May 03, 2024, 11:47:31 AM

Author Topic: Forcemaster 2-on-2 build  (Read 4004 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forcemaster 2-on-2 build
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »
Submitted for your approval:
I used this Forcemaster book in a 4-player team game last night (Priest/Warlock v Beastmaster/Forcemaster). It's similar to the list I'd use in a 1-on-1 game, but with the Beastmaster on my side there was no potential for any shenanigans with Mordok's obelisk or suppression orb.

Mage: Forcemaster

Equipment –
Colossus belt [2]
Dancing scimitar [2]
Dancing scimitar [2]
Defense ring [2]
Eagleclaw boots [2]
Elemental cloak [2]
Enchanter’s ring [2]
Force ring [1]
Galvitar, force blade [3]
Gauntlets of strength [2]
Psi-orb [2]
Storm drake hide [2]

Conjurations –
Battle forge [4]
Temple of the Dawnbreaker [4]

Creatures –
Invisible stalker [5]

Incantations –
Battle fury [2]
Battle fury [2]
Dispel [2]
Dispel [2]
Dissolve [2]
Force bash [2]
Force bash [2]
Force push [1]
Force push [1]
Force wave [1]
Knockdown [1]
Mass sleep [4]
Repulse [1]
Sleep [2]
Steal equipment [3]
Teleport [4]

Enchantments –
Bear strength [2]
Bear strength [2]
Block [1]
Cheetah speed [2]
Decoy [1]
Divine protection [2]
Falcon precision [2]
Force crush [3]
Force crush [3]
Force field [4]
Force hold [2]
Force sword [1]
Mind control [6]
Mongoose agility [2]
Nullify [2]
Nullify [2]
Regrowth [2]
Rhino hide [2]
Stumble [1]
Stumble [1]
Vampirism [4]

Attacks –
Force hammer [2]
Force hammer [2]

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster 2-on-2 build
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »
Ok- I've got to get this off of my chest- Due to your oping line- I read the whole post in the voice of Rod Serling as he narrated in the twilight zone.  Not even a joke....

Yeah- looks like a completely solid build to me. I dont think you could go wrong here.

Personally- I can imagine not using Thoughtspores in my FM builds- but thats just a personal thing....I love that card.

(Also- I am curious to see how your game went! ;D)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
Right, how the game went.

In the opening turn, the Warlock dropped a mana crystal and I can't remember what else, the beastmaster cast a harmonized lair in NC, the Priest placed a Temple of Asyra and I played Cheetah Speed on my Forcemaster, advanced 2, and put a Battle Forge in FC. From there things went the way you'd expect, on turn 2 the Warlock and Priest cast Necropian Vampiress and Knight of Westlock respectively, the Beastmaster cast Bear Strength on my Forcemaster, and I pulled out Force Ring and Galvitar and started working on the Priest.

In the mid game the priest tried to defend himself from the Forcemaster, the Warlock tried to curse/vamp attack the Forcemaster out of the fight, and the Beastmaster healed/buffed the Forcemaster while summoning a swarm of level 1s + Cervere from the Lair.

I eventually locked the priest down with a Force Crush, so he used Divine Intervention to teleport himself to the opposite corner of the arena. That put him out of the fight for several rounds, so I decided to ignore him. By that point I was very low on health myself, but had Vampirism thanks to the Beastmaster, so I spent a few turns double-striking the vampiress to regain some health. In the meantime the Beastmaster's swarm went to work on the Warlock and eventually brought him down (but not before most of them got incinerated by a Ring of Fire). With the Warlock gone and the Priest low on health, the Priest conceded (I was still pretty weak, but the Beastmaster had only gotten hit once or twice).

Overall I was pleased with the game. I was playing dangerously with no creatures and a very aggressive tempo, and there were several moments when a better attack roll by the Warlock could have killed me outright. However, I felt like I was able to control the pace of the game, which threw the other team off-balance. It also kept the game from going too long (we finished the whole thing in 2 hours).

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
I could see the BM with his mass amount of buffs and the forcemaster with her offence working very well together.

Great game BTW- glad you shared it.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Racticas

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
I played the warlock and made a few key mistakes in the game.

Early on, the Forcemaster got in my face and I started reacting to him instead of doing my own thing.  It was a matter of panic, and it took me a few rounds to regain my composure.  Classic mistake, and it put me behind the mana/gear curve.

In mid-game, I laid two fireballs on the FM in one turn not realizing he was wearing a dragon scale hauberk and that fireball was avoidable.  He was near death and bogged down with curses at the time.  The turn before I had exploded a ring of his (arbitrary choice) and if I had been paying attention I would have exploded the hauberk instead.  Again, it was a matter of absent-mindedness and not knowing the cards well enough.

Still, I have gotten somewhat scared of FM as a warlock player, and the amount of pain I poured on webcatcher this game  has given me some more confidence.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »
Hey, Racticas, glad to see you on the forums. The Forcemaster definitely has a different pace and playstyle than the other mages, which part of why I like her. Once you get some experience with it I'm sure we'll have some better games. In our game today (not the 4 person game, for anyone else reading this) if you'd put some mana into your voltaric shield and added some iron golems I would've had a real hard time.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:21:10 AM »
I'm fine-tuning here - this is a revised version of the previous list that I'm using for solo play and I've tried it out in a couple of games. I'd really like to fit an Eagle Wings in, but the points are tight. What should I eliminate to get the extra points? Is the second forcefield too much? Or I could drop 1 force hold, 1 force push, and 1 stumble.

Colossus belt
Dancing scimitar
Dancing scimitar
Defense ring
Eagleclaw boots
Elemental cloak
Force ring
Galvitar, force blade
Gauntlets of strength
Psi-orb
Storm drake hide
Dragonscale Hauberk

Battle forge
Temple of the Dawnbreaker

Invisible stalker

Battle fury
Dispel
Dispel
Dissolve
Force bash
Force push
Force push
Force wave
Knockdown
Mass sleep
Repulse
Sleep
Steal equipment
Teleport

Falcon precision
Force crush
Force field
Force field
Force hold
Force hold
Mind control
Mongoose agility
Nullify
Nullify
Regrowth
Rhino hide
Stumble
Stumble
Vampirism
Charm
Charm
Bear strength
Bear strength
Block
Cheetah speed
Decoy

Force hammer
Force hammer

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
I'd really like to fit an Eagle Wings in, but the points are tight. What should I eliminate to get the extra points?

Why do you want to fit eagle wings into this build? You can't use it on yourself or the invisible stalker.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
Thanks for the catch. I completely missed that Eagle Wings was non-mage.