Mage Wars > Strategy and Tactics

Burst damage problems

(1/3) > >>

Halewijn:
Today my girlfriend has beaten me 4 times in a row with the priestess when I was the warlock. The games can be summerized as followed:

Game 1
By turn 3, the first real round, I had mhegedden and thus basically had 20 life left. She had a white cloak knight.

During this turn, she reveals giant size, rolls 6 dice, melee attacks for 2 and does firestream (4 dice). She dealt 19 damage and the burn killed me of.

Game 2

Same scenario but with 2 archers that had piercing. I died again due to the burn after the 3th round.

Game 3:

I lived 1 or 2 rounds longer now, and I used more guarding demons, but again she used her final and first qc for a firestream and she could start with an attack.

Game 4:

I gave up on mhegedden. This game went a lot better, I killed 4 of her holy creatures and had some huge treaths myself. I had only 8 damage while she had 14. She had 1 whitecloak knight with giant size (1 dissipate left), 7 damage and a burn.

She added paladin's valor, attacked with 8 dice, used firestream again.

Upkeep, her initiative, another firestream and a 4 dice attack from the knight.

Basically, even though I was winning by the numbers, she did 20 dice and I was not able to react.

Long story short, she keeps killing me with huge amounts of burst damage. Did anyone else have problems with this?

Halewijn:
So 4 games, but the first 2 games were 1 round and the 3th 3 rounds.  :P

Game description:
"Mage wars academy is a fast paced strategy game."

They were not kidding with this one.  ;D

Coshade:
Is it possible you could post both of the spellbooks? I am curious on what your choices were on both ends.

Ravepig:

--- Quote from: Halewijn on August 15, 2016, 03:12:12 PM ---Today my girlfriend has beaten me 4 times in a row with the priestess when I was the warlock. The games can be summerized as followed:

Game 1
By turn 3, the first real round, I had mhegedden and thus basically had 20 life left. She had a white cloak knight.

During this turn, she reveals giant size, rolls 6 dice, melee attacks for 2 and does firestream (4 dice). She dealt 19 damage and the burn killed me of.

Game 2

Same scenario but with 2 archers that had piercing. I died again due to the burn after the 3th round.

Game 3:

I lived 1 or 2 rounds longer now, and I used more guarding demons, but again she used her final and first qc for a firestream and she could start with an attack.

Game 4:

I gave up on mhegedden. This game went a lot better, I killed 4 of her holy creatures and had some huge treaths myself. I had only 8 damage while she had 14. She had 1 whitecloak knight with giant size (1 dissipate left), 7 damage and a burn.

She added paladin's valor, attacked with 8 dice, used firestream again.

Upkeep, her initiative, another firestream and a 4 dice attack from the knight.

Basically, even though I was winning by the numbers, she did 20 dice and I was not able to react.

Long story short, she keeps killing me with huge amounts of burst damage. Did anyone else have problems with this?

--- End quote ---

The priestess is my buddy's favorite mage and the one he usually plays with. Me on the other-hand- I mix things up to keep it fresh and interesting. Needless to say, in all our matches, I would say we are about equal with our win/loss record (when its me vs. his priestess that is). We have 2 draws and an even number of wins. It really comes down to this for me personally:  if I can kill his mage in <6 rounds, I will win. If I can't kill his mage in <6 rounds, he will win. So, for me, it's about rush and kill regardless. Holy Creatures are just nasty and difficult to deal with if the priestess is allowed to get too many out.

There have been three exceptions to the round six rule for me when going against the priestess:

My necro skelly and druid plant swarms are the two draws I have with his priestess, so those are the first two exceptions to the 6 rounds as those games wound up being 4+ hours and we simply ran out of time (we play to the death).

The other exception was when I played with Warlord- that game wound up going 15+ rounds or so before he conceded. I had destroyed all his creatures and dissolved all his weapons. My Warlord and Ludwig were basically chasing him down doing small amounts of damage per round. Got to the point that it was just a matter of time. I can thank the Warlord's catapult for the win actually. My opponent basically left it untouched which enabled me to take out every single enemy conjuration on the board, as well as multiple zone attacks when my buddy had multiple creatures camping out in the same zone.

She's hard to deal with for sure. Since that is the primary mage my buddy plays, I've actually never played as the priest or priestess, though I'm excited to try out my priest build against his Priestess. The battle of the holy mages to come!   

Zuberi:
@Ravepig: I think you're talking about Arena while the OP is talking about Academy.

Burst damage is definitely more of an issue in Academy, as is the random influence of lucky/unlucky dice rolls. The lack of distinct Quickcast Phases allows your opponent to potentially get in 4 actions (2 at the end of the round and another 2 at the beginning of the next round if they have initiative) without you getting any chance to respond. You have to understand this and act accordingly. Guards are especially important, as is armor. Leaving yourself completely vulnerable to these kinds of tactics can definitely cost you the game. You can summon a non-pest on round one and put it on guard in round 2 so that your opponent can't melee attack you round 3. Attack spells are hard to defend against, but I assure you we tested attack spells thoroughly to make sure they weren't OP and you should be able to handle a few firestreams thrown your way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version