May 27, 2024, 03:34:59 PM

Author Topic: Is spellbinding optional when "swapping out" spells?  (Read 3838 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is spellbinding optional when "swapping out" spells?
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »
I looked through a bunch of threads for an answer, but I didn't see anything that specifically answered it... so:

1) Can I choose to not attach a new spell to an object that has the Spellbind trait when swapping the original spell out?

Application / Example: I have a Wizard Tower that I know is going to be destroyed during the initial quickcast phase of the following turn. May I simply remove the attached attack spell and not replace it at the beginning of that turn, rather than looking for an attack spell that I mind losing the least with which to replace it instead?

2) Can the recipient Mage of an Elemental Wand (for example) choose not to bind any attack spell from his spellbook when the Elemental Wand spell is resolved?

Application / Example: Mage chooses to leave the wand without a spell anticipating a Dissolve or Explode spell being cast to destroy it. He figures that he can "swap" an attack spell in for three mana as one spell, and then cast the attack spell with the wand later in the same round.

As an aside: I imagine that such a wand would have to remain without a bound spell if the recipient Mage had no qualifying spells in his spellbook at the time the wand was cast. Such a situation would not prevent the wand spell from resolving, since the bound spell is determined after the wand's resolution....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Is spellbinding optional when "swapping out" spells?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »
The Wizard Tower is special because it is both familiar and spellbind.

Which means either you cast it or not, the spell return to your spellbook at the end of the round of the round. So you can decide to not prepare a new one for the next round.

For the wand, as far as rule is written, you can not choose to not bind a spell to it and neither change it to nothing.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
With the wizards tower you can choose to bind a spell or not bind a spell. You can also change the spell each round. Even if you choose to not change the spell, you should pretend you changed it to keep your opponent off guard.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Quote from: English Rulebook v3 page 21
When you cast a spell with the Spellbind trait, you may immediately bind a spell to it.

You are not required to bind a spell when you cast an object with the Spellbind trait. It is optional. Thus, the recipient of the Elemental Wand may leave the wand without an attached spell when they receive it.

However, I am not able to locate any rules regarding unbinding a bound spell without replacement. Without such a ruling, I would say that neither the Tower nor the Wand could remove a bound spell without replacement after their initial cast. Both cards have the wording that you may "change" the bound spell, which I would interpret as requiring a replacement, but I do think there is some ambiguity there that could use an official ruling.

Wildhorn is incorrect about the Tower. Even though it is a Familiar, it does not prepare it's spells like other familiars do. Therefore the spell does not return to it's owner's spellbook during the planning stage because it is not a prepared spell.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
The wizards tower says "During planning stage you may change the bound spell."

That would mean that during the planning stage the spell would return to your book and a new spell would be placed there.

If you choose to change the spell a card has to be placed under the tower, you can't return a spell and replace it with nothing because the tower is going to be destroyed.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid