May 08, 2024, 11:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers  (Read 378029 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »
As for the Paladin, I find it interesting that he seems really good at fielding a Goblin swarm.  Although it will depend what his Spawnpoint restricts (if he has one).  Either of the middle auras (melee +1/piercing +2 or tough -2/armor +2) seem really good on a cheap Goblin swarm... although he could just as easily run Temple Sentries.

By the way, is it just me or does it seem reasonably easy to make the Chivalrous Challenge somewhat unchivalrous / asymmetric: just have a creature (perhaps Knight of the Red Helm) Guard to prevent the "challenged" creature from attacking your Paladin (assuming it isn't Elusive... which reminds me, I hope Victorian Griffin is included in this set! See below), then attack that creature with your Paladin. If it's the "strongest" creature, then gain 2 Valor! (e.g. 1 for the Paladin attacking it, and 1 for it not attacking your Paladin)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:45:24 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
Still, it makes for an interesting solo option for the Siren: Buff herself up and give herself an additional Melee +2 every round, like a 1-mana Power Strike that doesn't cost an action.  It would also seem to prevent her succumbing to a Reverse Attack, since she wouldn't be allowed to attack herself (?).  Combine that with Regenerate 1 as long as she's in an aquatic zone, and she's a very solid solo mage.
I think you overlooked the fact, that the call can only target non-mage creatures, though :(

Hypothetically it is still a good question.

But yes it goes on other non-mages

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
Yes!

Thanks Aaron for the post.  This is a lot to think about.  Both of them are extremely cool mages...can't wait to try out!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
No apology necessary.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2016, 01:03:27 PM »
As for the Paladin, I find it interesting that he seems really good at fielding a Goblin swarm.  Although it will depend what his Spawnpoint restricts (if he has one).  Either of the middle auras (melee +1/piercing +2 or tough -2/armor +2) seem really good on a cheap Goblin swarm... although he could just as easily run Temple Sentries.

By the way, is it just me or does it seem reasonably easy to make the Chivalrous Challenge somewhat unchivalrous / asymmetric: just have a creature Guard to prevent the "challenged" creature from attacking your Paladin - assuming it isn't Elusive... which reminds me, I hope Victorian Griffin is included in this set!

Well technically since all non-legendary creatures are just mana constructs, your mage is really having indirect honor duels with the enemy mage... ;)
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »
The siren seems to be a counter to buddy builds. Maybe mind shield will see some use. Also, KRH is a he first job zombie, jelly, golem, or level 8 creature to have phycic immunity.

Sirens not trained in mind control& :(
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
The paladin also has a ton of flexibility. He can go cheap war creatures, essentially spamming goblins and buffing them. He could go the route of big tank. Or he could have 1-2 buddies and buffs them. These are just some of the possibilities.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
The paladin also has a ton of flexibility. He can go cheap war creatures, essentially spamming goblins and buffing them. He could go the route of big tank. Or he could have 1-2 buddies and buffs them. These are just some of the possibilities.

Wait till you see the rest of his bag. It gets better

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 04, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »

Wait till you see the rest of his bag. It gets better

Uh oh!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

By the way, is it just me or does it seem reasonably easy to make the Chivalrous Challenge somewhat unchivalrous / asymmetric: just have a creature Guard to prevent the "challenged" creature from attacking your Paladin - assuming it isn't Elusive... which reminds me, I hope Victorian Griffin is included in this set!

He dies have the temple of asyra.
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »
He dies have the temple of asyra.

Nice.  I checked Barracks and saw it's "Warlord only" but then didn't bother to check the Temple of Asrya as I assumed it was "Priest(ess) only."  But it's "Holy Mage only" and level 3, so that's right in the Paladin's wheelhouse!

Unfortunately, that means he isn't so great at spawning hordes of Goblins... which is good from a thematic perspective at least.  Temple Sentries and Disciples of Radiance would probably be easier for him to swarm with.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
Awesome spoiler!
Paladin freakin rocks. Having training in [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]Harshforge Plate[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard] is pretty sweet. For all you OCTGN players he is also trained in Ballista (a fun promo card for non-octgn people)!! Something about Ballista with [mwcard=MW1J24]Temple of Light[/mwcard] sounds like a fun combo to me   :P

Siren with Shallow Sea is amazing. You can get shallow sea, call an enemy creature into it (give it melee -1) and have your shark people (or any other aquatic creature like the siren) get melee +1. 
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
Awesome spoiler!
Paladin freakin rocks. Having training in [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]Harshforge Plate[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard] is pretty sweet. For all you OCTGN players he is also trained in Ballista (a fun promo card for non-octgn people)!! Something about Ballista with [mwcard=MW1J24]Temple of Light[/mwcard] sounds like a fun combo to me   :P

Siren with Shallow Sea is amazing. You can get shallow sea, call an enemy creature into it (give it melee -1) and have your shark people (or any other aquatic creature like the siren) get melee +1.

Hadn't thought out that, good point! Yeah, balliata temple of light, malikias Halifax will make a deadly combo.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »
Awesome spoiler!

Hadn't thought out that, good point! Yeah, balliata temple of light, malikias Halifax will make a deadly combo.
sorry for the typos, typing on my phone while in a rocking car isn't easy.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Still, it makes for an interesting solo option for the Siren: Buff herself up and give herself an additional Melee +2 every round, like a 1-mana Power Strike that doesn't cost an action.  It would also seem to prevent her succumbing to a Reverse Attack, since she wouldn't be allowed to attack herself (?).  Combine that with Regenerate 1 as long as she's in an aquatic zone, and she's a very solid solo mage.
I think you overlooked the fact, that the call can only target non-mage creatures, though :(

If I understand the question correctly, you are asking if you reveal a Reverse Attack on a creature that is not allowed to attack itself, what happens. This is covered in the rules supplement.

Quote from: Rules Supplement page 44
When this creature is attacked, you must reveal Reverse Attack during the Avoid Attack Step. The attack is avoided and then redirected back; this creature becomes the new source (although the attacker stays the same), and the original source becomes the new target (even if the original source would not normally be a legal target), for the next 2 steps (Roll Dice and Damage and Effects). Then, destroy Reverse Attack. If the attack is Unavoidable, destroy Reverse Attack without effect.

But yes it goes on other non-mages

Emphasis is mine. Even if the attacker is not normally a legal target for the attack, Reverse Attack still functions. So the creature would still hit itself. Some other pertinent examples include:

1. [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] casting a [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]Devil's Trident[/mwcard] and getting it reversed back.
2. [mwcard=FWC16]Thoughtspore[/mwcard] casting a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]Surging Wave[/mwcard] and getting it reversed back.

Both are examples of where the attacker would not normally be a legal target, but are still subjected to the attack when Reverse Attack is used.