May 06, 2024, 01:23:33 PM

Author Topic: Non-spell attack?  (Read 2222 times)

ravenwolf64

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Non-spell attack?
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »
Gurus,
Can someone point me to page in rule book that discusses "non-spell" attacks? Anything besides straight up me lee/ranged attack (bite etc.) or using equipment like Hunting Bow count as non-spell?
Thanks 😀

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Non-spell attack?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
there is melee, ranged, zone(ranged;[mwcard=FWC02]Earth Elemental[/mwcard]), untyped([mwcard=MW1I11]Explode[/mwcard]), and SPELL.

i dont think the whole non-spell category is referenced.

it's hard to help without knowing what you are looking for. have you tired the rules supplement? whenever i have a question i go there first:
http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
If you are not currently casting a spell, the attack is considered a non-spell attack. Essentially, if there is no mana cost (not zero mana cost from discounts) to make an attack, then it is a non-spell attack. I do not believe that there is anything in the rules or codex that explicitly states this.

Note that this includes attacks with equipment such as Galvitar or Hunting Bow once these are already cast. Note also that some familiars do have spell-based attacks, but in general attacks from creatures also fall into the category of being non-spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
if you are referring to weak or agony, they say non-spell attack. using an equipment attack bar is a non-spell attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »
Non-Spell Attack is not a game term, it is plain English and self explanatory. It simply means any attack that is not generated by the active casting of a spell.

So, using an attack granted by an object that is already in play is fine. However, if the attack is generated by the casting of the spell then it is a Spell Attack. Or, if the attack specifically says that it counts as a spell, such as Arcane Zap, then it is a Spell Attack (and has to go through the steps of casting a spell before you go through the attack steps).