May 08, 2024, 08:19:10 AM

Author Topic: Help me beat the Forcemaster  (Read 10670 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Help me beat the Forcemaster
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Dispel force field asap.

I agree with all of this but this. I think that you should knock it down to 0 in 1 round or 2. It is not that hard to do, a Force Push through a Wall of Thorns is the quick and action efficient way to do this. Else you should have 3-4 creatures out and have them all hit the shield. Once you have it down to 0, the FM now (I have been here several times) has a very tough decision, do I pay the Upkeep +2 or not? If I do I only get one Forcefield marker in return, else (I typically carry two in my books) it goes away and I have to spend another action and a large chunk of mana again. At this point you should be attacking the FM at least once a round to zero out the Forcefield. Now put the hurt on him and it will take long...weapon and creatures with the Unavoidable trait have high value here.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Dispel force field asap.

I agree with all of this but this. I think that you should knock it down to 0 in 1 round or 2. It is not that hard to do, a Force Push through a Wall of Thorns is the quick and action efficient way to do this. Else you should have 3-4 creatures out and have them all hit the shield. Once you have it down to 0, the FM now (I have been here several times) has a very tough decision, do I pay the Upkeep +2 or not? If I do I only get one Forcefield marker in return, else (I typically carry two in my books) it goes away and I have to spend another action and a large chunk of mana again. At this point you should be attacking the FM at least once a round to zero out the Forcefield. Now put the hurt on him and it will take long...weapon and creatures with the Unavoidable trait have high value here.

I think this plays into the FM's game. Playing blocks and reverse attacks stall rounds and get counters back. If you do beat through the FF, even an extra attack may fail to Deflect/Scimitar, then another FF pops up next round. If one dedicates dispelling every FF put up then it is a back and forth soft-lock on mana. I have cast up to three FF in a game before that made the difference of me winning or losing.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »
If my FM is casting Enchantments and such he is not attacking or using his pull ability + Full attack.

Every time I lost with my FM to Charmyna it was because I was distracted from using Galvitar and trying to keep my defenses up.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
put on falcon precision then your attacks are unavoidable and his force shield is useless

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Forcefield stops unavoidable attacks because its not a defense.  It it specifically worded to bypass that mechanic.

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Yeah, FF would be terrible if trumped so easily. It's possibly the FM's strongest card, imo. Hence getting rid of it. In mirror matches I would tend to run a dispel every round with 12 mana free so I could erase it as soon as it hit the table. The fallback was to dispel a charm or MC as soon as it hit.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I would argue that galvitar is the force masters strongest card, without it he is pretty much useless which is the only reason I can figure that it was given cantrip when no other weapon in the game has it

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
I would argue that galvitar is the force masters strongest card, without it he is pretty much useless which is the only reason I can figure that it was given cantrip when no other weapon in the game has it

Check out the "Grizzly" type spell books that don't run it at all. Not that such unorthodox (read: desperate for points and mana) spell book design is healthy or intelligent. :P

The FM doesn't have many options for actions and attacking with her every round closes off a lot of options. I know it seems silly, I know.

Anyway, I promised I was returning to my hermit shack. *ninja smoke bomb*