May 04, 2024, 11:14:32 AM

Author Topic: Chant of Rage vs Chant of Rage  (Read 5024 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
Chant of Rage vs Chant of Rage
« on: December 11, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Is it possible to counter the opponents Chant of Rage with my own Chant of Rage?
Let's say my opponent plays Siren and I play Paladin. My opponent put a Chant of Rage on my Cassiel and put a Hate token on his Deptonne Berserker. Now, I play Chant of Rage on his Naiya and put a Rage Token on my Metatron. Since Metatron has a  Rage token and Chant of Rage does not mention whether the "hated" creature has to be an enemy creature, am I free to choose Metatron as the "hated" creature while using my Cassiels Action?
The reason I ask is not because I want to attack my own creature ;). I imagine a situation in which I use Metatron to allow the enchanted Cassiel to move in the direction that I choose by moving Metatron instead of the direction my opponent dictates by positioning his Deptonne Berserker.
This question might sound strange at first glance, but from my imagination it could become quite important in games once Chant of Rage is used heavily.

Offtopic: Sorry for being absent most of the time. I really love this game, so I will always come back from time to time when RL is opening up possibilities ;).

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Chant of Rage vs Chant of Rage
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
Good to hear from you Charm  :D

You are correct in that it is possible. As long as you fulfill the obligation of moving toward a hate token and meleeing if possible you can do your example as stated. Since Metatron is flying and cassiel is flying you would be forced to melee him if you go into his zone.

And I have been using Chant of Rage a lot. It tends to impact slow creatures the most in my experience. Familiars are a fantastic choice as well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:26:25 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Coshade!
Sounds like Chant of Rage really opens up a lot of tactical moves :).

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
hey man. good to hear from you indeed. hey, i may be hosting another mw weekend here in indy on 2/24-2/26 weather permitting. you certainly would be welcome too.  i know it would be a bit of a drive, but just in case you could make it, that would be great. i will post more when we get closer to let folks know.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
hey man. good to hear from you indeed. hey, i may be hosting another mw weekend here in indy on 2/24-2/26 weather permitting. you certainly would be welcome too.  i know it would be a bit of a drive, but just in case you could make it, that would be great. i will post more when we get closer to let folks know.

I am free this weekend :D The sooner you know let me know and I can buy a bus ticket
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Is it possible to counter the opponents Chant of Rage with my own Chant of Rage?
Let's say my opponent plays Siren and I play Paladin. My opponent put a Chant of Rage on my Cassiel and put a Hate token on his Deptonne Berserker. Now, I play Chant of Rage on his Naiya and put a Rage Token on my Metatron. Since Metatron has a  Rage token and Chant of Rage does not mention whether the "hated" creature has to be an enemy creature, am I free to choose Metatron as the "hated" creature while using my Cassiels Action?
The reason I ask is not because I want to attack my own creature ;). I imagine a situation in which I use Metatron to allow the enchanted Cassiel to move in the direction that I choose by moving Metatron instead of the direction my opponent dictates by positioning his Deptonne Berserker.
This question might sound strange at first glance, but from my imagination it could become quite important in games once Chant of Rage is used heavily.

Offtopic: Sorry for being absent most of the time. I really love this game, so I will always come back from time to time when RL is opening up possibilities ;).

Wait! Before you disappear from this world to return to RL for another couple years, I have a question for you!

...Have you ever played Mage Wars Academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »

I am free this weekend :D The sooner you know let me know and I can buy a bus ticket

it is decided as far as i am concerned. i just hope weather will not be an issue.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »

Wait! Before you disappear from this world to return to RL for another couple years, I have a question for you!

...Have you ever played Mage Wars Academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;). I havent had the pleasure. But I can imagine its quite fun. In the future I hope the Academy format will be an excellent alternative for competitive play and streaming.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
Welcome back Charmyna! I don't mean to hijack the thread to ask you a question (but im gonna), but have you gotten to weigh in on the wizard erratas? I know you've got a couple books in the library of the white spires that were non air wizards, im super intrested in any adjustments you may have made since then.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »
On the topic of double chant of rage, and/or bloodthirsty. A creature can't leave a zone containing a mandatory target even if entering a zone containing a new one, right? You can only choose which mandatory target in your zone to attack.....
Siren is so cool

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
That is correct. This is similar to bloodthirsty in that if you have a mandatory action to take in your zone you must take it if possible, even if leaving the zone would provide you with a different mandatory action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
You can only leave the zone if leaving the zone is itself a Mandatory Action, such as with Siren's call, because then you're choosing between two Mandatory Actions. You can't leave just because it makes another Mandatory Action possible, because then you're choosing between a Mandatory Action and a non-Mandatory Action that just happens to lead to another Mandatory Action.

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
An additional question:

Does chant of rage have the effect that the enchanted creature HAS TO go trough a wall with the passage attack trait? If it is the only (and shortest) way to the hate-token?

If that is the case, what I assume, does it change something if los is blocked or not? Does it even have to go through a firewall because on the other side of the wall there is a little demon waiting?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
An additional question:

Does chant of rage have the effect that the enchanted creature HAS TO go trough a wall with the passage attack trait? If it is the only (and shortest) way to the hate-token?

If that is the case, what I assume, does it change something if los is blocked or not? Does it even have to go through a firewall because on the other side of the wall there is a little demon waiting?

With Chant of Rage the enchanted creature gains a Mandatory action of "Must melee attack if able" AND a mandatory action of "Must move closer if cannot attack".  Each move the creature makes must bring it closer to  A creature that has a Hate token.  If this move would take them into harm or danger then they still must make the move.  The reason I emphasize "A" instead of "The" creature with a Hate token is due to the original post.  As long as you melee attack or move closer to any creature with a Hate token you've fulfilled your obligation even if it wasn't the hate token that was placed by the enchantment affecting the enraged creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »
Welcome back Charmyna! I don't mean to hijack the thread to ask you a question (but im gonna), but have you gotten to weigh in on the wizard erratas? I know you've got a couple books in the library of the white spires that were non air wizards, im super intrested in any adjustments you may have made since then.

Thanks :). I am glad there is an errata of the wizard and I believe this one is a wise and well thought one. The wizard is not over nerfed, but without the option to choose water, earth and fire, he won't stay on the top of the top after each new expansion. Now, I see him in the middle of the top tier although I havent played much lately so its really just a gut feeling. Hope to get in more games soon and to see how mages line up these days :).