May 05, 2024, 08:59:42 AM

Author Topic: Sectarus and Rise Again  (Read 2599 times)

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Sectarus and Rise Again
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
Hi,

since my last post was rather successful, here's another one:

If I kill something with a Sectarus attack, do I have time to attach Rise Again with the blade's ability before the game actually checks whether or not the damage is sufficient to kill the creature?

I've seen a detailed illustration of the different steps in attack, but it did not show any "check whether unit is dead" step.

If that check is done at the first possible "everything else is resolved"-moment, I would like to think that it's possible.
That would also mean that Zone attacks don't kill creatures/structures one by one, but all at once after the full attack has been resolved.

If that check is immediately done whenever damage is applied to anything, it would make my zombie-raising Deathslayer fantasy impossible.
It would also make it really important to choose whether or not I want my chainlightling to kill the standard bearer first, so that subsequent targets don't have the armor bonus.

I'm rather convinced it's the second case :(
Please someone prove me wrong.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sectarus and Rise Again
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
You can't do it - Sectarus doesn't trigger until you have damaged a creature, and at the point the damage is applied to make that condition true, the creature is dead.

There is no stack in MW (even in something like MtG it would be removed by a State Based Effect - too quick to respond to, although triggers can occur just like in MW), when the creature is dead, it's dead, placed straight into the discard pile, do not pass go, etc.  It goes from alive to in the discard pile with nothing happening in between - even triggers caused by that resolve after it's dead (they have to for something like Second Chance or Rise Again to work)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:57:36 PM by Kelanen »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
Just gonna confirm Kel's answer. Some days I wish I had the power to give out banana stickers, but then I realize I'd just eat them all.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Sectarus and Rise Again are actually not a very good combination.

The curse spell on sectarus can only be played if the attacked creature is damaged but not dead.

Rise Again though only triggers when the creature is dead.
As such you can better cast Rise Again with your Quick Action right before you finish off a creature, then you can trigger the Rise Again and put it right back into your Spellbook ( when playing a Warlock )
Personaly I don't like to leave an untriggered RA on a creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Its a gamble but you've got a decent chance to ace down a creature with 10ish life with a one-two punch combo. So if you open witg sectarus and decent damage you could drop the rise again for cheap then follow up with a firestream or rock and finish it off. Its possible, but i dunno if id wanna do it. That's pretty heavy rng.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Kelanen has the first and correct answer for SirJason. Enjoy your sticker sir!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest