May 05, 2024, 01:00:29 PM

Author Topic: How to beat a NEC mage with 6armor & veteran belt  (Read 13753 times)

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: How to beat a NEC mage with 6armor & veteran belt
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:08 PM »
I'll occasionally go down to 2 Dissolves because my opponents rarely play equipment that I feel compelled to destroy, but there are pieces of equipment that I always want to destroy when I see them, so it's safer to run 3+ Dissolves.

As for dealing with an armored Necromancer, either choose to destroy all of the equipment giving Flame -X and start landing fire attacks, or remove the Veteran's Belts and just power through the armor. Without Veteran's Belt, no matter how much armor they have, you can still get damage through by throwing enough dice at the problem.

Bleed + Deathlock is another reasonable solution, particularly for a Beastmaster with 4 Dire Wolves.

As is stacking Corrode to strip the Necromancer of Armor and destroying the Wand of Healing.

Honestly it sounds like this Necromancer's clock is so slow that I don't see what the issue is. You should have plenty of time to adapt.

If you're struggling, just play a Gate of Voltari Wizard with 4 Teleports, 4 Devouring Jellies, and a Darkfenne Hydra or 2. Play all of your Jellies, then lock the Necromancer down with Force Crush in a zone with 4 Jellies. The Necromancer won't be able to survive that for long. Once he runs out of armor, your creatures should be able to kill him in 1-2 rounds of concerted attacks. Besides, Watergate Wizards run 6 Dissolves and 6 Dispels anyway... If you're concerned, run 6 Acid Balls as well. I don't see how this Necromancer build would even have a chance against a decent Watergate build. There are things that every mage can do against an armored Necromancer, but the Watergate Wizard is the build that should hard counter it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 03:32:52 AM »
Yeah, the advent of corrode has made the highly armored mage much easier to defeat. The great things about mage wars is that there is a counter to everything. It is all about making sure your spellbook has the tools to handle most situations and knowing when to deploy those counters. To be honest, I don't see this guy being much of a problem and everybody in this thread has given you the tips to take him down. It's up to you now to do it.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 05:42:09 AM »
When you see a necromancer play a defensive forge, then alarm bells should go off.

With this openingen you cant know excately what he will do. He can go veteran belt tank (new to me), or double (or even tripple) spawnpoint.

You cant beat a zombie army, and judging from this post a veteran belt tank necro can be hard to take down if he get to build up as well. Solution: Get in his face.

Once you recoqnize that he doesnt play meditation amulet / death ring and libro / grave yard, then you should know what he is up to. So you initiate your counter.

Get 2 or 3 bigs and depending on the situation you might want to wreck the non-eternal servant first. He will have pretty low damage output, and soon be forced to guard with the servant which means you can decide what it attacks - this should leave all your creatures alive.
Dont be afraid of changing strategy during the course of this engagement. If you start out going for the mage, and he spends 3 actions and 15 mana on equipment, then its fine to change to board control. Clear the board of his creatures while you get ready to set up for the kill.

Once you are ready nuke him with acid ball every round and if he have very low damage you can even use your mage to remove guards so your big hitters can do the job.
AFTER, always AFTER he plays his regen stuff then you Death Lock. This way he gets 2 or 4 healing off, but spends almost same or more mana than you.

Or you can do as sdougla suggested, and play WaterGate Wizard.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 06:16:55 AM »
Bind an acid ball on an elemental wand for efficient armor removal. You don't really need 4 dissolves, 2-3 should be fine, the main problem is the armor and acid ball is a much better solution to that rather than dissolve.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:29 AM »
Bind an acid ball on an elemental wand for efficient armor removal. You don't really need 4 dissolves, 2-3 should be fine, the main problem is the armor and acid ball is a much better solution to that rather than dissolve.
This will not take care of Belts and Wands and other non-armor items so be careful with you decision. A Watergate Wizard with Jellies would be quite effective as it was pointed out.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
I will play my Warlord deck against him.

With the new Armory all your Friendly soldiers gain piercing +1 and melee +1 (that is just a bonus if it comes out).

But I don't really need the Armory yet.

These are the cards you needed:

1) Brogan (natural piercing +3). That makes his added armor -3.
2) If you have the armory available or if it is released this will make Brogan attack with -4 armor.
3) Take a few dissolves and dispels + mage wand.
4) Take Piercing strike (+3 to piercing) incantation.

If he does not have enough creature then he will lose with Brogan.  Or a well supported Brogan (Healed).

Hope this helps you.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
This will not take care of Belts and Wands and other non-armor items so be careful with you decision. A Watergate Wizard with Jellies would be quite effective as it was pointed out.

The only belt that absolutely needs dissolved would be the Colossal Belt (whatever the tough -2 one is).  You can cancel the regen with poisoned blood, ghoul rot, deathlock, etc, and the veteran belt does absolutely nothing if you get rid of the armor.  Yes the wands are a problem, but i doubt many books run more than 2.

I think 3 dissolves is perfectly fine.  It's not like the "stack armor, regen, vet belt" strategy is necro specific.  This is pretty much the stereotypical battleforge strat.  I've played against it and the only thing that is really worrisome is the armor, and the only spell that really makes gains against armor is acid ball.  That's just my experience though.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
@Timer

Please do not make more than one thread on the same topic while the current thread is still active.  8)

I will delete the other thread(s) and leave only the 1st one.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 12:55:15 AM »
I try to rebuilt one of my friend's deck by my memory.
Maybe some of cards are different.

mage:Nec

Conjuration

Mana Crystal x2
Battle Forge x1
Idol of Pestilence x1
Deathlock x1

Creatures

Skeletal Knight x2
Adremelech, Lord of Fire x1

enchament

Agony x2
Magebane x1
Enfeeble x2 ( play on enemy biggest creature or mage for earning more time to recover his life )
Death Link x2
Rhino Hide x2
Ghoul Rot x2
Nullify x3  ( waiting for enemy's dissolve)
Vampirism x1( for nec to gain life)
Maim Wings x1
Regrowth x2
Poisoned Blood x1

Incations

Drain Life x3
Dispel x3
Dissolve x3
Teleport x2
Seeking Dispel x2

Equip

Mage Wand x2
Wand of Healing x2 (For heal and remove corrode)
Demonhide Armor x1
Dragonscale Hauberkx1
Leather Boots x1
Leather Gloves x1
Cloak of Shadows x1
Veteran's Belt x3
Enchanter's Ring x1

This deck is almost nothing for damage ememy mage.
Every thing is existed for denfence & wasting enemy's dissolve .
4x dissolve is not enough to Break his denfence somtimes...(If nulify works again one of my dissolve)

In Turn 1 he will stay in corner and cast "battle forge "&"mana crystal"
In turn 2 he will summon Skeletal Knight +Rhino Hide  and Enchanter's Ring( by battle forge)

Skull knight with ethernal servant  is use to  kill enemy's creature ,mana conjuration .(not for guard)

Then killing enemy mage by curse or adam  or "mage wand+drain life" after 2 hour.

If all of this cannot work ., he will start to attack enemy conjuration  or mage by his melee attack .
Maybe this way will take 5~6 hours to win.

The most thing that I care is the game experience.

No mattle who wins , the game always have 2~4 hours game length

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:00:00 AM by timer000 »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »
First start putting time limits on your game. Who ever is ahead after say an hour and a half wins. That right there should get rid of half this books strategy immediately. Also if you ever play in an organized play event I can promise you: They will put time limits on your matches.

Kill the Skeletal Knight or tie him up with Tangle Vine, or just Agony him. Do the same for Adramelech. Then just start Acid Balling the enemy mage. Use Seeking Dispel to get rid of the Nullify then hit him with a Dissolve in the same turn to get rid of the Mage Wands he has. Also Surging Wave on his Battle Forge should make quick work of it early on. Then he has to equip all his stuff out of his own mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
First start putting time limits on your game. Who ever is ahead after say an hour and a half wins. That right there should get rid of half this books strategy immediately. Also if you ever play in an organized play event I can promise you: They will put time limits on your matches.

Kill the Skeletal Knight or tie him up with Tangle Vine, or just Agony him. Do the same for Adramelech. Then just start Acid Balling the enemy mage. Use Seeking Dispel to get rid of the Nullify then hit him with a Dissolve in the same turn to get rid of the Mage Wands he has. Also Surging Wave on his Battle Forge should make quick work of it early on. Then he has to equip all his stuff out of his own mana.
I forget use tange to this week @@.
Only add more dissolve+ more acid spell +death lock in my spell book .
I will try it .
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:21:43 AM by timer000 »