May 06, 2024, 03:13:20 PM

Author Topic: Face-up/Face-down enchantment  (Read 9817 times)

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Face-up/Face-down enchantment
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Can you have a revealed enchantment and then have a face-down enchantment of the same name to counter a double action that pops an arcane ward and then dispels a card?

Basically, I'm wondering if to save myself as a Forcemaster with 1 life, I can have my revealed Forcefield protected by an Arcane Ward which can be negated with 2 dispels/1 seeking dispel-1 dispel, but then just reveal a facedown Forcefield to save myself? Because it doesn't seem right that a solid defensive strategy is so easily countered and can't be stopped by any means currently available.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Face-up/Face-down enchantment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
You may not attach two Enchantments of the same name to the same object even if one is face up and the other is face down.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Face-up/Face-down enchantment
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
Can you have a revealed enchantment and then have a face-down enchantment of the same name to counter a double action that pops an arcane ward and then dispels a card?

Basically, I'm wondering if to save myself as a Forcemaster with 1 life, I can have my revealed Forcefield protected by an Arcane Ward which can be negated with 2 dispels/1 seeking dispel-1 dispel, but then just reveal a facedown Forcefield to save myself? Because it doesn't seem right that a solid defensive strategy is so easily countered and can't be stopped by any means currently available.

Simple solution. Enchanter's wardstones+arcane wards + at least two copies of forcefield. You might not even need the arcane wards. If you're losing that badly and you don't have enough tempo to put another forcefield on, that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the rules, it means you were outplayed.

Your board position probably wasn't good enough to make a comeback at that point.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:33:56 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
No, it means the double action or triple if it's at the very end of a phase is impossible to be countered and that makes one play style (aggressive) way more viable over any other play style. No move should be impossible to counter and this one is. Even a Nullify/Reverse Magic won't work in this case as far as I know.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
No, it means the double action or triple if it's at the very end of a phase is impossible to be countered and that makes one play style (aggressive) way more viable over any other play style. No move should be impossible to counter and this one is. Even a Nullify/Reverse Magic won't work in this case as far as I know.

Can't you Arcane Ward an Arcane Ward? I mean, they would be on different targets. One Ward would be targeting your forcefield and the other would be targeting the first Ward.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Forcefield is expensive enough to justify us of Purge Magic against which the Ward is useless.

Prepare another Forcefield if You suspect that enemy wants to cast double dispel to deal with your warded Forcefield. You still will get a time window to recast the Field unless enemy has free action attacks (Wizard's Tower, Ballista).

Can't you Arcane Ward an Arcane Ward? I mean, they would be on different targets. One Ward would be targeting your forcefield and the other would be targeting the first Ward.
But why for?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »
Preparing another forcefield wouldn't work in the situation of having 1 life remaining I was thinking because basically if they have more creatures which in most cases against a Forcemaster they would have, they'll get the last action and if I've used my Quickcast to do something else already, they'll be able to use their action (dispel 1 - pops Arcane Ward), their final quickcast (dispels Forcefield) and then next round use their First Quickcast to hit me with an attack spell that will for all intents, end the game. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to interrupt certain combinations.

Here's an idea...could I have Arcane Ward on another creature and use Enchantment Transfusion to move it to Forcefield?

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »
Yes, You could transfer the Ward this way. There's nothing saying that new target must be of the same type as previous one, just legal target.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »
A good way to safe forcefield is enchantment transfusion. Even better with another one to move it back when needed again. You can use it without having yourself an action going on.
Also an ET can support you with a second nullify that is moved to you from a nearby friendly creature that is has to be prepared for that after seeking dispel played out yours (and you are not allowed to have tso on you).

-> there are ways to handle those tricky situations.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »
A good way to safe forcefield is enchantment transfusion. Even better with another one to move it back when needed again. You can use it without having yourself an action going on.
Also an ET can support you with a second nullify that is moved to you from a nearby friendly creature that is has to be prepared for that after seeking dispel played out yours (and you are not allowed to have tso on you).

You can't move around the [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] as it can only target the Forcemaster.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »

You can have your FF protected with an hidden enchantment and then the opponent can Seeking Dispel the protection spell. You then can Transfuse another protection spell (typically the same one that was trashed by the Seeking Dispel) back on to the mage or object in question. At least that is how I read what chief said....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »
now you cant move an arcane ward with enchantment onto the forcefield. cause you have to move it to a legal target creature, but you want to move it to a legal target enchantment. Good that it is so

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 03:27:35 AM »
Yep I forgot rufst Forcefield is FM only. So ET it away to save it won't work. Sorry about that mistake.

Anyway the second possibility is safe. ET another protection spell to the FM after seeking dispel destroyed the first.yes that is exactly how I ment it, sIKE.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:29 AM »
but what is a proetction spell for forcefield against dispel? only a arcane ward can do that and that you cant transfuse as the forcefield is no legal target for the transfusion

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:52 AM »
You are right. Dispel would always work as it targets the enchantment not the mage. A way to counter this could be ET jinx on enemy Mage.