May 05, 2024, 12:50:26 PM

Author Topic: New Mage Idea: The Bard  (Read 4525 times)

Shotgun81

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New Mage Idea: The Bard
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »
So I have been thinking about this one for a while and I present to you: The Bard

The Bard
Spellbook points: 120
Health: 34
Armor: 0
Channeling: 10
Training: Mind and Arcane. Must spend triple for all elemental spells (earth,fire,wind,water)
Abilities:
Biggest fan: When a friendly non-Legendary human, dwarf or elf creature comes into play you can pay additional mana equal to it's level to make it your Biggest fan. It gains armor +2 and when it ends it's action in the same zone as the Bard it gains a guard marker.
Power chord: 1 mana cost range 1-2 mind attack. 2 dice of damage. Etherial. counts as a quick spell. Can only be cast once per turn.
Basic Melee Attack: quick action 3 dice.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I had an idea for a spawn point that was a tavern. I also would like to see more mental creatures. And maybe a confusion spell or something similar.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: New Mage Idea: The Bard
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:21:30 AM »
Power chord should be Psychic damage type and have Critical damage (e.g. bypasses Armor), 2 dice for 2 mana. Maybe make it a full action and just range 0-1 though. A  built-in range 2 quick attack would be crazy good.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
I like a lot of the ideas you have here. I think the biggest fan might need a buff besides armor, maybe tough and melee+ to show the resiliency he gets from the bard and his dedication?

The Power chord range is a bit high, but there might be a way to make a zone attack out of it. something like:

Power chord: 2 mana cost range 0-1 psychic zone attack. 2 dice of damage. Etherial. counts as a quick spell. Can only be cast once per turn. Does not affect the Bard or Biggest Fan.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:19:39 AM »
I like the addition of Jason.

Maybe his additions + this:

Biggest fan: what Jason said + psychic immunity. Making him invulnarable for the Power chord or FM mind tricks.

Power chord: mana cost: 2. psychic, 2 attack dice range 0-0, ethereal, stagger 10+
"You can pay an additional 4(?) mana to target all creatures up to 1 zone away. (no need for LOS)

In the middle of the arena, this attack would target all creatures in 5 zones. For realism maybe make diagonal corners count as well. Making it maximum 9 zones. The psychic makes sure it doesn't hit conjurations. does not hit the biggest fan. or mages (not even the enemy mage)

not sure about a balanced mana cost. I just picked a random number.

no LOS: Sound goes around and trough walls, in all directions.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Shotgun81

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 01:48:55 AM »
Ok. I did some adjustments. I beefed up the Biggest fan a little. I want power chord to be close to on par with  arcane zap. This version of it I would classify as strictly weaker, due to the amount of things immune to psychic. I would rather it do force damage, and be etherial, but if I did that I would drop it back to only 2 dice of damage. Its also still twice as expensive as Arcane zap so I don't feel it puts it out of line with the original intent.

The Bard
Spellbook points: 120
Health: 34
Armor: 0
Channeling: 10
Training: Mind and Arcane. Must spend triple for all elemental spells (earth,fire,wind,water)
Abilities:
Biggest fan: When a friendly non-Legendary human, dwarf or elf creature comes into play you can pay additional mana equal to it's level to make it your Biggest fan. It gains armor +2, range +1, melee +1 and when it ends it's action in the same zone as the Bard it gains a guard marker.
Power chord: 2 mana cost range 0-1 mind attack. psychic damage 3 dice of damage. Critical. Counts as a quick spell. Can only be cast once per turn.
Basic Melee Attack: quick action 2 dice.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
Maybe drop an armor from the fan, but otherwise looks legit.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
New Mage Idea: The Bard
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
Why arcane and mind? I would think that songs aren't restricted to those two schools. For that matter, we already have a siren coming our way, so why would we need a bard? Both of them sing. (Or at least I'm pretty sure the siren sings.)

Also shouldn't this be in the custom cards section under creative?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shotgun81

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
To your first question. Mind for the mind altering effects of the songs he plays. ( I see these as having beneficial effects as opposed to the siren who would have mostly negative ones. Similar to how both beast master and warlock can be enchantment heavy but the targets and effects are opposed).
 I put arcane as secondary for 2 reasons. First to have anot her arcane trained mage. Second it (to me) represents the lore and learning aspect of the bard. I had also thought about his secondary being the wind school(sound being expressed in air), but with arcane I was able to have the triple cost for all elemental magic that made sense and balanced him out.

I posted it here in the suggestion board because that is what it is. I would like to see this ( or a bard of their own design) made. One, I think the flavor of it is absolutely awesome and two, I have a friend that I could get into the game by the draw of the barday alone. (He does currently play, but none of the current makes appeal to him)