May 13, 2024, 10:10:41 AM

Author Topic: Warlock Beatdown Deck  (Read 18082 times)

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Warlock Beatdown Deck
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »
Hi guys,
My name is Spyros and I live in Greece. I play mage wars for some time and in particular your warlock beatdown build. How do you think i should counter the forcemaster? Maybe should i use Goran the werewolf pet? Is Sersiryx, Imp familiar any good in this deck? Do you think I should try to fit a Deathlock and a Drain Life? How should i face the priestess? Do you think Regrowth Belt and Moloch's Torment are any good in this build? I am posting my deck. Please give me your advice about any changes you think i should make. All help is much appreciated. I want to thank especially Scott Douglas, a formidable mage wars player and David Chang the inspirator of the beatdown deck for all their prescious advice!!!!!

Warlock

Creatures
Adramelech, Lord of Fire
Necropian Vampiress
Dark Pact Slayer
Darkfene Bats X 3
Firebrand Imp X 2

Attacks
Ring of Fire X 2
Flameblast X 2
Fireball

Equipment
Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword
Lash of Hellfire
Elemental Wand
Mage wand
Demonhide Armor
Helm of Fear
Elemental Cloack
Gauntlets of Strength
Fireshaper Ring
Enchanter's Ring
Leather Boots
Mage Staff
Regrowth Belt

Incantations
Battle Fury
Knockdown
Perfect Strike
Teleport X 2
Dispel X 2
Shift Enchantment X 2
Dissolve
Explode

Enchantments
Decoy
Block X 2
Nullify X 2
Bear Strength X 2
Cheetah Speed
Mongoose Agility
Rhino Hide
Falcon Precision
Marked for Death
Chains of Agony
Enfeeble
Magebane
Poisoned Blood X 2
Death Link
Ghoul Rot X 2
Agony X 2
Vampirism X 2

Conjurations
Tanglevine X 2

Scott adviced me to add a Battleforge and David to add a Drain Life but I really don't know which cards to cut to make room...any help will be much appreciated....

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock Beatdown Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
Can anyone give me an advice how i could add a Drain Life in my spellbook? which spell should i cut to make room???? do you think that a Battleforge is needed in there? i have some hesitations since this is a fast type deck and Battleforge might slow me down...thanks for all your help and advice

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »
my advice is reducing your 5 weapons you have.
here is my advice

beat down: lash of Hellfire and mage staff
your constant fire attacks will come from your lash so you don't need elemental wand with fire spell bound to it, and the lash has reach so you won't need mage staff. you can attach a good buff to your wand (battle fury is great) to give you double 6 dice fire hits with your lash

damage over time warlock
get the curse sword and elemental wand (bound ranged quick fire spell).
this one might be better for you creature heavy build because you will be loosing lots of full turns casting creatures so you use your sword to land curse on creatures. make sure you have enough curses to last the game and try to limit 1 curse per small creature (which you will get back with your passive skill). the elemental wand is for ranged fire attacks you can use on flying creatures etc.

since you removed mage staff you can afford battleforge.

regardless I think you have to many equipment. general rules of thumb you want no more then 3 armour, so remove boots if you want to keep cloak
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
this is  beat down deck so i will keep your advices on the beatdown department....i will take out elemental wand maybe...i am keeping it inside in case i get dazed by  priestess and want to attack regularly with the elemental wand...mage staff is essential since my fire damge might be reduced by elemental cloack and dragonscale hauberg....i will take the leather boots out as you suggested...as for your comment on having too many creatures to cast, i am only casting 1-2 heavy creatures.....

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:38 AM »
One other thing i wanted to point out about Sectarus that you might not take into notice: in order for Sectarus to land its curse on a creature you must attack with it!!!!! so you cannot cast a creature and attack on the same turn as well...sectarus is not like the other familiars...it just gives you a free action when attacking to land a curse

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »
i forgot the necessity of the mage staff for fire resistance, good point. however it only give you 1 extra attack dice then your mele attack so is the cost of having it in your book (2 Skill points + 5 mana to take it out then the + 8 mana to re-equipt your lash) for an extra attack dice

i was justifying my choices by the synergy you want with your fire ring and at least 1 fire attack, either the lash of hell fire or a fire spell bound to your wand. since you mentioned the threat of -4 fire resistance you should run just Curse sword and elemental wand, the sword will not have damaged reduced by resistance. and you can get your powerful fire attacks by your elemental wand or alternately your creatures you summoned

true Sectarus will only place a curse if it lands an attack, so i was mistaken thinking you could still cast a creature, but you still get a free action depending on what you do that turn. you could still quick cast a a spell and attack and place a cursed enchantment in 1 turn. it is a more efficient combo if you know your opponent mage is going heavy fire defense

you may only have 1-2 heavy creatures but then why have the other 6 in your book, if your not going to spend the full turn action casting them there is no value in having those skill points invested in them.

Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:15 AM »
the other creatures are in there for several reasons: firebrand imps will replace the blood reaper dark pact slayer if he dies....and bats have so many uses with th rot conditions they cause....they are super efficient against the forcemaster since she has a huge problem with flying creatures and useful against the priestess too since they force her to use actions to get rid of the rot conditions...you are right about the mage staff and maybe i will take it out as well as the leather boots...but mage staff has reach and that is something worth of consideration

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
So I took out a Mage Staff and the Leather Boots and put in a Battle Forge...i still don't know though how to add a Life Drain as well

Warlock

Creatures
Adramelech, Lord of Fire
Necropian Vampiress
Dark Pact Slayer
Darkfene Bats X 3
Firebrand Imp X 2

Attacks
Ring of Fire X 2
Flameblast X 2
Fireball

Equipment
Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword
Lash of Hellfire
Elemental Wand
Mage wand
Demonhide Armor
Helm of Fear
Elemental Cloack
Gauntlets of Strength
Fireshaper Ring
Enchanter's Ring
Regrowth Belt

Incantations
Battle Fury
Knockdown
Perfect Strike
Teleport X 2
Dispel X 2
Shift Enchantment X 2
Dissolve
Explode

Enchantments
Decoy
Block X 2
Nullify X 2
Bear Strength X 2
Cheetah Speed
Mongoose Agility
Rhino Hide
Falcon Precision
Marked for Death
Chains of Agony
Enfeeble
Magebane
Poisoned Blood X 2
Death Link
Ghoul Rot X 2
Agony X 2
Vampirism X 2

Conjurations
Tanglevine X 2
Battle forge

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
true you can only get a free action some of the time. so you could still buff your lord of fire with battle fury, attack and curse in the same turn

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
Can anyone of you guys suggest any openings or strategies against the Forcemaster??? how do you deal with an early Battle Forge and the action advantage it provides to the Forcemaster?

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »
 should i open with a Battle Forge? or try to summon the Necropian Vampiress and some Bats??? all help is much appreciated!!!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:33:57 AM »
You need to get 4-5 cheap creatures out real quick. Avoid the FM save the  Mana, then Bring out Adramelech, Lord of Fire. Bring your posse down on the FM with the demon attacking last, buff with Bear Strength, bring out LoF, buff yourself and start wailing on him like a red headed step-child (sorry to the red headed step-children out there).Replace smalls as needed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
With all of the equipment you are running you definitely want to add the battle forge to your deck