May 04, 2024, 08:54:48 AM

Author Topic: Interest Check: Playing Mage Wars online via Maptools or VASSAL?  (Read 3602 times)

Rechan

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Playing Mage Wars online via Maptools or VASSAL?
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
So I'm in a situation where I want to play Mage Wars, but I don't have anyone local to play it with; hell, the local gaming/comics/etc store closed, so I don't know how to find people period. The idea occurred to me to put Mage Wars into Maptools or VASSAL. Those are two free programs used to play tabletop games (Maptools) or boardgames (VASSAL).

I would have to create the modules/input all the information myself, but once I did, anyone could download the package and use the programs to connect to others and play Mage Wars.

However I don't want to go to all the effort unless there is actual interest in playing.

Any takers?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:37:45 PM by Rechan »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Playing Mage Wars online via Maptools or VASSAL?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
I don't think we need to split the community between programs. There's already an online version in OCTGN which works fantastic. It hasn't been updated with Druid vs Necromancer yet but that is my only real complaint. Transfering the game to other platforms will just split the player base and end up with fewer opponents for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:49:33 AM by Zuberi »

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:33:43 AM »
I play Octgn and it is great. However, if anyone could get it to work on IOS or Mac, I'd be able to pull in some friends who don't currently plsy. Preferably Arcane Wonders would handle the port so it can be fully, officially supported.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »
I play Octgn and it is great. However, if anyone could get it to work on IOS or Mac, I'd be able to pull in some friends who don't currently plsy. Preferably Arcane Wonders would handle the port so it can be fully, officially supported.

EXACTLY that.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »

What would be even better is a web based version. That way everybody could play regardless of they OS.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Quote from: Wildhorn
What would be even better is a web based version. That way everybody could play regardless of they OS.

I would support a more inclusive program that brought in people from different operating systems and devices. Ideally the program could be accessed by any computer or mobile device, and even gaming consoles. Having the program being officially supported by Arcane Wonders would be great as well.

My concern is with splitting the player base by having competing programs. You are risking driving a wedge through the player base, and must carefully consider if the benefits of your program are worth the risk. Will you be bringing the game to people who can not currently access it (by supporting more operating systems and devices)? Will you be greatly improving upon the gameplay (more user friendly, more streamlined, or more features)?

Rechan

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
I wasn't aware of OCTGN - thanks guys!