May 20, 2024, 04:46:35 AM

Author Topic: About Immunity  (Read 54502 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: About Immunity
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2015, 07:39:53 AM »
The card is broken, and cannot be fixed with other cards to make the repair. ZE + Epic would not change how it works at a basic level. It would make it much more valuable and harder to place. Meaning that it would probably not be placed at the top of the mountain, i.e. FC, and the Wizard would want to defend it now...,

I agree, but don't you think that limiting its placement options would already go a long way towards reducing its effectiveness ?
Now the Wizard can put his Tower anywhere, even in zones where you have a ZE, meaning he's in no rush to bring his tower out in his preferred spot. He can take all his time and bring it out when he's ready for it ... in the perfect spot.

If the tower would be ZE the Wizard would have to compete for a good spot.
Take a Beastmaster for example, playing his Lair and a Totem in FC & NC within the first two/three turns.
Now the centre spots are taken and the Wizard will have to remove one of them first if he wants to have his tower in their place.

Also, making it Epic means indeed he'll have to use actions and mana to defend it because he can't do as you describe below anymore.

... unlike today who's thought process goes like: Pfft, go ahead kill my WT, I will not prepare a spell on it this round during the planning phase, but I will prepare its replacement and stick it in the same spot it was in and cast a spell from it this round all the same. Win/Win for me.

Although I have to say, I'm not sure you can do that.
iirc you have to select and attach a new spell to the tower before removing the previous spell, so you can't have a situation where there's no spell on it. Correct me if wrong, please.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:47:09 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
I have to agree with Wildhorn here. I don't think this problem is urgent but still, maybe these rules should be on the list "fixing when we've got a calm week"

Oh sure, I've already put one interaction inspired by this thread up for potential inclusion on the someday list, and I'll probably do another (related to a card that got cut from its set) when I'm done with this comment.

1) Because if you use a sweeping attack and you roll zero damage on the creature, you are still allowed to attack the second one. You should be able to target the first creature (0 damage) and move on.

Sure, same thing as if you used a defense successfully. You can keep sweeping through Sir Corazin.

But Immunity represents being so unaffected by an attack that it's just stopped cold, unable to proceed.

Again, from a rules perspective, if you make your attack and roll 0 damage, you still remove guard, get Damage Barrier'd, get a counterstrike, etc.

Immunity prevents all that, and it's supposed to. Otherwise you could use Adremelech to remove two guard markers from two guarding Hellions.

But more importantly, this isn't a rules debate anymore; the rule is clear. We don't agree about how well the rule represents the effects of swinging a scythe of flame at a magically and intrinsically fireproof Demon, but that's because we have different mental images of what Immunity is. But the rule is still completely *playable*.

My mental image, is that if the Imp is immune to the attack, it shouldn't be hurt or affected in any way. It should be as if the attack never happened. In the case of sweeping, that means the Imp stood there like Superman and said, "Not Today Satan!" That Imp was so unmoved that the swinging  Scythe wasn't even an attack. That Imp didn't shift from its guard posture, and Adremelech did not get to continue his strike because that would mean getting his scythe past this still guarding, still immune Imp. And that would be impossible.

We're dealing with something called Procedural Representation: the act of playing the game, rule by rule, movement by movement, to represent something. Checkers would procedurally represent frog combat very well, with all the jumping, for example.

And Sweeping is already a little iffy here. Why does the Sweeping attacker get to chose the second target? What if they're not lined up right? Why does Sweeping still work if the attack is absorbed by a Forcefield, or a Dwarf's Shield? For that matter, why do we use the same mechanic for blocking with a shield as we do for dodging out of the way or parrying with a sword? All of those could potentially interact with Sweeping differently.

If the complaint is that the rules interaction between Immunity and Sweeping isn't a perfect representation, well, you're right. Sweeping is like that. It's abstracted, just like every other rule in the game, but maybe Sweeping is a little more abstract than some others. (How large is a zone?) Sweeping could possibly include rules about the size of the creatures swept through, so that Adremelech could sweep through 6 Falcons but only 2 Knights of Westlock. And there could be positioning rules to determine which creatures are standing such that an arcing attack can hit them both. And maybe sweeping should interact with Piercing in some way. And there could be another rule about Immune Guards not losing their guard marker but not preventing the next attack, etc etc.

But this isn't a rules problem the same way that e.g. a literal reading of Hindering was. It used to be that Hindered was a condition that happened to you after you moved, and Hindered creatures could not move. But Zombies have Lumbering, which means they're always hindered. A literal reading of the rules meant that Zombies could never move. That's a rules problem!

This is just a difference of opinion on how two rules should interact, but neither option breaks the game. It's a *design* argument.

2) Better to fix the rules a bit than to make an exception for everything in the future.
Yep. If I had to guess, I'd say that all guard mechanics will eventually get a slight tweak. But figuring that out means sitting down with designers and playtesters and looking at known corner cases, unprinted cards, future plans, design concerns, unintended consiquences, etc. It's a process, and it isn't free.

3) no offence, but that's kinda a stupid argument... You should be able to cast a circle of fire around your flaming Hellion because I'd want my opponent to be afraid of attacking him. Circle of fire is also less sbp than Circle of lightning AND you can get extra burns out of it which the adramelech warlock loves.

I find that when I'm making an argument that starts with, "No offense but that's dumb," I'm better off just skipping the insult and going right to the part where I explain why that's dumb. People get less offended that way.

In this case, I totally get that you *want* to be able to do those things. But that's not a reason you can or should have that ability. I *want* Teleport to fail on Rooted creatures and Devouring Jelly's corrode damage against an unarmored creature to trigger the Jelly's reconstruction ability. Heck, putting a Circle of Fire on Adremelech would be pretty hot! But that isn't a reason for allowing it.

Right now, Immunity is a double edged sword. It would be more powerful and flexible if it didn't prevent buffs. So?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:11:09 AM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »

I have to agree with Wildhorn here. I don't think this problem is urgent but still, maybe these rules should be on the list "fixing when we've got a calm week"

Oh sure, I've already put one interaction inspired by this thread up for potential inclusion on the someday list, and I'll probably do another (related to a card that got cut from its set) when I'm done with this comment.

1) Because if you use a sweeping attack and you roll zero damage on the creature, you are still allowed to attack the second one. You should be able to target the first creature (0 damage) and move on.

Sure, same thing as if you used a defense successfully. You can keep sweeping through Sir Corazin.

But Immunity represents being so unaffected by an attack that it's just stopped cold, unable to proceed.

Again, from a rules perspective, if you make your attack and roll 0 damage, you still remove guard, get Damage Barrier'd, get a counterstrike, etc.

Immunity prevents all that, and it's supposed to. Otherwise you could use Adremelech to remove two guard markers from two guarding Hellions.

But more importantly, this isn't a rules debate anymore; the rule is clear. We don't agree about how well the rule represents the effects of swinging a scythe of flame at a magically and intrinsically fireproof Demon, but that's because we have different mental images of what Immunity is. But the rule is still completely *playable*.

My mental image, is that if the Imp is immune to the attack, it shouldn't be hurt or affected in any way. It should be as if the attack never happened. In the case of sweeping, that means the Imp stood there like Superman and said, "Not Today Satan!" That Imp was so unmoved that the swinging  Scythe wasn't even an attack. That Imp didn't shift from its guard posture, and Adremelech did not get to continue his strike because that would mean getting his scythe past this still guarding, still immune Imp. And that would be impossible.

We're dealing with something called Procedural Representation: the act of playing the game, rule by rule, movement by movement, to represent something. Checkers would procedurally represent frog combat very well, with all the jumping, for example.

And Sweeping is already a little iffy here. Why does the Sweeping attacker get to chose the second target? What if they're not lined up right? Why does Sweeping still work if the attack is absorbed by a Forcefield, or a Dwarf's Shield? For that matter, why do we use the same mechanic for blocking with a shield as we do for dodging out of the way or parrying with a sword? All of those could potentially interact with Sweeping differently.

If the complaint is that the rules interaction between Immunity and Sweeping isn't a perfect representation, well, you're right. Sweeping is like that. It's abstracted, just like every other rule in the game, but maybe Sweeping is a little more abstract than some others. (How large is a zone?) Sweeping could possibly include rules about the size of the creatures swept through, so that Adremelech could sweep through 6 Falcons but only 2 Knights of Westlock. And there could be positioning rules to determine which creatures are standing such that an arcing attack can hit them both. And maybe sweeping should interact with Piercing in some way. And there could be another rule about Immune Guards not losing their guard marker but not preventing the next attack, etc etc.

But this isn't a rules problem the same way that e.g. a literal reading of Hindering was. It used to be that Hindered was a condition that happened to you after you moved, and Hindered creatures could not move. But Zombies have Lumbering, which means they're always hindered. A literal reading of the rules meant that Zombies could never move. That's a rules problem!

This is just a difference of opinion on how two rules should interact, but neither option breaks the game. It's a *design* argument.

2) Better to fix the rules a bit than to make an exception for everything in the future.
Yep. If I had to guess, I'd say that all guard mechanics will eventually get a slight tweak. But figuring that out means sitting down with designers and playtesters and looking at known corner cases, unprinted cards, future plans, design concerns, unintended consiquences, etc. It's a process, and it isn't free.

3) no offence, but that's kinda a stupid argument... You should be able to cast a circle of fire around your flaming Hellion because I'd want my opponent to be afraid of attacking him. Circle of fire is also less sbp than Circle of lightning AND you can get extra burns out of it which the adramelech warlock loves.

I find that when I'm making an argument that starts with, "No offense but that's dumb," I'm better off just skipping the insult and going right to the part where I explain why that's dumb. People get less offended that way.

In this case, I totally get that you *want* to be able to do those things. But that's not a reason you can or should have that ability. I *want* Teleport to fail on Rooted creatures and Devouring Jelly's corrode damage against an unarmored creature to trigger the Jelly's reconstruction ability. Heck, putting a Circle of Fire on Adremelech would be pretty hot! But that isn't a reason for allowing it.

Right now, Immunity is a double edged sword. It would be more powerful and flexible if it didn't prevent buffs. So?

Hmm. So if it did not prevent buffs then immunity would be more powerful, but the fact that it does prevent them seems to make no sense at all thematically.

Now, how to resolve this discrepancy in the simplest and most balanced way possible without breaking anything...? Wow that sure is a conundrum.

The immunity rules have had this problem for a long time, unnoticed.

Hmm maybe we could have it be thematically similar to how you can't have more than one copy of the same object attached to the same object or zone? But it might be difficult to make that kind of explanation work without feeling forced in this case.

Okay, need to keep this simple.

You can't enchant Lord of Fire with Circle of Fire because...

*He's already as fiery as can be, and adding more fire cannot make him any more fiery than he already is?

*adding flame to flame does not make more flame without more fuel? Adramelech already has fire, and enchanting him with circle of fire is like trying to light a fire on fire instead of adding more firewood.

Any other ideas?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »
To me the whole "cannot target" rule is so counterintuitive and ridiculous, I will just ignore it...
This is how we have always undrstood immunity:

Immunity = ignores damage.

How simple is that?? We have NEVER run into problems or balancing issues using this interpretation.

Never!

NEVER EVER!

The way we play, you can set the lord of fire on fire and stack a hundred fire tokens on him. During upkeep, you roll to see if they go away, but the lord of fire takes no damage if the burns roll damage.
You can move these burns to anther creature with your warlock or use them to teleport your[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]Wildfire Imp[/mwcard]s, but firelord doesnt even notice the burns.

Never had balancing issues! Ever! (Wouldn't that be the simplest solution?? ;-D Just saying...)

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
I'm curious whether this was a conscious decision by Arcane Wonders to make it so that you can't buff an immune thing with the thing it's immune to, or whether it was simply an oversight that has just been with us too long to easily fix. It seems like it should be possible to balance circle of fire on LoF, but right now it seems like it might be a little too much. I might be wrong though.

@gogolski
This sounds more like a fact about your local metagame than about the game in general.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
You own the cards; you can play with your toys however you want. But future set releases will be designed according to the official rules, and may not be compatible with changes you choose to make. Then again, if you've gotten this far without playing Plagued on the Necro and wondering if maybe this isn't a little too good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You do you.

--

I'm guessing that the people who object to this rule never played Magic the Gathering? It has a very similar rule: Protection. "Protection from White" e.g. means you can't damage, enchant, block, or target the protected creature with a white card. This, hilariously, became a problem early on when there was a white enchantment that granted protection from white (there was one for each color, if I remember correctly). They had to issue an exception errata so that the spell didn't destroy itself.

I'm not sure why people are so insistent that Immunity shouldn't prevent buffs. It says right in the Codex what Immunity does. Is it the name? Would it have been better to call it Warded from Fire?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
@ ringkichard

Maybe it would have. Now that I think of it, this means that Lord of Fire can't attack himself So if he uses his sweeping attack and the second target is DI'ds out of the zone, he can't make the second strike at ALL, not even against himself. Does he just decide not to try to hit himself because he knows it won't work? But if the only reason it doesn't work is because he's not able to even try to hit himself...

This is totally counterintuitive and doesn't make sense. Even if you called it "warded against fire", the fact remains that immunity doesn't just make a creature immune to an attack, it prevents the attacker from even attempting to initiate the attack in the first place. So enemy creatures with a flame attack will just mysteriously decide to leave him alone for no apparent reason. Maybe he has an oppressive fiery aura or something that makes them afraid to attack him? But this seems to go more into mental manipulation or fear effects, and that's something totally different from fire.

Short of the rule being enforced artificially by laws and judges in Etheria, (like "Diplomatic immunity" or something) there is absolutely no sufficient thematic explanation. It is a gaping hole in the story of the game.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
Two important points.

1). This is a discussion of immunity. If you wish to have a discussion about the Wizard's Tower or any other card or issue, then please do so in a different thread.

2). We delved into issues of immunity when Druid Vs. Necro was being made, and we brought up all of these very arguments. Now, I say this just so you're aware that none of these decisions were made lightly, and all of them had fervent debate. None of this is meant to squelch the conversation here.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
You own the cards; you can play with your toys however you want. But future set releases will be designed according to the official rules, and may not be compatible with changes you choose to make. Then again, if you've gotten this far without playing Plagued on the Necro and wondering if maybe this isn't a little too good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You do you.

--

I'm guessing that the people who object to this rule never played Magic the Gathering? It has a very similar rule: Protection. "Protection from White" e.g. means you can't damage, enchant, block, or target the protected creature with a white card. This, hilariously, became a problem early on when there was a white enchantment that granted protection from white (there was one for each color, if I remember correctly). They had to issue an exception errata so that the spell didn't destroy itself.

I'm not sure why people are so insistent that Immunity shouldn't prevent buffs. It says right in the Codex what Immunity does. Is it the name? Would it have been better to call it Warded from Fire?

Problem still remains with intercept and immunty... currently the only immune intercept creatue is togorath and since hydro is changed because of extinguish he is still able to grab that surging wave.

But if there ever is a way to grant intercept  trait to a creature, then the hellion will not be able to soak up that fireball despite he should be the best candidate to do it.

And while rulewise the fireball is targetting the interceptor, thematically its not. Rather the interceptor is getting in the way taking a bullet for its master.

So can no more immune interceptors be released because of this problem?
Then i rather see this fixed.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
Short of the rule being enforced artificially by laws and judges in Etheria, (like "Diplomatic immunity" or something) there is absolutely no sufficient thematic explanation. It is a gaping hole in the story of the game.
This gets even more abstract when You remember that fights in the arena are happening in real time. If You have one firebrand imp guarding yourself and I've two of them then I should be able to lock your guard with one of my imps while other runs at You. Current rules prevent such thing even if I'd have 6 firebrand imps and Adramalech.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »
depends: Imagine there is this imp standing in front of you any fire passing is absorbed by him so nothing happening, that fire immunity is protecting you. It can only be resolved with a push or others, i doesn't find it so unlogical.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
@ringkichard: In another thread I once did the calculation of a zone dimension based on the different range attack weapons. If I remember it was something around 250 meters.

And for Adry's Sweeping, his scythe is made of fire, so yeah it doesnt affect the imp, but it still go throu it and keep swinging to the other creature. But yeah, Sweeping is very abstract.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:21:03 PM by Wildhorn »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »
depends: Imagine there is this imp standing in front of you any fire passing is absorbed by him so nothing happening, that fire immunity is protecting you. It can only be resolved with a push or others, i doesn't find it so unlogical.
But it still can't be resolved by sheer numbers, which is illogical.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
And for Adry's Sweeping, his scythe is made of fire, so yeah it doesnt affect the imp, but it still go throu it and keep swinging to the other creature. But yeah, Sweeping is very abstract.

the sweeping is stopped and extincted by the imp, the second creatures only feels a slight smell of smoke.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2015, 12:46:48 AM »
I like Ringkichards point around the rules being clear but needing a conceptual understanding of why it is like it is. 

I don't quite understand the angst myself, I can see some of the points, but I can also see some explanations for how the rules as written make sense.  In my head I was thinking of some of the cartoon/movies where someone is so advanced/immune to an attack that they're just oblivious to it - they aren't dodging or evading, they're totally oblivious, doing their own thing, nothing changes for them as a result of being attacked - in essence they're immune.  On the other hand the attacker furiously throws everything at them to the point they're stumbling and tripping up on themselves and can't understand why they're being ineffectual.  Its a little of a social constructionist argument, but a table is only a table with our socially agreed cultural reference, to a cat or dog, its a perfectly good shelter or hunting platform.  A road is only a convenient transport path if you know it goes where you want it to (the seldom look direct even if you could see them from the air).

Anyway, the point I was trying to make it that from an immune perspective, your attack or spell doesnt have the magical relevance to work at all, to the point you can't target me.  Implementing or starting and action that comes up against immunity contains an element of surprise that negates the attack or momentum for the other creature.