May 03, 2024, 06:24:21 PM

Author Topic: Chain Lightning and Reverse Attack  (Read 4623 times)

willyv

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Chain Lightning and Reverse Attack
« on: March 16, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »
Read the cards, read the FAQ, as far as I can tell there is nothing saying you can not target a creature you control, correct??? IF true, then I can target one of my own creatures that I have sneakily placed a Reverse attack on and then reveal it when I target him and do a "second" attack on the creature I just attacked AND continue on with the Chain Lightning...Yes?  A little spendy in mana but nasty.

yo_predator

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Lightning and Reverse Attack
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
I think you are correct. I can't think of anything that prevents this scenario from happening.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
The card reads: "redirect the attack back to the attacker, who now becomes the target of that attack. You become the controller of that attack." If you are the controller, perhaps you can pick another target but I would say it leans toward, the lightning having to come back to the attacker (you), not your ideal 2nd target.  I would still like to see Shad0w rule on this.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
Taken from page 14 of the FAQ.

If Chain Lightning is reversed by a Reverse Attack enchantment, the attack is redirected to the last target of Chain Lightning, not to the caster.

There is more information on Chain Lightening in the entry, but this is the part pertinent to the discussion.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
Yes, Reverse Attack redirects it back to you (the attacker)....  There's no 2nd attack on another creature.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Quote from: "Aarrow" post=9366
Yes, Reverse Attack redirects it back to you (the attacker)....  There's no 2nd attack on another creature.

Tacullu64 is correct, so yes, you could do that if you had the mana handy.

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:32 AM »
Taken from page 14 of the FAQ.

If Chain Lightning is reversed by a Reverse Attack enchantment, the attack is redirected to the last target of Chain Lightning, not to the caster.

There is more information on Chain Lightening in the entry, but this is the part pertinent to the discussion.

Exactly this came up during last nights game. It's still a little unclear, though, what exactly happens: on the one hand no creature may be targeted twice by Chain Lightning. On the other hand, the FAQs state, that in the case of Reverse Attack the Attack is being redirected to the last target of Chain Lightnining (which already has been targeted). Now what happens:

1) does it actually take damage a second time?

And, more importently: how does the Attack go from there?

2) May Chain Lightning look for another viable target, which hasn't been targeted yet, or is it immediately cancelled upon revealing Reverse Attack and resolving its consequences? And in case it's not allowed to deal damage a second time, shouldn't then CL be cancelled right away?

3) Say, Reverse Attack is being revealed right on the first target. Then the Attack is being redirected at the caster, who now takes damage. But what then? Does it continue to zap to another target?

4) And when Block is revealed somewhere during Chain Lightning, does it cancel the whole Chain Lightning-Attack right away? I think it should, because the card clearly states, that CL only continues to zap, when it has dealt damage AND another viable target is around.

I'm a bit confused here. :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:07:18 AM by diceman »

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »
When chain lighting hits a first target then sees another and is reversed it goes back to the first target and hits it again then proceeds as normal seeking new targets except (I think probly wrong) the target that reversed it...

If the first target you choose has a reverse attack it hits you first then you choose whom it hits next...except the person who reversed it....

If block is revealed the attack stops right there

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »
Hmm, okay, thanks. :)
So with Reverse Attack a creature CAN actually be hit twice during one CL-Attack.
As I see it, though (and the wording on the CL-card supports this), CL shouldn't be allowed to attack a creature which as revealed Reverse Attack a second time during the same CL-Attack. An attack is an attack is an attack, no matter if it has been cancelled/reversed/whatever.
This still has to be cleared up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
To help clarify, you might want to look up the entry for Reverse Attack in the FAQ as well. In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, it does take damage a second time. The updated wording on Reverse Attack in the FAQ specifies that the source of the attack becomes the new target even if it would not normally be a legal target.  Afterwards, the original controller of the attack gets to continue with any additional attacks he was allowed. Thus...

2) The original controller of Chain Lightning would be allowed to continue choosing targets for his spell. Now, I am a little unsure on one point of this, and that is whether or not you can attempt to attack the target that had the reverse attack on them again. The original wording of Chain Lightning would suggest you can not, however the updated wording in the FAQ would suggest that you can (since you haven't actually damaged that target, they are not an illegal target per the updated wording). I will search around and see if I can figure this out for you.

3) Yes, you could continue to zap another target.

4) Block would indeed cancel the whole kit and kaboodle. No more targets, no more attacks.