May 02, 2024, 11:51:20 AM

Author Topic: Plagued  (Read 5584 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Plagued
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
I got one of the Plagued cards at Gencon, and am wondering about it. It says that it can be cast on a Corporeal Creature. Shouldn't that be Living Creature? I can imagine having it on an Iron Golem, who wouldn't be affected by the plague. Or would he? The text on the card confuses me a little... the bit that says "including this creature" seems to indicate that anyone who is plagued also suffers from it... but an Iron Golem, for example, isn't Living.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Plagued
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
Non-living creatures have Poison Immunity, and Plagued has a "Poison" subtype.  So according to Immunity rules, they cant be legal targets of the enchantment.  So an Iron Golem couldn't be Plagued.

So really it can only target Living Creatures anyway, unless something comes out that takes away Immunities or Poison Immunity from a non living creature in which case you could then put it on such a creature.   But thats a bit of a stretch.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
I have to disagree. While it is possible that they intended it to only be playable on living creatures, I seriously doubt they would have used the key wording of corporeal creature if that was the intent. The disagreement between the two statement is ambiguous. I think it's a pretty big stretch to assert that (including this creature) implies that the creature must be living. It seems only to imply that the effect includes all creatures in the zone including the one it is cast on.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
All Nonliving objects have the Poison Immune trait.

Immunity means that the object cannot be targeted or affected by spells of the specified type.

Plague has the Poison subtype. Therefore, you cannot target a nonliving creature with Plague.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
I have to disagree. While it is possible that they intended it to only be playable on living creatures, I seriously doubt they would have used the key wording of corporeal creature if that was the intent. The disagreement between the two statement is ambiguous. I think it's a pretty big stretch to assert that (including this creature) implies that the creature must be living. It seems only to imply that the effect includes all creatures in the zone including the one it is cast on.

With poison as a subtype the intent was that plagued was never meant to be used on creatures with the non living trait.

From that we can infer that the intent was to place it on a living creature (which is the only type target-able unless they have poison immunity like Malacoda) and use it as a zone wide poison damage attack. However to add clarity to the effect "deal one direct poison damage to all creatures in this zone" they added in (including this creature) to reinforce that the living creature it is attached to is not immune to the damage.

However that is interesting that plagued can not target Malacoda, but Malacoda does indeed do an amplified version of the effect. Guess you really can't beat a classic.  ;D

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:49:39 AM »
Its a great spell. I think it will have its uses against defensives strats with lots of guarding / intercept.

I too was worried about the plague iron golems because i forgot about the immunity.
I still so nice combinations where you plague your own creature (to keep control over plague) and send it to the frontline.

If you get mass slept it might be the best way to wake up - even just normal sleep might be worth it and then shiftenchant it later.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »
All Nonliving objects have the Poison Immune trait.

Immunity means that the object cannot be targeted or affected by spells of the specified type.

Plague has the Poison subtype. Therefore, you cannot target a nonliving creature with Plague.

Ok that sounds like a solid argument. I do think that could have made this a little clearer on the card though.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »
Plagued plus regeneration equals awesome

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
Or just play Malacoda?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Or plagued highland unicorn

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
Or plagued highland unicorn
Nice

Shhhh I did not want to mention this interaction. :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »
Malacoda and the M tree was a combo I used but that was very good for FM. This combo is mobile

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:05 AM »
Malacoda and the M tree was a combo I used but that was very good for FM. This combo is mobile

I used the Malcoda version when I played at last years Gencon
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage