May 13, 2024, 11:50:07 AM

Author Topic: Warlord deck  (Read 20425 times)

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warlord deck
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »
Guys thanks for all your advice....I have tested Akiro's Hammer and it is too slow...if i want to bring down a conjuration i can do it easily with my attack spells, equipment and my heavy creatures...War Sledge is nice but it doesn't have reach and it wouldn't help me at all with flying creatures...i would like to have included but all it provides is one extra die and sweeping...Mage Staff adds one extra die and reach and it is cheaper in regards of mana cost....I would include it if it was one handed and had a spece in my spellbook...for those two spellbook points, i added a third Quicksand which i think is essential in this build to fight against swarms....

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 01:54:56 AM »
War Sledge is nice but it doesn't have reach and it wouldn't help me at all with flying creatures...i would like to have included but all it provides is one extra die and sweeping...Mage Staff adds one extra die and reach and it is cheaper in regards of mana cost....I would include it if it was one handed and had a spece in my spellbook...for those two spellbook points, i added a third Quicksand which i think is essential in this build to fight against swarms....

There are a lot of neat ways to deal with flyers. Using Hurl Boulder or a small group of Goblin Slingers can work, as can using Knockdown, which incapacitates creatures. You can check the rulebook, but I am pretty sure creatures lose the flying trait when they become incapacitated. Knockdown only costs 3 mana, is a quick action, and only costs 2 points towards your spellbook. Thorg, Chief Bodyguard, can also taunt flyers to attack him, giving Thorg the opportunity to wack them with his counterstrike. (Note: creatures lose flying after they attack something that isn't in the air.)

One thing I like doing with Thorg is giving him a defense, say Cobra Defenses. That way, he can taunt somebody to attack him, they might miss, and Thorg gets a free shot against them :)

I didn't check your spellbook, but you should give Retaliate a chance if you haven't already. In my opinion it is the superior version of Block.
"See you space cowboy..."

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:26 AM »
I think Retaliate is very expensive to include it in....i am already hard pressed for spell points...maybe i will replace Mage Staff for War Sledge and add a Knockdown too in its place but I cannot find room for Retaliate....

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 02:22:49 AM »
Retaliate costs 1 spell point for the Warlord...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »
You are right Scott....i answered without checking and that is a mistake i will not repeat...so I am taking out the Mage Staff and I will add the War Sledge and 1 Retaliate...my only concern and hesitation is that Retaliate will trigger just once and then it is gone...so i am not so enthusiastic about it

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:54 AM »
It's a good card, but I didn't mean that you necessarily needed it, I was just pointing out that it wasn't expensive to include.

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »
ok Scott....do you have any suggestions about my latest build??? they are much appreciated....

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 03:39:44 AM »
I would probably drop Mangler Caltrops (they may be good, but I just haven't seen them do anything impressive), and I would probably remove Chain Lighting (it's a great spell, but it's really constricting your spell points, and it's pretty expensive to cast). I would use those spell points to include a Battleforge and armor (probably Dragonscale Hauberk). I'd probably choose another spell that's good against swarms to make up for removing Chain Lighting, but something in school like another Whirling Strike or Hail of Stones.

I would also probably remove Piercing Strike (or another one of your level 1 orders) for another Battle Fury.

I would consider replacing Seeking Dispel with a Retaliate and a Block. I don't tend to think of Seeking Dispel as essential in the same way that Dispel is, and having a few extra options to help against fast aggression and in damage races would be nice.

Still, I haven't played with or against that style of Warlord yet, so I may be missing something.

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
Many thanks for your advice Scott.....maybe you are right about chain lightning but still it is so useful...maybe as you mentioned, Whirling Strike or Hail of stones can take its place....about Battle Forge i am very sceptic....i don't think i will have a chance to cast it....and if i cannot have Battle Forge i don't see the point of having more armor...i totally agree with you about Retaliate and Block...i will take the seeking dispel out

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 04:14:30 AM »
I think Battleforge would be useful for the way that I would build and play a similar Warlord, but I agree that you don't want too many pieces of equipment without one.

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:32 AM »
when i get back home from work i will consider all the changes you proposed and i will edit my deck...when it is done i will post it and you can let me know of your final recommendations

varagghoul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »
so, after taking into account some of the sound advices of my friends here in the forums i decided to take out these cards: Mage Staff, Mangler Caltrops, Seeking Dispel and Chain Lightning.....to replace Chain Lightning and to get some help to fight swarms and fliers i added 2 Hail of Stones....to replace the Mage Staff as a melee weapon I added the War Sledge....I also added a Block and a Retaliate to have further protection....i also added the Dragonscale Hauberg although i decided to not put in a Battle Forge since i may not have enough mana to cast it...after all, i only have 6 equipment so i guess i can cast them without the help of the Forge....I also added a second Battle Fury...any thoughts are wellcome

Warlord

Equipment
Elemental Cloack
War Sledge
Gauntlets of Strength
Helm of Command
Leather Boots
Dragonscale Hauberg

Conjurations
Quicksand X 3
Hand of Bim-Shalla
Wall of Stone X 2

Attacks
Arc Lightning
Hurl Boulder X 2
Hail of Stones X 2

Enchantments
Fortified Position
Standard Bearer
Agony
Poisoned Blood
Cobra Reflexes
Hawkeye
Vampirism
Bear Strength
Mongoose Agility
Block
Retaliate

Incantations
Rouse the Beast X 2
Dissolve X 2
Force Push X 2
Dispel X 2
Knockdown
Teleport
Charge X 2
Perfect Strike X 2
Battle Fury X 2
Piercing Strike
Sniper Shot X 2
Power Strike
Evade
Whirling Strike

Creatures
Thorg, Chief Bodyguard
Sir Corazin, Blademaster
Grimson Deadeye, Sniper
Knight of Westlock
Iron Golem

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
Help on the internet can only go so far. Some spellbooks can look great on paper but fall apart it battle. Others might look boring or "not that great" on paper but still be devastating in action. The best advice is to keep playing with your spellbook. When you play a match, think about what cards you aren't using, what cards you wish you have included, what cards you think you have too many of, etc.

Overall, with any spellbook, I aim to achieve two goals: 1) Play to my Strengths; 2) Cover my Weaknesses. The Warlord's strengths are his speed and his creatures. The Warlord's weaknesses are probably his inadequacy when it comes to dealing with anything "arcane." When you make a Warlord spellbook, have a fast aggressive strategy in mind, but don't neglect your weaknesses. I kinda like how you threw in some non-earth attack spells in your spellbook. One weakness the Warlord has is his predictable emphasis on creatures (a weakness shared by the Beastmaster as well). By throwing in some attack spells, you may be able to throw your opponent off guard.
"See you space cowboy..."

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
Did you have any luck with this deck? I find the Warlord really tough to win with...