May 04, 2024, 01:45:04 AM

Author Topic: Online Weekly Wonder Mage Wars Tournament!  (Read 4683 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Online Weekly Wonder Mage Wars Tournament!
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »
OCTGN is now having weekly Mage Wars tournaments! Every Saturday evening! Here's how it works:

1. Vote on a format

Every Saturday and Sunday, there will be a weekly wonder poll, where you can vote on what format you want to see next week. Standard 1v1 Arena will be the preferred default format, but if enough people want another format for a particular week, then you might just see it featured in the next Weekly Wonder Tournament! The format is announced after registration is complete. The number of judges and participants varies with the format, and so does the kind of map.

1v1: 4 participants, 1 judge. Played on a 3x4 zone map.
2v2: 8 participants, 2 judges. Played on a 4x5 zone map.
1v1v1: 9 Participants, 3 judges. Played on a 3x5 zone map, with a spiked pit terrain in zones b2, b4, and c3.
Zones are counted left to right (123...) and top to bottom (abc...)

All tournaments are elimination style, not round robin.

All matches should allow spectators.

2. Registration

Judges:
If you want to be a judge next week, simply post in this thread saying you want to judge next week.
Judge registration is first come first serve.
Judges should have a fairly decent understanding of the rules, but more importantly must be able to spectate a game of Mage Wars on OCTGN and see who wins, then report the outcome of the match honestly, as well as be able to look things up in the rulebook or on the forums and understand those things in order to help settle any rules disputes between the players. Especially if they cannot resolve it on their own.
Judges are also in charge of spellbook registration and making sure nobody changes their spellbooks during the tournament.
The judges are also in charge of scheduling the times of the matches to work with each participant. Participants must be notified of the times of their matches at least two days in advance.
You cannot participate in a tournament that you are judging.

Participants:
If you want to be in next week's weekly wonder tournament, simply post in the thread below saying you want to participate next week.
Once participant and judge registration is done, you will submit a spellbook to the judge(s).
Once submitted, you are not allowed to change your spellbook.
Let the judge(s) know your availability for the day of the tournament at least three days in advance. They will notify you of when your first match is at least two days in advance. Don't forget to rate your judge(s) after the tournament!

If you win you get a Wonder Magnet! Wonder Magnets are like Banana stickers, but instead of being awarded for being nice and helpful, they're awarded for great feats of magical fighting prowess.

The first Weekly Wonder tournament will be on Saturday, December 10th, and it will be in 1v1 Standard Arena format. Registration begins now!

Note: it is strongly recommended that you use timers on the planning phases unless you and your opponent both agree not to use them.

We might have weekly academy tournaments too if and when enough people want them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:56:29 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Online Weekly Wonder Mage Wars Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:34 PM »
What time frame and how many games are expected for one person to be able to play each days/weekend? Most of us live in different time zones.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:22:37 AM »
What time frame and how many games are expected for one person to be able to play each days/weekend? Most of us live in different time zones.

It's a different separate tournament each week. The judge(s) for the week will work with the participants to schedule the matches to fit the participants' schedules. Also, each tournament is elimination style not round round robin. 1v1 is 4 participants, 2v2 is 8 participants, and 1v1v1 is 9 participants. Therefore, if you win your first match, you will play one more match, regardless of format.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:26:44 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
Hi! Since nobody is registering for this week's weekly wonder, I would like to point out that it's only a four person tournament this week, and the only prize for winning is a wonder magnet.

That is to say, this is NOT a big pro level players-only kind of event. This is a "show off my spellbook and my skills and get a shiny wonder magnet to put on my octgn or forum profile, once a week just because" kind of event. The admw isn't for over a week! Let's start registering for the Weekly  Wonder everybody! We still need four participants and 1 judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
Hello Sailor Vulcan,

I maybe joining, my group was planning to play mage wars that night (physical copy), but we may be able to join. If so Expect anywhere from 2 - 4 players. 

Werekingdom
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 02:11:24 AM »
Hi

I forgot to ask what time will the tournament start?

Kill with Tanglevine

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:38:55 AM »
Hi

There isn't a strict starting time. It depends on the schedules of the participants and the judge(s).

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Hi

There isn't a strict starting time. It depends on the schedules of the participants and the judge(s).

Thanks,
If we can get on, it will be probably 6:30/7:00 pst.
Kill with Tanglevine

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
Alright. Who's judging? We still need a judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
If we can set up the computers then I can also provide a judge.
Kill with Tanglevine