tomorrow if any  (Read 3289 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Trying to decide what expansions to buy tomorrow if any
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »
I still don't have anyone to play with in real life, but I want to eventually get into organized play. Is it necessary to buy all the expansions to be competitive with more than one mage? I've noticed that the general "must have" cards seem to be dispersed over multiple sets. Or maybe that's just eagleclaw boots?

Part of why I've waited so long to buy any expansions was because I wanted to plan my purchases based on my spellbook designs. Unfortunately I've had a lot of trouble picking a mage that fits me in both flavor and playstyle. The forcemaster would be perfect for me if she could also be played defensively. I think the wizard fits me most in flavor, but I've yet to figure out a spellbook that I really like with him. I tried working on an earth wizard build for a while, and I enjoyed it, but it was sometimes kind of stressful to play. I don't know if that's because the build didn't fit me or because I wasn't good enough at mage wars to use the build well. (required too much prediction perhaps?)

Regardless, Cyber Monday is tomorrow, and if there are any discounts on mage wars expansions somewhere on the net, i need to know which ones I should buy. Or maybe I should wait until next year for the Wizard vs Forcemaster expansion?

What do you think?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Trying to decide what expansions to buy tomorrow if any
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Is it necessary to buy all the expansions to be competitive with more than one mage?

Depends on your gaming group. The people you play against will determine this for you
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
If you want to play one of the mages that came with the original box set you don't have to have any expansions to build a competitive deck. I have a warlock deck that is very competitive and it only uses spells out of the original box and the spell tomes 1 and 2. It really depends on if there is a mage out of the expansions you really want to try. I am really liking the druid though I am still trying to figure out a really good way to play her.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
If you're thinking that Wizard may be your cup of tea, then I'd grab Forcemaster vs. Warlord. It has earth spells, and the Wizard can excel with earth spells. Other than that Conquest of Kumanjaro is great, but for a wizard there are really three cards; Surging Wave, Gargoyle, and Wizard's Tower.

Now that I think of it, if  you want to play wizard then I'd grab conquest. Those three cards are well worth it, and it does sprinkle some great cards in other books as well.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
Get Conquest

> Enchantment Transfusion (singe-handedly creates action burst combos, protects enchants, targeted counter)
> Wizard's Tower (why we play wizards, 'nuff said)
> Galador (awesome if slightly meta-dependent)
> Guardian Angel (holy gets the best interceptor)
> Surging Wave (range 2 slam 3+ to remove guard markers, extinguish burn, unavoidable vs. gremlins, utility)
> Eagleclaw Boots (wizards use teleport wands, don't like being pushed through thorns, trapped by walls etc)
> Armour Ward / Enchanter's Wardstones (only if playing Mana Denial or Transfusion Curse Stacking)
> Healing Charm (with enchanter's ring, time it right for max. unexpected life extension)
> Gargoyle Sentry (fine interceptor that can emerge from Gate to Voltari and protect it)
> Drain Soul (even a new toy for a Warlock, maybe single toolbox copy to deal exactly 6 damage or a 12 swing)

The 2 variant mages play very different to base set (Jokhtari with a Lair spawning Dire Wolves, Galador, Hunting Bow, Tanglevines, Idol, Deathlock is especially fun in a meta without Iron Golems).

However, what really sold it to me most was the flavour: the whole set is seeped in a Native Shaman vs. Fanatic Missionary colonial fantasy setting that is so refreshingly different. Your posts demonstrate a rich creativity and this setting will appeal to your imagination.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
If you want to play one of the mages that came with the original box set you don't have to have any expansions to build a competitive deck. I have a warlock deck that is very competitive and it only uses spells out of the original box and the spell tomes 1 and 2.

Spell tomes 1 and 2 are expansions, aren't they? Unfortunately, anywhere outside the US they are an offputtingly expensive way to buy 2 or 3 cards to jack up a core game mage. Seems to me conquest is a better option... More variety to mix things up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:02:58 PM by Mrmt »

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
You don't need spell tomes 1 & 2 they are useful to have if you want to build multiple spell books without having to keep transferring spells from one book to another.