May 16, 2024, 07:39:12 AM

Author Topic: Mage Cast 11  (Read 2875 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Mage Cast 11
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
After much delay (woo! travel!)

Mage Cast 11 is here

Please join in the discussion below!
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Cast 11
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
Yippie!
I'm trying to do the same thing sharks done with Trogdor with paladin and while it's proving tough, Ive learned a lot!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
Another awesome episode!

Personally ive been trying to play more different mages, and not only play Druid, Necro and before that Wizard.

And im learning a lot, im not a playtester and theres a ton of new stuff which i really want to try out. Warlock Academy, Priestess Academy, Paladin vs Siren and Lost Grimore.

But i might regret doing that as i only play ~20 games/month, and that means i only get practice with my tourney book/books a few times each month.

Some of the new things you can do really amazes me :)

Nothing wrong with lots of the old stuff either.

Keep up the good work!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »
Very interesting. I've technically been working on my Straywood for longer but I've not played him on as large a scale outside Charlotte much as you've played your Warlock obviously. I may just need to enter Gen Con one year myself and retire me a few legends 8)

I can not agree more with the importance of just making a spell book and hammering away at it over and over again. Lose then ask your opponent for advice, literally everyone gets better when even one of us gets better. Your remarks about theory being no substitute for actual battle are spot on. Mike Tyson himself said "Everybodies got a plan, til they get punched in the mouth." With that in mind get your face bloody.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:29:48 PM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
If you really want you can set it off with a drain soul, but I don't think it is necessary. 95% of the times if you get to 27 you already lost. The extra 6 life is rarely going to make the difference

I don't agree with this because once your mage only has a certain amount of life left, many players will change gear and try to finish the job. At the start of the game your opponent will very often cast long term investments like creatures, conjuration, equipment and enchantments. Other than that, they will deal with some of the things you throw at them (creatures, ...)

Once they think they can seal the deal, they will very often start being very agressive and mostly disregard the other things you have to threaten them. If for example you would do this if the opponent has 10 life left, this would already happen at 17 damage instead of 23 damage.

So in that regard, losing the 6 life really matters.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:11 AM »
Thank you for this episode Guys!

Nice to hear Zuberi :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »
for our mw weekends here, I am thinking about installing sprinkler system to put out all the burninating.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
If you really want you can set it off with a drain soul, but I don't think it is necessary. 95% of the times if you get to 27 you already lost. The extra 6 life is rarely going to make the difference

I don't agree with this because once your mage only has a certain amount of life left, many players will change gear and try to finish the job. At the start of the game your opponent will very often cast long term investments like creatures, conjuration, equipment and enchantments. Other than that, they will deal with some of the things you throw at them (creatures, ...)

Once they think they can seal the deal, they will very often start being very agressive and mostly disregard the other things you have to threaten them. If for example you would do this if the opponent has 10 life left, this would already happen at 17 damage instead of 23 damage.

So in that regard, losing the 6 life really matters.

For what it's worth, from my perspective, that's not a huge adjustment. I generally find that damage doesn't usually accrue in small amounts over a long time, it's usually a spike. So the attitude change from being aggressive to finish a person off and dealing with the other threats isn't really a "threshold" that 6 life changes all that much. It's much more a factor of the board state and how easy it would be to apply the finishing blow as opposed to just being down to 10 life left. In light of that, the plan is to be back from the fight in a more fire support role than a melee tank, so in theory they'll either deal with the threats beating them in the face or they'll lose. If they want to rush the mage and turn it into a damage race, this book in particular is suited to winning those. Granted, plan and theory are much easier said than done.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire