May 02, 2024, 08:56:03 PM

Author Topic: goblin builder fix  (Read 8949 times)

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: goblin builder fix
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
Now forged in fire has come out, I am looking at goblin builder again.

The master engineer adds armor to walls, so fine, but the builder is still not performing. I think increasing his cast distance to 0-1 or making his cast a quick action would be an elegant solution.

I don't see why the restriction existed in the first place... But either way, he probably remains too slow to be useful. Given speed, he could be much more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:16:35 PM by Mrmt »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
goblin builder fix
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »
The goblin builder is a soldier. Hold the line! Quick march for getting to and healing conjurations quickly. As for the Bloodwave warlord, the builder is ok with him, but he's not THAT great. It is good to have an extra action for casting outposts and stuff, which is still quite valuable.

My assessment could be completely wrong though. I have only little experience with the warlord.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:46:18 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
I think this should be moved to the "spells" section rather than suggestions

I'm sure [mwcard=FWC04] Goblin Builder[/mwcard] suck so much because they were too good in some obscure combination which never came out.

Here are some things they are good at:
non-legendary(6 out at once), not mage exclusive
cheap: 5 mana, level 1
comparable to goblin grunts(1 more mana, 2 more life, one less damage, pest)
the only conjuration familiar
one of only two things which can heal (nonliving nonskeletal) conjurations

The power of goblin builders is based on the power of conjurations. because most conjurations are zone-exclusive, these builders only spend every second turn building something, which is the dealbreaker for most people. As more conjurations come out for all mages, these builders will become better. If good non-Zone-Exclusive conjurations come out for non druids, these guys will rock without any changes.

Current non-zone exclusive conjurations i would use for them(I'm not counting [mwcard=DNJ08] Seedling Pod[/mwcard] or [mwcard=DNJ06] Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard]):
[mwcard=FWJ06] Mangler Caltrops[/mwcard]

Walls including: [mwcard=FWW01] Wall of Pikes[/mwcard] [mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01] Wall of Earth[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1J15] Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]

[mwcard=DNJ02] Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]

I would enjoy one of these overpowered changes:
1)Can repair walls, which isnt a big deal, except for regenerating armored walls(which could heal 8 damage per turn from creatures)
2)Some way to allow them to build 2 zone exclusives in a row(can move after building, can build as a quick action, let them build at range, ect)
3)Let them "pray" at the construction yard for one mana like priests do at altar of skulls
4)Casting him is a quick action like tataree

I am curious to see how these builders will interact with upcoming terrain. Unless terrain is "attached" to a zone, they may need an errata.

now that i've thought about them, I'm going to dream up a book that uses conjurations(from builders) to block and ranged creatures to damage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:06:23 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
One thing they are more useful now for is Building Outposts like Archers Watchtowers and Garrison Posts for a Altar of Domination/Talos play.

Would like to see them loose the Pest trait since they are they are soldiers but currently they cannot be used for Conquer.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest