May 02, 2024, 02:32:15 PM

Author Topic: Strategy for dealing with Guardian Angels  (Read 4665 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Strategy for dealing with Guardian Angels
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
I'm needing some assistance. My buddy typically plays Priestess (which is getting kind of tiresome). I've defeated him with Warlock and Forcemaster, though is play is improving drastically. We've had several draws due to time running out. Against my wizard, I have one loss and one draw. I'm really struggling to take on his Priestess with wizard. His primary strategy is to hide behind Guardian Angels. Once those are out I'm usually trying to deal with those while he continues to build up his holy army. Ideas?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy for dealing with Guardian Angels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
Pick your poison:

Teleport his Priestess into a Spiked Pit and hit him with a Hydra a billion times?

Keep him Jinxed or Tanglevined with an Astral Anchor?

Whirling Spirit through a Wall of Thorns?

Run a Deathlock?

Use the lightning Ring, Hawkeye, Marked for Death, Enchantment Transfusion and Arc Lightning on the angels.

Combine some/all?

Not sure what's going to fit your cardpool or playstyle.  What's the biggest trouble you have with Guardian Angel and what's your book's kill method?

Edit: Also, I've found that Tanglevine on the Guardian Angel is very helpful as it takes several actions or a precious teleport to free her.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:27:45 PM by Puddnhead »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
Does hiding behind mean in 1 zone? Then [mwcard=MWBG1A04]Sandstorm[/mwcard] could be useful. Especially with an arena wall in their back. That would be 5 dice per angel + good chance on daze. You could perhaps break free the Mage as well by pushing towards you and away from the Angels .

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »
Tanglevine and then ignore or kill them has worked for me.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »
Tanglevine is easily one of my favorite things to handle them.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:22 AM »
Does hiding behind mean in 1 zone? Then [mwcard=MWBG1A04]Sandstorm[/mwcard] could be useful. Especially with an arena wall in their back. That would be 5 dice per angel + good chance on daze. You could perhaps break free the Mage as well by pushing towards you and away from the Angels .

Yep, that's exactly what he does. Sandstorm is a great idea. Don't know why Tanglevine escaped my mind.
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
Don't know why Tanglevine escaped my mind.

Probably because Tanglevine can't target Flying creatures, but a creature loses Flying when Guarding, which makes it susceptible to being targeted by Tanglevine. Then once Tanglevine is attached to the (Guarding) Guardian Angel, it then can't regain Flying due to the Restrained property of Tanglevine. And on top of that, while a Restrained creature may still Guard (and its quick-action melee attacks gain the Counterstrike trait while it has a Guard token), other creatures may ignore a Restrained Guard.

That's fairly easy to forget, imo, and requires a pretty solid understanding of the rules and conditions; e.g. hard for a beginner to grasp - not to imply you're a beginner, but just commenting that these kinds of rules interactions are one of the reasons Mage Wars (Arena) is considered to have a high learning curve.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
Don't know why Tanglevine escaped my mind.

Probably because Tanglevine can't target Flying creatures, but a creature loses Flying when Guarding, which makes it susceptible to being targeted by Tanglevine. Then once Tanglevine is attached to the (Guarding) Guardian Angel, it then can't regain Flying due to the Restrained property of Tanglevine. And on top of that, while a Restrained creature may still Guard (and its quick-action melee attacks gain the Counterstrike trait while it has a Guard token), other creatures may ignore a Restrained Guard.

That's fairly easy to forget, imo, and requires a pretty solid understanding of the rules and conditions; e.g. hard for a beginner to grasp - not to imply you're a beginner, but just commenting that these kinds of rules interactions are one of the reasons Mage Wars (Arena) is considered to have a high learning curve.

I agree- we've still only been playing less than a year, so compared to most on this forum, I probably am at the beginner level. I knew all the rules you stated above, but you're right- they sort of escaped me when sitting down to put my book together. As Puddnhead pointed out, there are a lot of options. Glad I asked the question. Got a few solid ideas to try out.

Looks like I'll be adding a few tanglevines to my wizard book  :P