May 16, 2024, 06:33:19 PM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over  (Read 15792 times)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over
« on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »
Hey all!

So we haven't posted a video in awhile now and I just wanted to say that we're still active and around. Things have been crazy the past few months, but it looks like we'll be releasing videos again soon.

During our absence we've had to work at a lot of conventions (Part of our day job), we joined the playtesters program for Arcane Wonders, started reformatting the Arcane Duels videos, and had some health issues. I was sick/in the hospital for a few weeks because my gallbladder tried to kill me, but I destroyed it for its traitorous actions first.

Enough excuses though, on to the good stuff!
  • We hired one of our friends as an editor so we can have better video quality and get the shows out faster.
  • We came up with some improvements that should make things more interesting.
  • The Quick Cast short episodes we promised have been formatted and are in production
  • A few videos have already been recorded and are just waiting for some finishing touches to be posted.
  • We'll be breaking our episodes into shorter segments from here on so it's easier to watch it in short bursts.

In addition to all of this we'll be starting a Patreon. If you're unaware of the website it basically allows you to be a patron for artists and the such where you can support them for each product (video) released or month that passes. This will help us get better equipment to improve and speed up the process.

Our main goal here is to help bring this community together. We all love Mage Wars and we want to improve the experience with better communication and more frequent matches.

This being said, Arcane Duels would appreciate it if you shot us some feedback. What could help take this community to the next level? We've talked about weekly Skype chats, structured OCTGN matches, in depth breakdown of cards and decks readily available, etc. What would you like to see, what have you been wanting with Mage Wars that we can assist with?

We'd love your input, thanks for you time.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »

This being said, Arcane Duels would appreciate it if you shot us some feedback. What could help take this community to the next level? We've talked about weekly Skype chats, structured OCTGN matches, in depth breakdown of cards and decks readily available, etc. What would you like to see, what have you been wanting with Mage Wars that we can assist with?

We'd love your input, thanks for you time.
[/quote]

Just shooting some ideas :

- maybe fellow mages could send in spellbooks and Some info on How to play with them, and then you could play with them in your video's ?
- i don't know if technology allows you to, but could it be possible to see mana/channelling/life in Some corner of the screen instead of in between phases ? Would help to follow easier !

Thanks for bringing us these matches ! Looking forward for the new stuff !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Just shooting some ideas :

- maybe fellow mages could send in spellbooks and Some info on How to play with them, and then you could play with them in your video's ?
- i don't know if technology allows you to, but could it be possible to see mana/channelling/life in Some corner of the screen instead of in between phases ? Would help to follow easier !

The first point is a great idea! We've considering having people vote on mages or deck concept but never brought up playing custom decks by other creators.

We do indeed have such technology, Editing programs have come a long way in a very short amount of time. In fact, we've been talking about how to better portray player resources during the match for awhile now.

Thanks for the ideas!

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
back when i used to watch mage wars youtube games, i didnt like watching the players think for longer than a minute. I don't know if you already edit this down, but you could edit out any gabs in gameplay longer than 30 seconds if they arent talking about something important.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
We do not show the planning or upkeep phases. We roll burns coming into the new round. We leave in some discussion while we are playing the round, but there isn't a lot of downtime in our videos.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
Hey there,

I'm looking forward to bringing out some more Mage Wars stuff. I can already tell a major difference in my style of playing and knowledge of rules when compared to games released almost a year ago.

@Pete2  I would love to play some submitted spellbooks. We've talked about having people be a part of the intro through skype or they create their own introduction to say how the book is supposed to be played. We've also thought about maybe playing a game with skype where someone challenges one of us. Hopin for the best.

@echephron I agree completely. We first started making videos because no one was really making them. Also all the videos that were out just simply explained how to play the game (which is not bad). A lot of those videos also had long silent stages that would drag on. We wanted to create a video that had the core of the game to the person that already knew how to play. Also we wanted to create some wacky new spellbooks that could shake up the meta.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
I have a potential turn wizard book we could try... haha

At least i think it works. if not turn 4...

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Finally, the wait is over. Looking forward to the new content. I am sure it will be awesome.

I think it is a good idea to get some input from the community, e.g. Building a spellbook together and then using that in one for the videos

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
Glad to hear you're in good health and saddling up that horse again.

I would like to see some content involving top tier players like Charmyna, David Chang, Nick Tinko, A. West, Tim McCurry, and Steve Walters, assuming they still play and they're still in the play-testing pool. My $0.02.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:30 PM »

I would like to see some content involving top tier players like Charmyna, David Chang, Nick Tinko, A. West, Tim McCurry, and Steve Walters, assuming they still play and they're still in the play-testing pool. My $0.02.

Don't forget all the leading innovators in spellbook design! Most of us are pretty decent players and are sometimes able to hold our own with the top tier players and even win against them every once in a while.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »
Great news! I really like the idea of a challenge match via Skype. I might be up for it. :)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:35 AM »

Don't forget all the leading innovators in spellbook design! Most of us are pretty decent players and are sometimes able to hold our own with the top tier players and even win against them every once in a while.

Great suggestions!
Once we get things in motion I'll start another thread about trying to get some of these legendary players together. You're right S. Vulcan, top players are just as important as great Spell Books. We'd love to host a match for them so we can send let some of that inspiration flow into the community.

Other ideas?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:05:05 AM »
Only last things are some Elf ladys holding Round 1, Round 2, Round 3.... signs between last quickcast phase and planning phase :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »
Only last things are some Elf ladys holding Round 1, Round 2, Round 3.... signs between last quickcast phase and planning phase :)

Oh yeah ! and also add special effects when casting fireball, electrify etc....;-)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
To be honest, i sometimes do special sound effects when casting some spells. It is unintentional but boosting my rolls :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )