Mage Wars > Strategy and Tactics

Defeating the swarm?

(1/9) > >>

paradox22:
I've played two games now (warlock v beastmaster & priestess v beastmaster), and both times I've fallen under a swarm sent forth by the beastmaster.  Im looking for specific weaknesses he generally suffers from and tactics and strategies you guys find successful.  Should I try to make it all the way over to his spawn zone and take it out?  I will probably play the priestess vs him again...what does she offer to counter and defeat the beastmaster?
Thanks in advance for the help. : )

Millertime:
I don't have a lot of experience with the game yet but I would think if you expect your opponent to bring a swarm of small creatures, go with zone effect spells like electrify. 9 Mana buys a lot of 4 dice attacks with great odds of Daze/stun effects. Put down some damage walls between you and if they come through, force push them back making them hit twice again before they can reach you. Put a gas cloud on the backside of the wall so they also take damage from that.

Klaxas:
yes AOE spells and damage walls can help (with pushes and such)  taking out the spawn point can also help (or putting a gas cloud on the spawn point)  also a damage barrier (the circle of lightning) can help greatly.

as the priestess you could try throwing up some walls of stone so he has to come through one point, put some knights of westlock guarding that zone, and some archers in other zones shooting in, with clerics and your mage healing as necessary.  havent tried that personaly but it could work in theory if you can get it up fast enough.

paradox22:
Those are some good suggestions.  I hadn't thought of a gas cloud on the spawn zone or using walls to form a bottleneck.  I'll have to playtest those a bit.

SeanDeCoy:
Another suggestion: You can go with the "single big creature" approach. While your opponent is sending out tons of weeny creatures, you summon a big bad creature and then use the rest of your mana to make him virtually unkillable (nullify, block, reverse attack, reverse magic, bear strength, bull endurance, cheetah speed, etc.) then he should be taking out the little creatures one at a time pretty easily. While your opponent is running out of creatures to send at you, your one creature is just destroying them.

Another option is that the best defense is a good offense. Sometimes against a swarm, I'll just totally ignore the swarm and start throwing fireballs at the enemy mage, throw my big creature at him, or attack him with a mage with tons of equipment. In this way, he now has to focus on defense, but generally if a player has put all they've got into swarming, they don't have any walls, or mana crystals, or equipment on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version