May 15, 2024, 02:32:00 PM

Author Topic: Slam Token  (Read 4484 times)

willyv

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Slam Token
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
The "SLAM" token says 'Incapacitated. Replace with Daze when activated.' Now according to the rules as I read them, I activate a creature, then I do stuff...move, attack, whatever. Does the Slam token flip to Daze before I do their actual action? Seems that it was designed to not flip until end of turn, but it reads that as soon as I activate it flips putting them into the Daze condition.  The Daze token reads ..blah blah..Remove "after" acting. So does it not become daze until after they do their thing or does it as soon as they are activated.  Kind of a rule lawyer question but it is does question timing where it seems that the designers did everything they could to not make this an issue in this game, which I really like

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Re: Slam Token
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
As soon as it acts, it is dazed.  remove daze after its action.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Hid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:38:29 AM »
Quote from: "willyv" post=8515
Does the Slam token flip to Daze before I do their actual action?Seems that it was designed to not flip until end of turn, but it reads that as soon as I activate it flips putting them into the Daze condition.  The Daze token reads ..blah blah..Remove "after" acting. So does it not become daze until after they do their thing or does it as soon as they are activated.

You seem to imagine it was designed being like stun, but stronger. Well, it is weaker than stun.

Imagine a flying creature being slamed to the ground and it isn't stuned. It gets up right away and acts, but is dazed while doing it.

Until you activate the creature, it is incapacitated (looses flying, defense, counterstrike, all that nasty stuff). The end of turn doesn't affect this condition. If a creature is slamed after it has acted this turn, it will have the slam token (will be incapacitated) until it activates the next turn.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:03:18 AM »
I think of it as halfway between a daze and a stun. You get all of the benefits of a stun up until they act, but only the effect of a daze during their activation.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »
The Slam was designed to represent a momentary knockdown to the ground, which is less than a full Stun.  

Since it is replaced with Daze at the beginning of that creature's action phase, it will not keep them from acting. However, it is still very useful, as mentioned above, for removing Defenses, Flying, or a Guard marker.

gos_jim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
I think this is something that should go in the FAQ, because if that is the case (Slam = weaker Stun) then everyone at the Forcemaster vs Warlord event in Pittsburgh today was playing this incorrectly.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
Really?!  So how were they playing it?

Were they playing it as a super-powerful Stun which incapacitates them for a full round + Dazes them on the next round?  

What about the part that says "Remove Slam when this creature is activated."?!

I will add this to the FAQ upon your recommendation.  Please tell me more about what was missed.  Thanks!

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
That is it.

We took it as the creature had to act to shake the slam to a daze and essentially skip a turn.

We were all pumped because slam was so good.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
Ha!  Sorry guys!  That would be really good!  A STUN which then becomes a Daze!

It's actually priced in our formulas fairly inexpensively because it has limited, specialized use.

It was designed to just be a simple knock down to the ground, and then the creature stands back up again (when it goes to act next round).  However, during that brief time it is knocked down, it loses Flying, Defenses, and Guarding (because it is incapacitated).

I'm sorry for the confusion,  This is in our FAQ now.  Thanks for the report.

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
At least we were all wrong. Haha

This weekend did clarify a few rules for us. And I think Patrick only had to call the higher powers once.

It was a fun weekend!

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:15:47 PM »
Glad everyone enjoyed it.  Was there a final winner?

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 11:20:06 PM »
Yes sir.

My cousin, Joe, went 4-0 as a Forcemaster. He isn't an active user on the forums.