May 17, 2024, 07:04:03 AM

Author Topic: Screech Harpy and Gate to Voltari  (Read 7149 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Screech Harpy and Gate to Voltari
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
I didn't see anything under Screech Harpy and nothing relevant when I searched Gate to Voltari, so I find myself asking:

May a creature that is only "partially" Arcane (i.e. having at least one level of Arcane plus one or more levels in another school, such as the Screech Harpy) be summoned via the Gate to Voltari? The Gate says that it can summon corporeal Arcane creatures. Does this creature satisfy the "arcane" component, or does the fact that it also has a level of Air prevent it from being summoned via the Gate?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:48:12 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Screech Harpy and Gate to Voltari
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
No official response here but since the Harpy is an Arcane AND Air creature she qualifies for requirements regarding both schools.

So yes, she can be summoned through the gate.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:07:15 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »
Borg is correct. She is an Arcane and an Air creature. The addition of the Air component does not eliminate or invalidate the Arcane component in any way. Thus, she can be summoned by [mwcard=MW1J07]Gate to Voltari[/mwcard] because she is an Arcane creature.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
There were a question if devils trident can be casted by sersyryx. Answer was yes and reasoning was same as what dr. Zuberi wrote :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
if we are talking about Screech Harpy, just to be clear, those full action attack cannot be used versus Conjurations and Psychic immunity creatures (zombies, sekletals, ...).

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
There were a question if devils trident can be casted by sersyryx. Answer was yes and reasoning was same as what dr. Zuberi wrote :-)

To my knowledge there is no official ruling on the Imp Familiar and Devils trident:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14215.msg38668#msg38668

You cannot compare harpy + gate to Sersiryx + Trident - different wordings.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
In case there was confusion, Sersiryx can cast Devil's Trident. Both he and Gate to voltari are asking a simple yes/no question is this spell [BLANK] school? If their level is listed as that school regardless of if it has other schools then it is that school. So short answer is yes She's an Arcane spell.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »
if we are talking about Screech Harpy, just to be clear, those full action attack cannot be used versus Conjurations and Psychic immunity creatures (zombies, sekletals, ...).

Why is that? Is the attack psychic? Isn't that an area attack symbol? (sometimes I can't tell between the two)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »

Why is that? Is the attack psychic? Isn't that an area attack symbol? (sometimes I can't tell between the two)

How cant you make a difference between an eye (psychic attack) and a square with arrows (zone attack)?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

How cant you make a difference between an eye (psychic attack) and a square with arrows (zone attack)?

It really doesn't matter why... I just can't sometimes.

It was the only thing that I could imagine that made it unable to affect Psychic Immune creatures.

So... why doesn't it affect Psychic Immune creatures if it isn't a Psychic attack, and out of curiosity, when doesn't it affect Conjurations at all? There doesn't seem to be anything to that effect on the card.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:22:29 PM by DaveW »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
A circular purple eyeball means it is a psychic attack. That is why it does not affect those things. If it was a zone attack, it would be square with arrows in it. Thus, screech harpy's psychic attack can not affect conjurations or psychic immune creatures.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I gave Borg a sticker  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
A circular purple eyeball means it is a psychic attack. That is why it does not affect those things. If it was a zone attack, it would be square with arrows in it. Thus, screech harpy's psychic attack can not affect conjurations or psychic immune creatures.

So this is a Psychic attack? It looks like a purple circle with purple points (arrows?) sticking out of it. I thought the arrows made it a zone attack... but you're right... that's a square. Is the middle of it supposed to be an eye? I can't tell... it's too much the same color for me to see it.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
I believe it's supposed to be an eyeball, but mostly just because that's the way I've heard it described. To me it just looks like purple concentric circles. But I think that's the best way for you to distinguish the two. Purple Circle = Psychic. Square = Zone Attack. I'm not immediately recalling any other symbols in the game that are square in nature, so I think that should be a good way to go for you.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »
Cool.... thanks! I guess the Harpy isn't going to make the final cut... if that were a zone attack then I'd probably go for it.