May 06, 2024, 12:58:12 PM

Author Topic: Additional tokens  (Read 8962 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Additional tokens
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 05:02:34 AM »
I'm guessing you and your opponent are both extremely defensive players.

Actually the problem arises when we play 2v2, 1v1v1, or 1v1v1v1.  So many mages and their channeling objects we tend to start running out.  Aggressive players that make their move too early often find themselves ganged up and dead.  Tactics are very different in games other than 1v1.

In free for alls, making the win condition be "last mage standing" biases the game in favor of control mages. If the win condition were "first to kill an enemy mage", this biases in favor of aggro. In a 4 player free for all, having exactly two winners and two losers doesn't really work. If you're looking for balance, I would say play a game with two teams of even size, or a much larger free for all. Or just 1v1.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:04:41 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Recon022

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Additional tokens
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
Here is also a pretty good site if you want to get into custom tokens and such...

http://www.litko.net/

omg. i gotta pimp out my burn makers with the tokens from this site!

I know huh. I really like litko. I have had them make completely custom tokens for me for other games, including custom shape...

ScaredyCat

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Additional tokens
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
In free for alls, making the win condition be "last mage standing" biases the game in favor of control mages.
I agree - that is the natural tendency but aggro play has worked on occasion especially when the opponents were too focused on control/turtle-ling.

If the win condition were "first to kill an enemy mage", this biases in favor of aggro. In a 4 player free for all, having exactly two winners and two losers doesn't really work.
We've never tried this but I would agree it would definitely encourage aggro and discourage control.

If you're looking for balance, I would say play a game with two teams of even size, or a much larger free for all.
Agreed - We enjoy team-play the most.  Very interesting mage-combos and inter-player collaboration open a whole new aspect to the game.

We are in the process of training a 6th player into our group and looking forward to a 2v2v2 or 3v3 game.  Wish you [Imaginator] and others were close by; I'd like to introduce you to the group and the hex board. I've solicited for others in the San Antonio - Austin corridor but no takers yet  :-\ 

BTW - see the following topic regarding the "hex board" I was referring to.
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14232
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:31:30 PM by ScaredyCat »