May 05, 2024, 09:00:50 PM

Author Topic: First play with the Priest  (Read 7501 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: First play with the Priest
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »
Welcome to the priesthood! You had 2 guardian angels. Did you enchant them, or buff yourself?
Did you get a chance to try eye for an eye? It can rip through brutes.
Besides the ring thing with the rule, I really enjoyed your writeup!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
Welcome to the priesthood! You had 2 guardian angels. Did you enchant them, or buff yourself?
Did you get a chance to try eye for an eye? It can rip through brutes.
Besides the ring thing with the rule, I really enjoyed your writeup!

I had both of them buffed with a couple different things, and had Enchantment Transfusion on both. No, I did not get eye for an eye out. I did have Holy Avenger token on one of them with Bear Strength and Rhino Hide, so she was going to be something nasty to deal with. I had Mongoose Agility - and that healing enchantment that heals 4 dice when revealed on the second guardian angel. With flying, a defense, the ability to regenerate (when guarding), combined with Holy Avenger- after pretty much everything he had being dazed and/or stunned, he conceded. I think I had him down to about 10 health remaining- of course, that's me rolling a total of 4 extra dice I shouldn't have over the course of 2 turns. So, not sure if those 4 dice were a game changer or not.

I was initially worried about mana with the Priest, but round one I played Mana Crystal and that holy cleric that can use a full action to channel one mana. Turn 2 I had Moonglow amulet, so effectively, I was channeling 12 mana every turn (with the cleric's action). Mana was not an issue for me this game- two 12 mana creatures and a bunch of enchantments- I had a decent mana reserve.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 06:55:22 PM »
Welcome to the community nice to see you trying to spread the word out! The priest defiantly got better after academy and PvS! I can see where there was a confusing the codex is big and takes some experience to get it all down. I played a priestess yesterday and she was pretty good with some new cards. Future advice idk how affective the mana build up would be against a good rush maybe just the mana crystal or amulet and not both?

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 06:09:46 AM »
I'm gonna chime in on Ranged+X and zone attack; I've corrected 4 players making the same assumption. Its a super common mistake for newer/newish players, even with experience in other games.

MageWars rules can be a little "crunchy" at times, but they are pretty well assembled for the scope and complexity of this game. In the end they work out real well, are pretty balanced, and correctly represent fairly difficult concepts and ideas about strange fantasy creatures and magic.

Also, props on requesting a rematch before claiming the "won with every mage" championship belt. Your commitment to gaming excellence is quite commendable.
Siren is so cool