May 03, 2024, 08:28:51 PM

Author Topic: goblin builder fix  (Read 8950 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
goblin builder fix
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
I understand that once you release a card you can't change it so all you can do is implement other cards to buff/nerf.

I think it is near universal opinion that the goblin builder is one of the worst cards in the game and I had an idea to fix it.

add an enchantment called "work tools" which can only be attached to a creature with repair skills (I think that's what the builder has, don't have cards on me). this would either make the repair a quick action or increase the repair by 1d.

change the values for balance and such
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: goblin builder fix
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:16:21 AM »
I understand that once you release a card you can't change it so all you can do is implement other cards to buff/nerf.

I think it is near universal opinion that the goblin builder is one of the worst cards in the game and I had an idea to fix it.

add an enchantment called "work tools" which can only be attached to a creature with repair skills (I think that's what the builder has, don't have cards on me). this would either make the repair a quick action or increase the repair by 1d.

change the values for balance and such

I think it would be useful if they made the following changes.
1) Can cast as a quick action.
2) Can remove 3d damage from a corporeal conjuration ("damage" rolled on 3 dice)
"See you space cowboy..."

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »
well I think both of those options would be a bit over powered. so I suggested the OR option.
so you can choose to constantly repair one structure easily or run around the field doing 1 damage repair as a quick action.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »
I don't think wasting time healing conjurations is what you want to be doing in the first place... Sure, it would be great to save to spawnpoints/conjurations/chanelling, but in all honesty, if they are wasting time to attack those things, you are gaining at least 1 tempi, why not use that to your fullest advantage?
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »
I don't think wasting time healing conjurations is what you want to be doing in the first place... Sure, it would be great to save to spawnpoints/conjurations/chanelling, but in all honesty, if they are wasting time to attack those things, you are gaining at least 1 tempi, why not use that to your fullest advantage?

I agree. That is why the Goblin Builders wouldn't be overpowered if you made the changes I suggested. I admit, I think it is silly to repair conjurations, but that is precisely why if you DO want to repair your conjurations you should be able to do it swiftly and efficiently. Trust me. Nobody is going to complain about Goblin Builders being overpowered if they heal conjurations with 3d dice. On average you will remove 3 damage. Even then I probably wouldn't use Goblin Builders. But the way they currently are I don't see ANY competitive spellbooks using them, which isn't surprising. 

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »
Maybe there would be some way to make it so he could actually augment corporeal conjurations by increasing their life, armor, or melee. Now that is a Goblin Builder I would use. Have him build a wall and then attach spikes to it! It is possible that with future sets and more conjurations released he will becoming more useful, but his repair ability is pretty underwhelming.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
I like the way you think, Pig man. Would make the title "Builder" slightly more thematic as well. +1 armor  might be a little OP though. Would cast right after battle forge and pump +1 Armor forever. Or something even more spicy like death lock. Granted, it's not the BEST thing you could be doing, but saving your important conjurations while ACTUALLY advancing your board state isn't bad, even if the change is minuscule.
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »
Maybe there would be some way to make it so he could actually augment corporeal conjurations by increasing their life, armor, or melee. Now that is a Goblin Builder I would use. Have him build a wall and then attach spikes to it! It is possible that with future sets and more conjurations released he will becoming more useful, but his repair ability is pretty underwhelming.

I like this idea too.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
Thank you Padwan  ;D , any augmentation ability would have to be limited of course.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
As a side note, I'd have liked builders to be able to put load tokens on war machines.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »
As a side note, I'd have liked builders to be able to put load tokens on war machines.

That would have been really neat. All of these suggestions, which are balanced and sync well, make me realize how much of a missed opportunity Goblin Builders were.  :(

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
But GB in beastmaster. You'll see how great it can be.
Always carry a towel...

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »
explain Padwan, what is he building for you.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
explain Padwan, what is he building for you.

Totems and walls I'm guessing, since GBs can't cast Tanglevine.

It might be ok actually, at least for the walls, since most BM builds aren't exactly going to win an attack-spell war.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:32:25 AM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »
But GB in beastmaster. You'll see how great it can be.

Ehhh... I'm still not convinced.