May 15, 2024, 12:25:35 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers  (Read 49370 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
I have to admit I'm surprised by all the additions to Academy that didn't previously exist in Arena.  When I heard what the design goal of Academy was, I expected a lot fewer keywords, simpler cards (e.g. less card text; more cards with symbols only), less multi-card combinations and interactions (like what we see on Steelclaw Matriarch and Slavorg), etc.  While there certainly are fewer keywords and conditions, there are many I didn't expect to see (e.g. Dissipate, Elusive, Pest, Aegis, Defenses, Legendary, Unique, Epic) and even even some new ones (e.g. Stagger, which is a little like Daze and Stun but different; a new "breeches" equipment slot). 

Even the complexity of card text and card abilities is higher than some Arena analogues.  Iguana Regrowth, Wolf Fury and Gator Toughness are all more complicated than their Arena counterparts, generally combining the straightforward Regrowth, Bear Strength and Rhino Hide with Bull Endurance.  Similarly, Crumble is like a combination of Dissolve and Meditation Amulet.  I expected, and wouldn't have minded, reprints of simple "staple" cards like Bear Strength, Rhino Hide, Regrowth, Dissolve, Dispel, Seeking Dispel, Minor Heal, Block, Nullify, and many of the "Novice" spells like Leather Gloves, Leather Boots, several Incantations, etc.  Or simply weaker versions, like Whatever +1 instead of Whatever +2 (for Bear Strength, Rhino Hide, Regrowth, etc).  But instead we often get new cards with Whatever +1 AND another benefit.  That's great... but certainly not simpler.

In addition, and seemingly more complex than similar Arena cards, we have Azurean Genie, who puts the benefits of Hand of Bim-Shallah (but better, at the cost of his action and range-restricted) on a creature ... except he's even more flexible in some ways since he can Stagger an opposing creature if he doesn't have a friendly nearby! Slavorg is the first non-Incantation card (e.g. besides Resurrection/Animate Dead) that cares about your discard pile, plus he has a built-in Defend effect.  And for compatibility with both Arena and Academy, many cards have different/additional effects depending on creature level (including defining Major and Minor creatures) or mage level (something that used to be a single-valued constant), which adds a lot to the card text (e.g. lots of spoiled cards with 3+ lines of text). 

Overall, while Academy might have more streamlined and quicker game play than Arena, I wouldn't say it's much less complex.  It forgoes conjurations, the deployment phase and the planning phase, but the cards require just as much (if not more) reading, and there are lots of combos to build around.  I'm excited for this product, both as an expansion to Arena and as its own standalone game (that I might play with people who aren't interested in long Mage Wars matches - e.g. my spouse) but I'm not sure it will appeal to the desired target audience that it was originally designed for - e.g. new players who were intimidated by the complexity of Arena.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:28:26 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »
It looks to me like an easy to learn, hard to master kind of expansion/game/thing. The gameplay mechanics are simplified so you're fighting the turn order/arena/movement less and can concentrate on what the cards do instead. Movement around the arena and keeping track of all the phases is a pretty big part of Arena.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it would feel like mage wars if the cards themselves were less complex. I also feel that The keywords are fairly intuitive. We'll see how it pans out, I guess. I'm actually really excited for it, but I also note that I'm not the target audience.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
I have to admit I'm surprised by all the additions to Academy that didn't previously exist in Arena.  When I heard what the design goal of Academy was, I expected a lot fewer keywords, simpler cards (e.g. less card text; more cards with symbols only), less multi-card combinations and interactions (like what we see on Steelclaw Matriarch and Slavorg), etc.  While there certainly are fewer keywords and conditions, there are many I didn't expect to see (e.g. Dissipate, Elusive, Pest, Aegis, Defenses, Legendary, Unique, Epic) and even even some new ones (e.g. Stagger, which is a little like Daze and Stun but different; a new "breeches" equipment slot). 

I agree that it doesn't feel as simplified as I expected. Time and sales will tell whether the design goals were met.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
i see it that way: most of Arena fans will buy it to at least get the cards(so it's good for Arcane Wonders). Once it is bought it can be presented to people that don't know Mage Wars or it was to big to start for them (chance to get more people in to Academy and/or Arena).  While it is shorter and portable version then Arena it will fill up some space that Arena rather can't do, so after all it's good move. If i only have occasion to play i will open Domination or Arena mode, but in some cases Academy will be better/only option :)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 11:42:07 PM »
I have to admit I'm surprised by all the additions to Academy that didn't previously exist in Arena.  When I heard what the design goal of Academy was, I expected a lot fewer keywords, simpler cards (e.g. less card text; more cards with symbols only), less multi-card combinations and interactions (like what we see on Steelclaw Matriarch and Slavorg), etc.

I actually expected something like this. Even though the cards aren't much simpler, I expect the game will be. The  spells itself can be confusing sometimes, but you can learn the meaning by just asking it.

Overall, while Academy might have more streamlined and quicker game play than Arena, I wouldn't say it's much less complex.  It forgoes conjurations, the deployment phase and the planning phase, but the cards require just as much (if not more) reading, and there are lots of combos to build around.

One of the hardest things to master in Arena is positioning. When an experienced player is playing a game with a new guy, it can be extremely frustrating for them not being able to hit the enemy. (After which they won't want to play MW again.) Everybody can count mana and deploy an appropriate creature at the right time. And without (sometimes way too long) planning phases, games will be much faster.  :)

Even for Arena fans the game can be much fun if you just want a quick game before going to bed.
I believe that in Academy new players can have a relatively good match with a frequent player.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:04 AM »
Played Academy last night. Super fun way to play Mage Wars.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
Spellwise this "expansion" is much more appealing to me than  domination. What  I have seen so far is perfect. On top you get a mage wars version that can be played in 20-30 minutes. What could one wish more for? That expansion exceeds so far my expectations - and by the way those have been quite high. So congratulations to the whole Arcane Wonders team including the playtesters. Great work!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
On the Facebook page today, we have:

- "Rajah, Jungle's Talons" (sp?): 11 mana, legendary cat with Elusive, 1 armor, 11 life, 4 attack, piercing +1? (hard to read)

- "Packleader's Cowl": 3 mana, equipment takes up both helm and cloak slots, +1 armor, once per round during the mage's activation, lets you spend mana equal to Minor creature's level to give it a guard marker.  Doesn't take up an action.

- "Kajarah": 3 mana boomerang-like weapon with a quick action attack (presumably ranged ** Fingers are crossed because this is what the Johktari BM really needs**); also has an ability that triggers if a friendly animal creature takes damage (although much of the text is covered up in the photo).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:06:09 PM by iNano78 »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
I like the Packmaster's Cowl. It should work well with the Johktari Hunting Knife, and it makes Pet Timber Wolves stronger.

Rajah looks like a solid creature. Built in elusive is always nice. I just wish that video had audio instead of a high pitched whining noise.

I wonder what the Kajarah is.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
I like the Packmaster's Cowl. It should work well with the Johktari Hunting Knife, and it makes Pet Timber Wolves stronger.

Rajah looks like a solid creature. Built in elusive is always nice. I just wish that video had audio instead of a high pitched whining noise.

I wonder what the Kajarah is.

Semi-confirmation on FB that Kajarah has a quick-action ranged attack.  But the mana cost of 3 is so low... probably only 2 attack dice or something.  Or considering there are (at least) 2 of them in the photo, I wonder if it has Dissipate - like you can use it a few turns, like a returning boomerang, but eventually you lose it (?).  Or perhaps you can only use it if the conditions in the text are met (which looks like "If a friendly animal ... damaged the target ... gains ..."  Pure speculation at this point.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:19:19 PM by iNano78 »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 12:15:38 AM »
Hey guys! Hoping to get some academy spoiler videos released after gen con!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:48 AM »
Are the rules release yet? If not, that is the next spoiler I would like to see.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
I'm comparing Wychwood Fearie with Tataree.
They basically have the same special ability (giving mana to its owner), same health, same attack, almost the same defence (favour for Tataree), same armor, both are Pest.
For just two more mana Tataree gets both flying and is Quick summoned. Seems quite good to me. Am I missing something?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
Since there is a shit tons of level 1 cards in academy, while all they come in 6 copies?

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
From what have been said so far I think card count for level 1 will be 3. Compare with the max. strength for steelclaw matriach with her cubs.