May 04, 2024, 02:27:32 AM

Author Topic: noob question - counterstrike  (Read 8463 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: noob question - counterstrike
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:46 PM »
drmambo23
The codex entry for Counterstrike will answer all of your questions. It says that if a creature has a quick action melee attack with the Counterstrike trait is ever the defender of a melee attack, it gets to use that melee attack against it's attacker during the Counterstrike Step. It never mentions having to use your action marker, therefore you don't. It never mentions having to have your action marker active or inactive, therefore it doesn't matter. It also doesn't say that this ability is limited to once per round, so you can use it as often as it is triggered.

Thus, with the Hydra or any other such creature, if he is EVER attacked with a melee attack, you will use his counterstrike against the attacker. If he is attacked with multiple melee attack actions in the same round, you will use his counterstrike against EACH of them. It never matters whether he is active or inactive, and it does not affect his ability to take an action at all. You will still get to use his action however you wish.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:26:49 PM by Zuberi »

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »
I have another question from a new player, what happens if a Mage has a damage barrier as well as something like Spiked Buckler.  What would be the result if that Mage was attacked? Would both the damage barrier and the Spiked Buckler trigger from the attack?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
I have another question from a new player, what happens if a Mage has a damage barrier as well as something like Spiked Buckler.  What would be the result if that Mage was attacked? Would both the damage barrier and the Spiked Buckler trigger from the attack?

Yes you can use a Damage Barrier and a Counterstrike against the same incoming attack., They are two separate things. You can't use 2 sources of counterstrike, or 2 damage barriers however.

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
Thanks!

It's only for casual play, because Spiked Armor is only a promo still, but I wanted to run both Spiked Buckler and Spiked Armor for a Warlord book, and didn't know if they could both work on the same attack. Not sure yet how useful it will be, but I am gonna try it out.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »
I like Spiked Armour quite a lot, particularly in my Necromancers...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
On a related note: If I counterstrike (via any method) with Sectarus, does that count as "attacking and damaging" the enemy creature for it's effect? Or do I still need to use a normal action to do it?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 07:17:35 PM »
On a related note: If I counterstrike (via any method) with Sectarus, does that count as "attacking and damaging" the enemy creature for it's effect? Or do I still need to use a normal action to do it?

Assuming you cause damage, then yes it counts...

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »

Counter strikes count as attacks!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest