May 15, 2024, 03:06:26 PM

Author Topic: What is the release schedule for upcoming mage wars expansions?  (Read 9609 times)

ManofMagic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "You Shall Not Pass!!" - Gandalf the Grey
    • View Profile
What is the release schedule for upcoming mage wars expansions?
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
I've been wondering when PvS and the other academy sets are going to be released.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: What is the release schedule for upcoming mage wars expansions?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
As soon as possible. I realize that is not a date by any stretch but it is the truth. I'm excited to post stuff about future expansion as I'm able. I know that everyone's been waiting a while, so rest assured that I plan to get information about them up as soon as I can. They're projects that have taken up the vast majority of my time working here and I want to be able to show everyone all of the exciting new things coming.

So, long story short, I don't have a date yet, but we're working to have them out as soon as possible.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
I also wonder when the spell tome will come out that was going to be half previously released promos and half new cards... (But without a common theme)

Really looking forward to that one too...

PS: http://www.arcanewonders.com/arcane-wonders/name-that-expansion

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »
The [Spell Tome] is totally in there too. We've been working on that a ton in the last week. I'm excited to start doing previews for all of you again. :) It's one of the joys of my job to be able to give you all something new and awesome to play with.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
Yes!!!

The way I expect this tome to be is something like a utility box with tools that any mage (or sometimes each mage!) will benefit from.
I like the idea of a non themed tome expansion!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
I've actually been having quite a bit of fun looking at all the available promos. I've also been watching the Thunderdome, and seeing what promos people have been actively playing with. Hopefully, people will be excited for it.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
I've actually been having quite a bit of fun looking at all the available promos. I've also been watching the Thunderdome, and seeing what promos people have been actively playing with. Hopefully, people will be excited for it.

Please no overpowered cards ( like Ballista )  that everybody starts putting in their books.
I'm sure it doesn't matter to anyone but the reason I'm not playing on OCTGN is exactly the fact that it runs wild with "illegal" cards ( aka "promo's" ) and thus "illegal" books, which I simply don't like.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
If a card like Ballista is released, then it will be changed from it's promo version, and most likely different than it's "Thunderdome" version.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
If a card like Ballista is released, then it will be changed from it's promo version, and most likely different than it's "Thunderdome" version.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »

Please no overpowered cards ( like Ballista )  that everybody starts putting in their books.
I'm sure it doesn't matter to anyone but the reason I'm not playing on OCTGN is exactly the fact that it runs wild with "illegal" cards ( aka "promo's" ) and thus "illegal" books, which I simply don't like.
I don't know why, many of us run both promo and non-promo books. As far as I know none of the promo's are quote illegal unquote. They are not eligible to be included in sanctioned tournament spellbooks.

I see this complaint a lot and it bothers me. First in OCTGN everyone has access to all of the published Promo's equally. Second using this as an excuse to weak, if you want to only play IRL that is fine, however don't bash it just because it has promo's which once again are completely optional and in reality you just don't want to play online. Third by running them in OCTGN you can test future card utilization and features. Everyone knows that Ballista will be nerfed when it is released. Same thing happened with Sandstorm (was a Quick Cast as a promo, and is a Full Cast in the release version).

I think what I am going to do is remove Ballista from OCTGN, that way this issue goes away. Sorry guys your books will need to be updated, I will give you plenty of warning before it happens. Once it is released I will of course put it back in, in its released form.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
Also, Wall of Force was made stronger in the retail version (more life) - so it can work both ways.  Think of promos as cards still in development/testing... or at least, given a second chance to iron out any power imbalance, etc.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
I think what I am going to do is remove Ballista from OCTGN, that way this issue goes away. Sorry guys your books will need to be updated, I will give you plenty of warning before it happens. Once it is released I will of course put it back in, in its released form.

I just hate ballista.  >:( I hope it will be warlord only and epic. A wizard using it in combination with the tower is unthematically and overpowered.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »
I don't know why, many of us run both promo and non-promo books. As far as I know none of the promo's are quote illegal unquote. They are not eligible to be included in sanctioned tournament spellbooks.

I see this complaint a lot and it bothers me. First in OCTGN everyone has access to all of the published Promo's equally. Second using this as an excuse to weak, if you want to only play IRL that is fine, however don't bash it just because it has promo's which once again are completely optional and in reality you just don't want to play online. Third by running them in OCTGN you can test future card utilization and features. Everyone knows that Ballista will be nerfed when it is released. Same thing happened with Sandstorm (was a Quick Cast as a promo, and is a Full Cast in the release version).

Hi sIKE,
Please allow me to explain.

First up, the way I enjoy playing MW the most is IRL, face to face, with all the enjoyment and excitement that brings a game as tense as MW.

Second, no promo's. I prefer building books with officially released cards and I prefer playing against books that stick to the same rules. I find the card pool challenging and exciting enough that I don't need any "uneligible" cards on top. I figure I'll get those eventually as well, in due time, when they're released.

Third, however, I don't get to play as often as I would like, it comes in spurts :) so I have been looking at OCTGN as an alternative to get my gaming dope. I have been looking at some games but more often than not I see Ballista's and other promo's pop up right away and ... it just turns me off :(
For example, I watched the thunderdome final until the first ballista hit the board, then I stopped watching.

Fourth, I understand that it's a great way to test future cards and find potential problems but you must also keep in mind that by playing these promo's you may hinder the development of current strategies.
I refer to a reply in my "Spiked Anchor" thread where it was mentioned that Chitin Armor could be a problem and that Charmyna carried 4 Chitin Armor's in his winning Thunderdome deck.
Now what am I supposed to say to that ?
Sure, that would be a problem, but I'm not supposed to face a Chitin Armor am I, as that card isn't "eligible".
When I build my book, I don't take Chitin Armor into account simply because that card is not "released" yet.
Thus my point, yes, the use of promo's can help you test them but you also run the risk of having a negative effect on the current cardpool.
I'm sure there are still unexplored strategies to be discovered in the current cardpool.
There are still people trying to play the existing mages in different ways and see how successful they can be made. The only way to find that out is by matching them up against other "eligible" books imo, promo's should be avoided there at all cost because they may have a negative impact.

So, I understand your and the other players' reasons to play them on OCTGN, I just wish they were the exception rather than the rule.
To me it seems like you're playing another version of MW there, with your own (house)rules.
There are so many great players on OCTGN, and I love watching a good game unfold ... if only they would use eligible books ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:06:36 PM by Borg »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
I just hate ballista.  >:( I hope it will be warlord only and epic. A wizard using it in combination with the tower is unthematically and overpowered.
This is just delaying the problem which doesn't lie in ballista but in chaining of free actions. I proposed a solution to it here.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
So, I understand your and the other players' reasons to play them on OCTGN, I just wish they were the exception rather than the rule.
To me it seems like you're playing another version of MW there, with your own (house)rules.
There are so many great players on OCTGN, and I love watching a good game unfold ... if only they would use eligible books ;)

Borg, For what it's worth, promos are actually written into the Thunderdome rules as being allowed. You can always agree ahead of time with your opponent to use books that do not allow promos (I usually have 2-4 versions of the same book allowing for different card pool rule sets). Just an example I thought might help you enjoy some online play :)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire