May 06, 2024, 02:38:27 AM

Author Topic: Earth Spells  (Read 5861 times)

jmmeye2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Earth Spells
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »
I wanted to imagine an Earth wizard, but it was hard with so few Earth cards released so far with only the Core Set.  So I started imagining my own... (I also posted this on BoardGameGeek forums).

Gargoyle
Conjuration
quick spell
casting cost: 5
School: earth 1
Armor: 5
Life: 4
During its action phase or while guarding Gargoyle has [-5 ARMOR] and becomes a Creature with Flying.
ATTACK: "Slash" [FULL] [MELEE] [2]

Boulder
Attack
Quick Spell
Casting Cost: X
School: Earth 1
Range: 0-2
Target: Creature or Conjuration
ATTACK: [RANGED] [EARTH] [X] : Blunt, Stun
(Blunt attacks only deal damage with non-critical die rolls)

Eruption
Enchantment
Quick Action
Casting Cost: 2
School: Earth 2 Fire 1
Life: 1
Range: 0-1
Target: Zone
Extendable
When Earthquake targets this zone you must reveal this, if you do that earthquake loses Blunt and causes an additional Burn.

Earthquake
Attack
Full Action
Casting Cost: X
School: Earth 3
Range: 0-1
Target: Zone
ATTACK: [MELEE] [EARTH] [X] : Blunt, effect die roll 4-9 daze, 9-12 stun

The ideas started from the basic theme that Earth revolves around armor.  Blunt attacks punish opponents who neglect armor, and reward the Earth Mage who focuses in Armor.

Gargoyle is a basic creature who complements a defensive style quite well, and is resilient to the Earthquake spell used by the summoning mage.

Boulder is the basic Earth attack and automatically stuns the target.  At low mana levels its damage does not compare to other elements like Fire, but it can do immense damage when more mana is spent, potentially crushing the opponent in one blow by sheer physical force.  This not only supports the defensive Earth Mage style, but also puts a clock on the opponent who is reckless and overaggressive if the Earth Mage is building a large supply of mana.

Eruption not only increases Earthquake damage dramatically but also serves as a deterrent for a rushing opponent.  Opponents will think twice before rushing an army of creatures into a space when a face down enchantment could be Eruption.

Earthquake is like Boulder, but hits an area of effect.  If the mage splashes fire he can use Earthquake with Eruption for increased damage, especially against armored targets who may have survived previous Earth attacks.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Spells
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
I've passed these ideas along to the design team :-)

jmmeye2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Spells
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
Quote from: "SeanDeCoy" post=2491
I've passed these ideas along to the design team :-)

That's cool.  

Boulder auto-stun is probably overpowered, perhaps d12 roll, 2-6 Daze, 7-12 stun is better.