Mage Wars > Strategy and Tactics

Opening moves

(1/9) > >>

ShamanX:
Just got my copy. While I'm digesting rules and looking for players to teach / play with, I thought I'd ask what people are doing with their first 3-5 rounds.

I understand that everything is situational to a degree, and even opening moves can be circumscribed by an aggressive opponent. But what are you aiming for with your first moves in different situations? Equipment? Creatures? When are you looking to get a spawn point in play? What's working and what's not?

Would love to hear some people's experiences with their first few rounds... successful or otherwise!

Thanks!

theduke850:
while I don't have the game yet, I was thinking it would be somewhat like chess. I'll have a repertoire of opening plays and adjust to the opponent as soon as I get a feel of what they are planning. Or, if they seem to be tailoring their game to me, I'll try to use that as well.

incidentally, I was also thinking that area control will also be an important factor in this game, as it is in chess. I'll have to actually get some games played to understand that better.

p.s., I am in no way any good at all at chess, I just know the basics.

goofy:
I like mana siphon on the frost turn.  :evil:

paradox22:
My opening moves are usually designed to increase mana channeling.  Mana crystals/flowers, moon amulet, spawnzones, or harmonize.  The sooner you get these out the more efficient they become because they have more time to do what they do...generate mana.  

I will then try to get out a large to mid range creature to deal with whatever my opponent summons.  This provides interference while you continue to summon utility cards you'll need.

ShamanX:
I read a post here recently about mana efficient spells (persistent) vs. non efficient. I can see that being an important consideration throughout the game. Are you playing a Wizard? Or, are these helpful for the early game with any mage?

I'm curious about about spawn points... Do they become a priority target for your opponent the moment they're put down? They seem like a fairly important object in the arena. Do they require some preliminary protection or are they better to get out right away?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version