May 12, 2024, 07:21:49 PM

Author Topic: Gurmash, Orc Sergeant  (Read 11871 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Gurmash, Orc Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

Ooooh, I am sorry but the #1 answer was "All of the Above."

BIG for the steal!   8)

Yeah give him Charge and a Battle Fury and see what he can wreck.....

Everything :P

Everything already includes all of the above. It also includes all of the below, and every other answer that isn't listed. It also includes every question, the vastness of space and time, and even nothing! For that matter it includes every paradox. You really think you can steal all that? Perhaps you're the most successful thief in the entire Universe, but as for me, I know my limits are quite a bit lower than that...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Gurmash is good to buff ranged units and to defend them. With the bowmen, they make a fantastic combo.

Yeah I want to try using more ranged; I usually only end up a 1-2 slingers and a bowman on average.  The only problem with range heavy focus is if someone goes heavy on the melee early..

When do you usually get him out?  after 2+ ranged?

That's why xbowmen are good. They are efficient at both ranged and melee. Get him out after the first xbowman. That way you can protect him and buff him with the right command.

Shifthappens

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
with all the people here saying its hard to find a time where gurmash is worth it, is the same true for the imp familiar? I've seen almost no one yet talk about the new warlock on the forum

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
I can immediately see uses for the Imp Familiar, and Ring of Curses works fantastically with him. That gives you nice control options and reasonable damage options.

The Orc Sergeant seems harder to use effectively because there isn't a discount ring that works with him on a ton of spells you would want him to cast, and the range of attractive options is more limited. The main options that seem decent are Defend, Standard Bearer, and Fortified Position (and I don't really like Standard Bearer or Fortified Position in many lines of play). Well, and maybe Battle Orders. The thing is that you don't really want to cast Battle Fury or Flank Attack on a creature until right before it attacks. Same with Charge, Perfect Strike, Piercing Strike, Power Strike... Running into a Tanglevine or other control spell after already casting a command on a creature is just horrible. So while I think Gurmash can be useful, it will take a lot more thought to get him to pull his weight. You can basically cast whatever curse enchantment you want with Sesyrix, and it works great.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
I can immediately see uses for the Imp Familiar, and Ring of Curses works fantastically with him. That gives you nice control options and reasonable damage options.

The Orc Sergeant seems harder to use effectively because there isn't a discount ring that works with him on a ton of spells you would want him to cast, and the range of attractive options is more limited. The main options that seem decent are Defend, Standard Bearer, and Fortified Position (and I don't really like Standard Bearer or Fortified Position in many lines of play). Well, and maybe Battle Orders. The thing is that you don't really want to cast Battle Fury or Flank Attack on a creature until right before it attacks. Same with Charge, Perfect Strike, Piercing Strike, Power Strike... Running into a Tanglevine or other control spell after already casting a command on a creature is just horrible. So while I think Gurmash can be useful, it will take a lot more thought to get him to pull his weight. You can basically cast whatever curse enchantment you want with Sesyrix, and it works great.

Brace yourself seems pretty good too.  I pretty much agree with all of this, though.  I've seen sersyrix be played well, even by a novice player.  I've been playing for more than 2 years now and I'm struggling to get Gurmash to fit into a strat.  My point isn't that I'm "omg so gud" but I think it's pretty obvious one has more immediate strategic value than the other.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
Right, I forgot about Brace Yourself.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »

In general, I assumed that rings only worked when a mage cast a spell, not a familiar?

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »

In general, I assumed that rings only worked when a mage cast a spell, not a familiar?

imp casts the curse face down. warlock reveals the curse and gets the ring discount.  its always the mage who reveals the enchantment

and ring of curses only gives the discount while revealing the curse.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »
Gurmash is good to buff ranged units and to defend them. With the bowmen, they make a fantastic combo.

Totally agree. He stands in a nest of snipers, slingers and crossbows, yelling battle commands, but ready to lay in if anyone gets too close.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
i´ve used Gurmash when i play my warlord building with forge, when my warlord have 3 equipments i summon gurshmash and he buffing my warlord with battle fury, it´s amazing.