May 14, 2024, 05:21:55 PM

Author Topic: Wall of Holy Light  (Read 6572 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Wall of Holy Light
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
Somebody else can develop this, but I just had an idea of a wall with a variable passage attack that would depend on whether you're a friendly living (or perhaps more specifically, Holy school) creature or an enemy (or perhaps non-Holy) creature - sort of like Extinguish on some water-school attack spells, which can heal water-immune plants, etc.  The attack would deal X dice worth of light damage to enemy/non-Holy creatures, as is typical for walls with passage attack, but would instead heal the amount rolled on X dice for friendly/Holy creatures who pass through it.

Probably needs to be based on Holy/non-Holy because walls generally don't have a memory of who cast them (e.g. no control marker, etc).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:28:15 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Wall of Holy Light
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:46:40 AM »
cool idea!

How about, healing for holy school.
damage for the dark school.
nothing for the rest.

incorporeal
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
cool idea!

How about, healing for holy school.
damage for the dark school.
nothing for the rest.

incorporeal

Definitely Incorporeal. Probably doesn't block LoS - although I could imagine thematic arguments that it could.

I fear that only damaging Dark (or Undead) would be too situational. I fear that walls that don't do anything against most creatures (e.g. they walk through unhindered) wouldn't be worth including in your book and wouldn't see play, aside from casual matches where you know in advance that you're playing against a certain Mage. See Mana Prism or the Ankh promo that deals damage to Undead.  Cool cards, but they don't do anything in most cases.

To make the text work, it might list the attack like on most walls, then have text saying "if the target of its ____ attack is Holy, instead it heals the amount rolled on 2 dice" or something like that.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »
it could be an amazing block for a necro army. And you still have a free healing spell. you don't even need your mages or creatures action. the only thing the creature has to do is move a space. I really think it would be an amazing card without damaging all non-holy things.

Had an idea  ;D :

- add hindering to non-holy creatures (not an additional move action)
- The holy light blocks attack spells. (basically block LOS only for attack spells) Creatures still can shoot though.

Priestess could use this to heal her creatures, slow down the enemy's army and protect her temple from a [mwcard=MW1A04]Fireball[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWA02]Force Hammer[/mwcard]. In the meantime, a [mwcard=MW1C28]Royal Archer[/mwcard] can shoot or she could be using a [mwcard=MW1Q13]Ivarium Longbow[/mwcard]. And if the enemy happens to be a warlock or necro, it will damage them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:01:13 AM by Halewijn »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
You could make it stronger but decaying/dissolving whatever the new term is.  Perhaps also a stun/dazed chance for non light creatures; you've just waled through the light of asyra after all. Dark creatures are burnt and/or stunned, light creatures healed 1 dice perdecay token representing the waning strength.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:01 AM »
A hard concept to get right. Since this is a top-down design (the concept came first, the mechanics later) it's important to really flesh out what the card represents, and how that fits into Holy school.

Does it blind? Can you see through it? What conditions would it interact with, if any? Is it fragile? Temporary? Dangerous? Does it fly? etc. etc.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
A hard concept to get right. Since this is a top-down design (the concept came first, the mechanics later) it's important to really flesh out what the card represents, and how that fits into Holy school.

Does it blind? Can you see through it? What conditions would it interact with, if any? Is it fragile? Temporary? Dangerous? Does it fly? etc. etc.

How I see it:

A holy light-wall, nearly invisible. Maybe as if the sun shines brighter just on that line. It does not block line of sight. Ranged magical attacks are blocked by it. (so no fireball can hit something behind it) Zone attacks CAN go trough. (firestorm behind the wall is no problem)

But when creatures move trough it, Asyra will aid her followers or punish the evil creatures. Magical attacks are stopped, and shatter on the wall because Asyra wants to protect her holy priestess and temples.

mana cost&level: ? based on play-testing
incorporeal (health based on mana cost/testing/...) could be both fragile as strong
healing: 2 dice
damage: 3 dice direct damage,  7+ daze, 10+stun
Conditions: None or same as any other incorporeal conjuration
flying?: maybe both flying as non-flying? (covering everything)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:04:29 AM by Halewijn »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »
Kich is right here. Is it friendly creatures through a wall? Holy Creatures? What about a Warlock playing a Guardian Angel? How would you explain Asyra attacking the Angel as she went through a wall if she wasn't Friendly? Through the Wall if she (the angel) was aligned with a Dark Mage?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Kich is right here. Is it friendly creatures through a wall? Holy Creatures? What about a Warlock playing a Guardian Angel? How would you explain Asyra attacking the Angel as she went through a wall if she wasn't Friendly? Through the Wall if she (the angel) was aligned with a Dark Mage?

- not friendly. All holy creatures. It is just a spell created in the name of Asyra, everyone devoted to her gets her blessing (and other way around). Why would she favor 1 priestess over another? Maybe Asyra is not even there watching that battle.

- Warlock playing a guardian angel: same story. It's not like Asyra is judging there. It is the spell/wall that judges.

And thematically it is waaaay stranger a warlock/necro can convince salamandriel to battle for them.